LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

k-member and a-arms worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default k-member and a-arms worth it?

Thinking about putting bmr k-member and upper and lower a-arms in my 97 camaro. So just wondering is it worth installing the k-member and a-arms?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a daily driver and I have this setup on my TA. The weight reduction was worth it to me even though I only go to the track a few times a year. I would think that most people only do this if they are serious about every hundredth. I did it because weight reduction was one of the ways I wanted to reach my goal of mid 12's. I actually ended up hitting high 11's. Having this light weight setup was part of reaching my goal, so it was worth it to me.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Not worth it for a DD car. From what Ive read, know one at the moment has a decent design Kmember that is reccomended for DD abuse and pot holes etc. UMI is suppose to be coming out with one but I still dont think they will reccomend it for a DD. As for the A-arms, I curious to how much it saves and if it's worth doing alone without doing the kmember also.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Not worth it for a DD car. From what Ive read, know one at the moment has a decent design Kmember that is reccomended for DD abuse and pot holes etc. UMI is suppose to be coming out with one but I still dont think they will reccomend it for a DD. As for the A-arms, I curious to how much it saves and if it's worth doing alone without doing the kmember also.

I forget the exact number of lbs. I was going to go with tubular A-arms when one of mine broke. However it was still a whole lot of money for not so much weight reduction. (I do realize that my post has no numbers in it )

Of course the K-member and A-arms would help. I do not think it is worth going that route unless you are trying to squeeze every ounce from a SI car, or you have a heavily modded car with not much more direction to take on it. There are a whole bunch of mods that have more "bang for your buck" I am with Honda Hunter on the DD aspect of it also.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Veteran

I did the k member but I kept the stock A arms. The k member in itself is the best deal. You drop so many lbs (I think I read as much as 30, but I don't recall that kind of weight difference while moving them around) and cost is $250-$400. I bought mine used for $250. A arms used are impossible to find. So buying the upper and lowers new is like $700 for about 7 lbs at most. That's why I chose K member only.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Good advice from all these guys, I went with a K-mem & upper/lower A-arms because I went extreme with the whole damn car, didn't want anything holding me back. The upper A-arms don't way much less than the stockers, not even sure the lowers weight that much less, but the pics on BMRs website do no justice for what these look like in person, they are massive well built pieces along with the K-member.

As for daily drivers, well honestly I never got that term, I plan on driving mine every day, only 8 miles to work granted, but still...thats every day ...
Old 06-01-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

is it worth it....maby or maby not, it depends on what your looking for and your goals and stuff. if your on a budget and you want to make the car go xxx fast on xxx amount of $ then it may not be somthign you want to do as its not going to make any power for you.
i had it on my car (bmr) and they are very nice pieces that i wouldnt mind daily driving. the k member frees up alot of room which was another reason i did it.

brook
Old 06-01-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh yeah the room is incredible. The only problem I have now is jacking it. I used to put it in the center of the stock k member and jack it right up.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got no problems with mine. Got the K-member and upper/lower A arms. Drives great and handles well on the curves. Got them with the QA1's shocks and the QA1 front springs. I got no issues. I made my own Subframes out of 1"x2" square tubing which also makes it great to put a jack underneith

Last edited by streetwarrior96; 06-01-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

What about the horror stories of people with them on street cars?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

even the factory suspension is not meant for abuse and pot holes. Unless maybe you switch over to Rancho suspension with a lift kit?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Abuse meaning the welds arent the weak spot when going over a pothole. A stock K-member will last the life of a car. The same cant be said about aftermarket tubular Kmember though some do last Im sure. Ive heard horror stories about the BMR and another brand I cant remember which has scared me away. I want one very bad because My car is in the 3900 range with my heavy *** in it so I need to drop some weight soon. I just want to do it safelly and not have to fear the crappy roads I encounter everyday.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Abuse meaning the welds arent the weak spot when going over a pothole. A stock K-member will last the life of a car. The same cant be said about aftermarket tubular Kmember though some do last Im sure. Ive heard horror stories about the BMR and another brand I cant remember which has scared me away. I want one very bad because My car is in the 3900 range with my heavy *** in it so I need to drop some weight soon. I just want to do it safelly and not have to fear the crappy roads I encounter everyday.

When I switch mine from factory to after market there was a 33 lbs differnce between the 2
Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had mine on the car for 3yrs, daily driving it. I can't imagine what people are doing to break these things?! I dropped 42lbs with the K member and A arms.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rare96WS6
I have had mine on the car for 3yrs, daily driving it. I can't imagine what people are doing to break these things?! I dropped 42lbs with the K member and A arms.

I am at the point where I am highly considering a K-member. Are they all pretty much created equal? (if there is such a thing )
Old 06-01-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did it. It was a whooping 33.2lbs!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Default k-member

If any one is interested in a used AJE k-member for I just put a sbc and had to change k-member to make the motor mounts work!! I found out after building my 383 motor mounts are different

Quick Reply: k-member and a-arms worth it?