LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 balncer bolt, what purpose does it really serve?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 balncer bolt, what purpose does it really serve?

The LT1 engines hub/balancer bolt is a mystery to me. What purpose does it really serve. The hub is pressed on, and pressed very well. Is this bolt just added insurance?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

well the belt and high RPM's does put alot of pressure on it.. .so yea, insurance... i got an idea.. take it out and let us know if anything happens.... lol....
Old 07-13-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

you need it trust me, I had one strip out, so I thought what the hell, jumped right off the car.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:49 AM
Launching!

You have figure power and wheight that it gets when the engine turns. It like all the mass of the parts gets pushed to the outer edges.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

I have heard where people went to rebuild there engine or change cams, and the bolts have been loose. Its just with the way our hubs are pressed on, its hard to believe one has come off, as no one seems to ever recall one. The balancer has come apart, but never a hub coming off.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Steve40th
I have heard where people went to rebuild there engine or change cams, and the bolts have been loose. Its just with the way our hubs are pressed on, its hard to believe one has come off, as no one seems to ever recall one. The balancer has come apart, but never a hub coming off.

incase I wasn't clear, Mine jumped right off the car, took a few things with it when it came off.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whynot
incase I wasn't clear, Mine jumped right off the car, took a few things with it when it came off.
Did you strip it?, the Bolt? Also, did your HUB come off and go buck wild and hit all kinds of things ? I can only imagine a thing of that size unloading within an engine compartment.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by harvickgm
well the belt and high RPM's does put alot of pressure on it.. .so yea, insurance... i got an idea.. take it out and let us know if anything happens.... lol....

Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you strip it?, the Bolt? Also, did your HUB come off and go buck wild and hit all kinds of things ? I can only imagine a thing of that size unloading within an engine compartment.

well, I bought a spare engine, threw it in to get me by, but whoevere had it before striped out the crank, so since I was in a hurry to get to the track, I thought it went on hard enough, well I didn't get to run at the track, just a few min to late, and they started compitition without me, so on the way home I got on it and bang thud thump thump drag.

well it took out the fans, dented the **** out of my oil pan, and a few others spots under the car. oh well, lesson learned.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whynot
well, I bought a spare engine, threw it in to get me by, but whoevere had it before striped out the crank, so since I was in a hurry to get to the track, I thought it went on hard enough, well I didn't get to run at the track, just a few min to late, and they started compitition without me, so on the way home I got on it and bang thud thump thump drag.

well it took out the fans, dented the **** out of my oil pan, and a few others spots under the car. oh well, lesson learned.
Ouch. SO you knew it wasnt in there, and the hub came off? Sounds like the hub wasnt put on right, also, since he snapped the bolt, it probably wasnt all the way on. Not that this makes it right or wrong. Just an observation.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I should post up pix of when the hub/balancer comes off...just fixed a guy's car that this happened to, it was nasty. But he took the opportunity to upgrade a few things but I would not recommend this route, use the bolt and make sure it is tight.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
I should post up pix of when the hub/balancer comes off...just fixed a guy's car that this happened to, it was nasty. But he took the opportunity to upgrade a few things but I would not recommend this route, use the bolt and make sure it is tight.
Hopefully the crankshaft didn't get bent.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ouch. SO you knew it wasnt in there, and the hub came off? Sounds like the hub wasnt put on right, also, since he snapped the bolt, it probably wasnt all the way on. Not that this makes it right or wrong. Just an observation.
yea, I knew it was stripped out, because when I got it, there was no hub on it. since it was stripped out, we had to air hammer it on, but it was put on all the way, just not held there.