LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is a Single Plain Intake Streetable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Bret can you clue me in as to what the hell my engine builder is talking about when it comes to mounting the single plane to my LT4 227cc AFR's.... He says he wants to mod the heads instead of modding the intake to match up cause then more bolts will actually bolt the intake to the heads. Less chance for leaks. Are we having a communication problem or is that true. If you use good gaskets with the single plane Supervic or Vic E have you ever seen a problem with air leaks???? I never had an issue with my LT1 manifold bolted up.... What is the difference between the LT1 style intake to head bolt config and a standard SBC setup?????
You need to tell him to look at the Vortec manifold bolts. They are at a much steeper angle than the LT stuff and they only use the 8 outer bolt holes. I've never had a issue with leaks like that.

The diff between a LT and a SBC (old school) is the bolts are at a different angle and spaced out a little wider. The LT is very similar to the newer style Vortec bolt pattern, but it's not the same.

Bret
Old 06-27-2006, 08:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you drill new holes at the correct angles into the Super Vic and bam i'm good to go?????

And yeah I can't see having a leak problem if I"ve got like 12 bolts clamping the intake to the heads with a gasket in between.....
Old 06-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Banned

You only need 8 bolts to clamp it down.

Yes I do drill the new holes into the intake and spot face them as well.

Bret
Old 06-28-2006, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

bret what would it cost in total if I wanted to keep my 58mm tb and have the elbow, intake, machining and basically everything i need to bolt to a set of trick flows(the lt1 style).
Old 06-28-2006, 05:57 AM
Banned

e-mail me about it.... I'm working on a elbow for the 58mm stuff as well. It's going to be around $1250 most times for a ported setup.

Bret
Old 02-02-2008, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

so what happened to all this talk. any updates?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:05 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Old 02-03-2008, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

okay cool. thanks guys. i see both of you went with the ls style tb.

any particular reason you chose that instead of the stock type tb?

are those victor jrs?

also where did you mount the map sensor?

are you running cowls to het those to fit under the hood?

is the single plane worthwhile on a mainly street driven car with stock port & polished heads and mild cam?

just curious because im saving up for my forged 383 build with a nitrous for the track. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to step up to one of these or if it wasn't worth it. currently i have a ported stocker.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by C_Rules
okay cool. thanks guys. i see both of you went with the ls style tb.

any particular reason you chose that instead of the stock type tb?

are those victor jrs?

also where did you mount the map sensor?

are you running cowls to het those to fit under the hood?

is the single plane worthwhile on a mainly street driven car with stock port & polished heads and mild cam?

just curious because im saving up for my forged 383 build with a nitrous for the track. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to step up to one of these or if it wasn't worth it. currently i have a ported stocker.
I'm using a Big Stuff-3 PCM so I hope not to have the "tip-in" issues that some people have had with the 90mm T/B. I was looking for a T/B that is a little bigger than what's available for the LT-1

The intake is a Victor-E. There has been some discussion about it being the best choice, but since I'm "blowing" air thru it, I feel it will perform just fine.

The MAP sensor will just mount in the engine compartment where it is convenient.

The 90 degree elbow that I have is suppose to clear the vehicle's cowl and fit under the stock hood, but I have a sunoco style hood on order.

As far as when a single plane becomes necessary, well I suppose it is a matter of opinion as well, but in a NA application, you need to be moving a lot of air and/or high rpm's in order for the stock intake to start to be the bottleneck.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man, those set ups are nice!!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Isnt a Vic Jr and conversion only like $400-$500?

And as for tuning it on the stock PCM how well do you think i can tune it?

I will be using

TunerProRT and othe the complementing stuff to burn my own chips.

But....can the stock PCM handle ma Pow3rz?
You are confusing me here. Are you running the 93 ECM still, or upgraded to 94+ PCM? I looked at the differences in tunes from a 93 to 94, and the 94 has SO MANY more tables than the 93. If you were to do this, I'd say upgrade to a 95 and get the vented opti + OBD1 + the reflashable chip. I think you'll also be able to more fine-tune the setup compared to a 93 with the extra tables. Had I bought a 94, I don't think I'd have been able to tune my own chip like I did. I'd have to read a ton more on it. The 93 was very very similar to my 91 TPI, so it made things easier on me. It's also pretty simple as far as table goes, since there's far less.

Anyways, more to the point, I think you're running an A4 too right? It'd probably be better to run a 94+ system too so you can tune the line pressure as well. Unless you run an external box for a 4L60E, the 93's don't have that luxury

While we're on the thread of aftermarket intakes, why don't people who don't plan to rev insanely high, run a dual-plane for some lovely torque numbers? It seems everyone runs a single-plane. I asked this before but never really got an answer.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 PM
hashtagBMW

This thread was almost 2yrs ago, ive learned a lot since then.

And im a 93' STOCK PCM and an overdrive loaded A4
Old 02-05-2008, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinking about going single plane but I really wanted to use the LT1 style tb. Intake elbows doesn't make that kind of elbow anymore. Don't really need to go single plane since I'm not reving that high. I was going to go that route since it looked awesome and wouldn't hurt performance wise. Don't think I'm going to do it though because I'm going to stick with the stock PCM and I don't want any issues with using the LS style TB.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could someone elaborate a little more on the "tip-in" issue.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 AM
hashtagBMW

I used to have an IE.com elbow too, should have kept that since they dont make them anymore.

Ill find some pics.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96redcamaro

Tip in is when you are cruising along at 80 mph and you let off the gas because the bonehead in front of you is going 55 in the fast lane, when he moves over and you step back on the gas that moment is "tip in".

WHen you leave a stoplight, this is "tip in"

You get someone who can tune, you will have have no "tip in" issues.

My car drives amazingly well, I love it. I have AWESOME throttle response with big heads, big cam, big intake.

WHen I got mine from Intakeelbows.com, it had nothing in the "floor" of the elbow for the shortside radius. I mocked up a piece of manilla folder as to what I wanted and sent it back to Aaron and he welded a piece in. It seems to work well. Aaron has AWESOME customer service!

Here is a pic of my intake elbows.com elbow, shame he doesnt make them any longer.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 02-06-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redcamaro
Also Tip In with 90 mm Fab is Jack Rabbit starts from a dead stop, Reason being is that as an example when you give say 1/4 throttle to leave from a stop this would be equivalent to say 1/2 throttle with a 58mm T/B (exaggerated) so the car lurks forward, it is hard to take off in a smooth roll because of the amount of additional air the larger T/B is taken in, Make a little more sense now?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:27 AM
hashtagBMW

Moe,

Your a goood tuner. How hard is it to tune 'tip-in', honestly?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Where would you connect all your Vacuum lines, map sensor, etc. to this type of intake? I'm just trying to figure out how complicated it will be, while still keeping it a street car.

Does anyone build a "turn-key" type of kit that will allow for all the extra stuff? So basically my installer up here won't have to "fab" anything up.

Quick Reply: Is a Single Plain Intake Streetable?