LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Chit chat

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chit chat

I just had a few things I wanted to talk about. I've noticed that when I'm low on gas (1/4 tank), my performance is effected. I can't spin off the line with low gas. But when I fill it up, I can spin pretty good. I'm just curious if the computer regulates the fuel when low on gas.

I was racing a c5 z06 last saturday, which was a sweet *** night. He had some things done and it was all for fun. A single turbo supra was a chase car with a camera. We did 30mph rolls and I actually beat the z06 out of 1st gear (?). But I can't even count how many lengths he had at the end The supra was crazy. He cruzed along side of me while I was flooring it, then took off, passing the z06. My car hit the speed limiter at 105mph since I have 115mpg gauges. gayyy. But it was tight.

Sorry if off topic, but can someone atleast input on the gas issue.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldnt drive a LT1 Fbody below 1/4. Ive learned the gauge can be innacurate that low because of the Vshaped gas tank or something. I know Ive ran dry even when it reads I have fuel. Leason learned. Also when you run the tank low all the crap and sediments start to clogg the micron filter on the pickup or whatever it's called and cloggs the fuel filter which reduces fuel pressure and ultimitly performance. Im also sure it could clog injectors as well.
You have the speed limiter because from the factory you didnt get Z rated tires. I dont remember the RPO's but that tells it all. Ill bet you have the granny gears and the 2-3-D-N-R-P.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

never heard of this before....when one would race at the track you will only put a half tank in to save weight, meaning a full gas tank would make you slower. maybe you have water in your tank of something?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

He never said half, he said 1/4.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

what does that matter? if you have sediments in the gas its all not going to float. u did make a good point of the fuel filter and injectors and they should be replaced/cleaned. its quite possible ur theory is correct but dont tell him to role out mine. doesnt water float on top of gas? so when it gets down to a 1/4 tank and below the fuel pump is taking in the water with the gas. last time i heard water doesnt combust which would cause power loss. i still say he might have water in the tank....but what do i know?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Hey relax guy, I'm just your average Joe. Take a rest. I never discredited your idea. All I said was there is a difference between 1/2 tank and full tank. Ive seen on numerous boards and my own car some issues with going to far below the 1/4 and I learned it was because of the fuel tank design. I'm trying to remember when I told him to role out your idea. Given that fuel oil is lighter than water, the fuel oil actually floats on the water. The water accumulates at the bottom of the tank so I think your idea is very plausable which also makes you think mabey he just took in some bad gas.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

my bad ur right.....oil does float on water....im not bustin on anyone....it just seems like u were doggin me...u cant tell over the net....
Old 06-05-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

No prob bro. I seem to have a hard time getting my point across on the net without coming off as a a-hole. Some say I should use more smileys so In the end were all just trying to help eachother through collective brainstorming and expierince. I learn something new everyday on the boards and love sharing what I learned <---And here's another
Old 06-05-2006, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

LOL
Old 06-14-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, its still going on. I was just driving and it sometimes putters from a stop. I was giving it gas (from a stop) and it didn't do anything till it reved up and launched at like 1,700rpm. So i'm just going to drain the fuel tank. Does it have a drain plug by chance? Its too dark for me to check anything out. My friend just syphoned old gas from his car, so I can use his tool. Do you think I got water in my tank by washing my car. I usually open the fuel door and shoot water in it to get rocks that somehow get in there. But the cap is still on tight. Thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

1/4 on the gauge is really more like 1/8 or less in these cars. When the gauge gets that low you don't have much left.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, i notice my last 1/4 or so goes really, really quick, i try not to let it get below 1/4
Old 06-14-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Our gas tanks are kind of v shaped thus the reason for 1/4 tank = 1/8 of a tank. I learned this the hard way when I first got my TA and was enjoying a cruise with my family. The car started sputtering and losing power then It died at the light. I thought there was something seriously wrong with the car. Had no idea it was running out of gas because the guage was only a litlle bit past the 1/4 mark.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The sending unit is pretty annoying. Making any turn or accelerating can put the needle from one side to the other. Ok well I'll try to keep it above 1/4 tank. I have only filled the tank up twice. I always put 20 bucks in it and I get little above 3/4. It psychological to me, if I keep it at low gas, I won't be stomping on the gas all the time. If I have a lot of gas in it, I feel that I can run it hard all day.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:55 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not fun running out of gas, ive done it twice.

Quick Reply: Chit chat