LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Endine died help plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Endine died help plz

i drive a 1995 z28 and i came home today and i left the car idleing so i could put some trans fluid in the trans and i dripped some oil on the manifold right behind the passenger side front infectors 2 seconds later the car died so ok i went arount to turn it on then it made some weird noiseses then died i looked at the AT THE WATER TEMP AND IT WAS AT LIKE HALF WAY so i assumed "overheated" and i tried again turned and did the same thing it shoulders than stalls .ITS NOT STARTING BUT SHUDDERING AND DIEING AND IT JUST GETS REAL HOT so WAS IT THE OIL ON SOME SENSOR EER WHAT.ok so i realized the fans had come loose and were pushing on the front of the engine so i let it cool put the fans on again and still nada wont even shudder now any advice welcome.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

the injectors are sealed so unless there was some frayed wiring (not likely) I don't see the oil shorting anything out. Our cars don't like water on anything electronically especially the opti. The oil drips sound totally unrelated to be honest with you. Confused you said you put the fans back on and it doesn't shutter now? So it's running ok now, won't start/run at all, runs without overheating or shuttering and your just wondering what caused the problems or what?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Teching In

well the fans had fallen off so i put them back on waited for thr engine to cool and now it turns over fine but it wont start at all befor it it would like well it felt like the the car was only fireing in two cylinders and then stall but now it just turns over not even the begining of a start up
Old 07-06-2006, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lockdun1@aol.com
well the fans had fallen off so i put them back on waited for thr engine to cool and now it turns over fine but it wont start at all befor it it would like well it felt like the the car was only fireing in two cylinders and then stall but now it just turns over not even the begining of a start up
Check your coil is putting out spark, unplug from the opti, ground (carefully) to the head and have someone turn it over, should get a good 1/4" spark if the coil is putting out, or you can multitest it, shoebox.com has the ohms it should be reading if it's good, if your using an MSD BlasterCoil it's around 1500ohms I believe for good. If you're getting spark there pull a plug wire like #1 and see if she's firing (again same ground on head). If no spark then it could be a bad opti, I just find it hard to believe it just went kapoot from a few drops of oil. Sounds like ignition from the symptons.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Teching In

well i did that no spark i noticed the engine was turning over way to fast so i think i might have a broken timing chain that would cause the heating up and the no spark on an lt1 right.+ it would cause the kapoot right
Old 07-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Teching In

the thing is that i think that the fan got in the belt and caused extra stress that the 62000 mile timing chain could not handle.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

mine turned over and shuddered when my fuel pump went out. so that may be something to look at. right before started to disassemble the motor for rebuild it just cranked over and over.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:31 AM
Teching In

well that does not explain the heat up and the no spark situation so i realt dont condider that to be the prop but thanks.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lockdun1@aol.com
well i did that no spark i noticed the engine was turning over way to fast so i think i might have a broken timing chain that would cause the heating up and the no spark on an lt1 right.+ it would cause the kapoot right
high mileage motors can turn over fast, maybe not this fast hard to tell over a forum like this. If the timing chain broke then indeed your not getting spark and cooling is kapoot too because the cam timing dowel pin drives the optispark. Sounds like you have some work to do my friend. So when you tearing into it? Go with an electric waterpump while you're at it, have a plug welded on the timing cover while it's off for the wp gear.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Teching In

turned out to be bad msd ignition box