LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Carbureting the LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbureting the LT1

Yep, I am going to do it. Going to 406 cu in. and carb it, grout the block, and slap a BIG shot to it. Not going to be a street car so no concerns on gas and all that BS. I know Frans96ss has done a motor for this but the things I know I will need is. A carb,intake,distributor, and what else ? I am really looking for some of you guys that have done this or if some could point me to some added info would be great. If anyone has pics of there setup that also would be sweet to see. Thanks gang, Chris
Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

So nobody has any info ?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have done a few Carbed LT1's but they werent in 4th gens. If i remember correctly we just welded the hole shut on the front cover, bought an intake/carb and distrubutor and hooked it all up. There may be a tad more involved on a 4th gen but I am sure nothing major. You probably already know this but the GM conversion intake available isn't really all that good, so a Super Vic(or similar style) convertered to fit the LT1 would be a much better idea.

EDIT: Are you keeping the LT1 platform or going the old school SBC route with plans for a 406 i am guess that you are going SBC. Not really sure, either way hope the info helps.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

would buy a Edelbrock Victor Jr intake and use bosses for direct port for the nitrous. You would of course have to cut away some of the cowl.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

GM sells a timing chain plug that bolts over your LT1 timingchain cover.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
We have done a few Carbed LT1's but they werent in 4th gens. If i remember correctly we just welded the hole shut on the front cover, bought an intake/carb and distrubutor and hooked it all up. There may be a tad more involved on a 4th gen but I am sure nothing major. You probably already know this but the GM conversion intake available isn't really all that good, so a Super Vic(or similar style) convertered to fit the LT1 would be a much better idea.

EDIT: Are you keeping the LT1 platform or going the old school SBC route with plans for a 406 i am guess that you are going SBC. Not really sure, either way hope the info helps.
well me and the the engine builder are brainstorming on this one. He thinks the LT1 block is weak but would be okay( I agree on weakness). So I am right now just brainstorming before I go through with it. Since I have the LT1 bottom end we could grout the block and do what we had to for the conversion. I know the cowl will be cut and that is okay it is no daily driver. I heard the GM intake is a real piece of poop so the super Vic was my first choice. I just need some thoughts from those that have seen this or worked on it so thanks for all the input keep it coming.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

there is nothing "weak" about the lt1. no more than any other 2 bolt 350. just take the block, half fill it with block hardener, and have the caps splayed to 4 bolt.
as for the carb thing....i REALLY like the idea of a carbed lt1. i've seen a couple of them make some very impressive numbers.
as for as ease of doing it, it's a little more invloved then your original post. if you use a standard sbc intake, there are a couple holes in the intake that have to be welded, there was an article in super chevy a while back that explained this saying any sbc intake can be used once these to water holes were welded shut.
i've seen the gmmp intake do well on one car, but it won't be a sufficient supply of air to a 406.
the only disadvantage of the carbed lt1 is timing....it's very hard to get the lt1 timed without the computer....i don't know why, but we've always had trouble with that.

Quick Reply: Carbureting the LT1