LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

spun bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spun bearing?

I finaly worked up the motivation to start tearing down my car after I heard a really loud clack coming from the engine about 4 weeks ago. I just wanted to get the valve covers off to see if I could find any clues as to what went wrong.

that is what I found. theres a gold dust-like substance lying in each head in the oil. my guess now is a spun bearing. anyone have an other ideas? its gonna be a few weeks until I am able to pull the engine out. hopefully there are parts that are still good that can be reused.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could be what did it sound like when it was runningif it was a rod bearing you should be getting some knock with a main you may not get a knock
Old 06-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea...prolly that kinda metal a bearing went out...most likely rod since it was knocking, just tear it down beafore its screwed and get it re machined, i just got a friend of the family mechanic to re machine my motor for 400 with new rings bearing ect, since all my parts were good, that included a new pump also
put it back together yourself or a good shop for prolly 300 you can install the heads ect and be back up and running like new
Old 06-14-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the parts are salvageable I'll have them fixed then I'll sell them. I'm ready to move on to something different. Im just happy right now that i kept ALL the stock stuff. Ive got my stock LT1 just begging to be put back in.

I also noticed my rockers are rusted. don't know what to make of that. the car has sat for 4 months outside, then I had it running for about 6 weeks and this happens.

Quick Reply: spun bearing?