LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ACCEl opti CHEAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stocker isnt fine for my stock motor... but ive gone through 2 GM opti's while i have had my car... now its time to try something new..

you have seen two cap and rotors go bad... i dont think there was alot of testing on these due to the fast release of them.. i kept in touch with MSD when i had my order in, and they had some bugs to work out on them, thats what took so long

im not saying everyone to be sheep, but there are alot of people who havent tried anything, and want to criticize... its like talking **** about a shop and never have been there to get service..

i was going to get a dynaspark and yes they have the years behind them, i got my MSD for 500 bux and the dynaspark still cost 600 bux... so i figured i would go with the name brand who has been doing distributors for awhile now... i figure with all that high tech crap they have around... they can build something worth while...

everybody wants to know how its going to hold up... well thats what im doing... i guess im doing the long haul part of it... even though its on a stock motor.. can you imagine never having to change and opti for more than 100K... or just the cap and rotor even... i beat down on my car everyday... so it gets abused... its not trashed cuz i take care of it... if i still had a track around here.. i would be going every weekend like i use to... so its not a garage queen... it gets its fair share everyday...
so this is my test on the MSD unit.. i have washed the motor several times since then with no problems... only time will tell... i fully understand being skeptical... but someone has to do it before finding out...
Old 07-04-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by harvickgm
the stocker isnt fine for my stock motor... but ive gone through 2 GM opti's while i have had my car... now its time to try something new.....
Why isnt it fine for your motor? Is it special? Why did your last 2 optis fail?

you have seen two cap and rotors go bad... i dont think there was alot of testing on these due to the fast release of them.. ...
You have no clue what Ive seen. They shouldve did more testing with all the time they spent delaying.

i kept in touch with MSD when i had my order in, and they had some bugs to work out on them, thats what took so long...
you have seen two cap and rotors go bad... i dont think there was alot of testing on these due to the fast release of them.. ...
Which is it since you talked to them?

im not saying everyone to be sheep, but there are alot of people who havent tried anything, and want to criticize... its like talking **** about a shop and never have been there to get service.....
Who are these people? if people dont critize then what does the MSD have to live up too? What makes a product or shop shine is how it handles critisism and proves itself.

i was going to get a dynaspark and yes they have the years behind them, i got my MSD for 500 bux and the dynaspark still cost 600 bux......
Dyna has a better warranty in case something should happen, Dyna can also rebuild it in case something happens that is not under warranty, Cant pay enough for piece of mind.
I Too went through the same diffculty of trying to justify paying $100 more for the Dyna-spark over the MSD opti-spark replacement. i chose the Dyna-spark for a couple of reasons#1 readly avaiable, #2 know history of both excellent performance and Hi quality craftmanship. the MSD's ignition coils seem to have a bad wrap with premature failures and i didn't have the confidence that MSD could produce with their 1st production run a HI quality opti-spark replacement i just thought it in my best intrest to pay a extra $100 for the peace of mind that the Dyna-spark's know history gave me.
my.2 worth......

so i figured i would go with the name brand who has been doing distributors for awhile now......
So how long have they making opti's?

i figure with all that high tech crap they have around... they can build something worth while......
Not all thier high tech crap is worth while and not all of it performs well.

everybody wants to know how its going to hold up... well thats what im doing... i guess im doing the long haul part of it... even though its on a stock motor.....
Good luck to ya. I hope it test out well and I hope it can perform and live up to what we hope for. I just choose not to hold my breath.

can you imagine never having to change and opti for more than 100K... or just the cap and rotor even......
No I couldnt. I do believe youre living in La La land no offence my friend.

i beat down on my car everyday... so it gets abused... its not trashed cuz i take care of it... if i still had a track around here.. i would be going every weekend like i use to... so its not a garage queen... it gets its fair share everyday......
That's cool.

so this is my test on the MSD unit.. i have washed the motor several times since then with no problems... only time will tell... i fully understand being skeptical... but someone has to do it before finding out...
I'm glad to hear it can withstand pressure washing, or did you not pressure wash it?
Old 07-04-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

hold you breathe if you will, and most people will for awhile until they see results, but if everyone does that ... then there would be no results...
and dont mix my words up.... you reading to deep... the cap and rotor they released first... they didnt seem to work on that one a whole lot cuz i have seen a couple of people have problems with them...

the new opti they did lots of testing on along with the different cap to fit...

and yes i pressure washed it... no problems.. but in all honesty
arguing about whats better isnt going to prove anything... all im saying is you cant really criticize a product until you have tried it.. i would have gone with dynaspark as well, but then i got the call that my new opti was in... so i ran with it..
im pretty sure the last two of my opti's failed due to the MSD ignition and the moisture here in florida...
Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Nobody is arguing. I'm just trying to understand. There were many many days I thought hard about what setup would work best for me. I thought harder when I sent my opti to dynaspark to be rebuilt. Then I was pissed when i found out how much it was for a rebuild but in the end I still fill like I came out on top and I'm taking less of a risk than others by using a proven product. I live way to far away to take chances when downtime here can be weeks waiting on parts from the states.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

i fully understand... we all know its not proven yet.... but in the same sense... it hasnt been disproved yet either.... we have a new option that we all have been waiting for... its time to see if it works up to specs... your right it may and it may not.... but someone has to try... i live in the states and its my DD, down time is zero for me... so if it fails im screwed too... but i wanted to see if all the hype was true...

a buddy of mine with a turbo 383 LT1... will be changing from his delteq to the new MSD very shortly... due to the fact he says the heat from the turbo is killing the delteq system..... so we should have more reviews from him shortly... i hope....
his car dynoed at 700RWTQ and the fuel pump couldnt keep up... so we hope there is more there... at 4000 rpm's he made 550rwhp.... so we shall see... his car will def put the opti to the test.. that motor went through 5-6 opti's already... so when he gets his in... that willl be a test... i think he is only spinning up to 7K though... i cant remember...
Old 07-04-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PHATKOP
If your running a FAST Unit, the MSD Opti will not go to 10,000 rpm's.
You will have to use a drop in distributor and crank trigger. Don't believe what you hear about the MSD Opti.

later

The point about the fact that the MSD opti can be spun to 10,000 rpms is more of a reliability fact and a balance test. It shows even under extreme conditions how well of a unit it is. I dont think anyone has ever spun an LTX to 10000rpm have they?

IMO if I were going to spend big $$$ on an opti, I'd wait a tad longer to see how the MSD units hold up and I'd prolly go with them. IIRC everything inside one is specfically manufactured for them. I think Dynaspark just uses a stock Optical sensor... Then again an Opti is an opti. Give someone a chance and they'll find a way to make one fail and curse them even more (I've heard of dynasparks failing also)
Old 07-04-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

It does use the stock lens and they do fail. No opti is bullet proof. The same things that have killed the documented dynaspark faliures are the same things that could kill a msd, and any other system still using the opti ie deltech and ltcc.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

there are a couple of things on the MSD i didnt like.
the seal at the top of the cap.. didnt want to seal all the way.... just like a fingernail width...
and also the screw that hold the cap down are phillips heads and tend to strip easily... so i got the same ones except in flat heads and they were easier to tighten...
i went back and locktight on everything...just to make sure nothing came apart...
Old 07-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Staging Lane

MSD sucks. my friend had a msd ignition on his honda and after 1 1/2 years it dies and killed his stock coil. i had an msd ignition on my old car (vw) for 1 3/4 years and it died and killed my coil also. coincidence. no bc i checked the forums and this happened to quite a bit of people. showing that msd products are not quality. just my .02 cents
Old 07-06-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sure right msd makes shitty products I've had zero problems with my msd products. I'm sure if you go out to the super chevy show and 1/2-3/4 of the cars have msd products in them also, I guess those people think msd is shitty also.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADB1RD
MSD sucks. my friend had a msd ignition on his honda and after 1 1/2 years it dies and killed his stock coil. i had an msd ignition on my old car (vw) for 1 3/4 years and it died and killed my coil also. coincidence. no bc i checked the forums and this happened to quite a bit of people. showing that msd products are not quality. just my .02 cents
there would be one porblem, the second would be its a honda