LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1993 Firebird w/ a Major problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1993 Firebird w/ a Major problem

As i was driving home from work today i hit WOT from a stop in my automatic 93 lt1 car. it it launched fine and normal but right as its about to shift to second the car starts bounching off rev limiter. it did this 2x in a row and then the next time it made a grinding noise from the middle to rear of the car and i let out of it. The fluid appears fine.. and everythng as far as i can tell under the car seems normal... Any ideas on what it is...Im leaning towards tranny or converter....But i need to get some other opinions
Old 07-13-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

first check your kickdown cable and make sure its adjusted right... did you check the tranny fluid??? when you check it the car has to be ideling in park or neutral and it has to be at full oper temp.... what color was the tranny fluid and what did it smell like.. did it smell burnt?? the 93's have a 4L60/700R4 transmission.... the 94+ had the 4L60E.... let us know... im sure we can help you find the problem... but i would check the TV cable first and see if its adjusted right...
Old 07-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Sound like somethings wrong with the tranny could`t this have something to do with the torque conveter? Don`t know maybe the uv joint I think is wahat it is called where the driveshaft connests to the rear end.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Launching!

sounds like the 1st to second servos are hanging up when was the last time you changed the trans filter it may be clogged up try that its a lot cheaper than a new trans and sorry the universal joint doesn`t have any thing to do with the shifting of the trans
Old 07-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Teching In

yeah tranny fluid didnt smeel really burnt the levels were fine...its been awhile since it was changed so ill probably go ahead and do that tonight and see if it helps.. does anyone know how much fluid it takes??? and what a good additive is to put in just in case to help against slippage
Old 07-14-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

how many miles are on the tranny... sometimes with high milage changing the filter and fluid will actually make it worse in a short amount of time... but there are some that last... just dropping the pan and changing the filter... about 4.5 to 5 quarts... lucas oil makes a great additive for the tranny...
did you check the cable like i told you to????
Old 07-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Teching In

no not yet im at work right now ill check it when i get home...the tranny has about 130k so....ill check the cable do te fluid tonight and hopefully this will solve it for now...Thanks for your help
Old 07-14-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Please just use regular Dextron III trans fluid. Stay away from the synthetic trans fluid. As someone already mentioned, doing transmission fluid change may actually hurt your trans even more as those little particles floating around inside maybe keeping what is left of your transmission together. Might be time for a transmission rebuild. If so... talk to Chuck at Finish Line Transmissions.

Finish Line Transmissions