LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What motor in my 96 Impala SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the information guys but i blew a piston. I guess i did not make it clear taht i needed a new shortblock becuase i hurt the motor. I only need that. I will transfere the heads and all accessories to the new shortblock and reinstall it. Hope this helps everyone answer the question for me. thanks
Old 07-15-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well my opinion....take in the advice 96capricemgr just gave you seeing how he owns a caprice and is familiar with the B-bodys it seems....lol not that itwasnt obvious or anything
Old 07-16-2006, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

buffman is a good source of b-body info as well.
Many of the f-body guys just get too caught up in pretending they got something better than the b-body did to be bothered with facts. The Impala and 9C1(cop car option code)guys on the b-body boards can get like this too when comparing the civilian Caprice. They don't like it when you start posting things like how their back brakes while disc are inferior to the civilian drums, because GM used the drum proportioning valve meaning the rear discs don't function properly unless it is a panic stop. The newbies like to think it got some special motor or at least different tuning but all the LT1 b-bodies got the same 87 octane fuel and spark tuning, there were some speedo programming differences and little crap like that but nothing that made power.

People need to remeber ALL the automakers slap a little differnt trim on cars call them something else as marketting gimmicks. Hell GM has sold Asian and European(some of the Saturns and the Catera are Opels) cars under it's names and Mazda sells a few ford small suvs and trucks under it's names, then there is the wholeMitsubishi/Mopar thing. With that little distinction between brands how many differnt parts do you think they use within a brand?

The 94-96 b-body(LT1 optional years) consisted of the Caprice, Impala, Roadmaster, Caprice and Roadmaster wagons and then there was the d-body the Fleetwood which is a stretch wheelbase b-body, the sedan chassis dates back to '78 I recently bought caliper seals and they were used in applications back to '68. The earlier 90s Olds Custom Cruiser never got an LT1 but other than engine tranny is the same as the LT1 cars. Some of the suspension dates to '72.

You are probably thinking what does all this have to do with anything???? The point is if you look around there is FAR less variety out there than you think and getting hungup on trying to find differences between such similar cars is a waste of time and counterproductive. In a boneyard b-body parts will likely be the same as f-body but cheaper, unless of course the car has "WX3" on the SPID which is the option code that made a Caprice an Impala, then they think the parts are made of gold.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Teching In

So basically any LT1 from 94-96 would work in my impala? If so i think i can get one pretty cheap in a bone yard. please let me know. also sending you 96capricemgr a PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Also the impys got vented optis I believe before the vette even got it for whatever reason. Also the vette has a different accessory setup also. I think I only have 1 sensor but I'm not sure.
Hey i want to know if a 96 covetter motor will fit my 95 impala ss??
Old 05-25-2017, 10:21 PM

96 corvette motor fit my 95 impala ss???
Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Your corvette motor is too big.........

Take my word for it......or read the thread.

KW
Old 05-26-2017, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

On the bolt mains thing, IMO that was done to make the Vette owns feel they got something special, REALITY is the 2 bolt mains in the LT1 are stout and will pretty reliably handle double stock output. .

Yup, 648 RWHP / 712 Tq on a 2 bolt...
Old 05-27-2017, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

11 year old thread, guys.....
Old 05-28-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Side note, the 96 was the first year for OBD2 and the front cover is different to accommodate reluctor wheel attachment, I have a rebuilt 95 Buick Roadmaster motor for sale, bored .030, Powered metal rods SpeedPro Pistons 1.6 roller rockers Howards cam all new sensors ported and polished stock iron heads with Crane valve springs and much more. PM if interested.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:33 AM

Default 4 bolt vs 2 bolt

The B-body cars all got 2 bolt mains. The B-body heads are cast iron and produce a 10.0 to 1 compression ratio, while the aluminum F-body heads produce a 10.4 to 1 or 10.5 to 1 (depending on model) ratio and require higher octane fuel to run properly. The cast iron heads make more torque for the bigger cars, while the aluminum heads make more HP for the lighter cars.

Don't think that the B-bodies are slow with that low 260hp number. My last 9C1 would run 151mph bone stock except for a homemade intake and Borla exhaust. I can't imagine what those F-Body cars would do with just a little love and that 6 speed. I'd love to have one but I'm too tall to drive one...
Old 07-04-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Donaldsharpeusaf
. I can't imagine what those F-Body cars would do with just a little love and that 6 speed. I'd love to have one but I'm too tall to drive one...
well if you need more "room" than a F-body....The B-body can also be modified for more HP just like a F or Y body LT1 car and with a 6 speed :-)
Attached Thumbnails What motor in my 96 Impala SS-clutch-inst-20-console-2.jpg  
Old 07-06-2017, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Donaldsharpeusaf
......The cast iron heads make more torque for the bigger cars, while the aluminum heads make more HP for the lighter cars......
I just love how people just make **** up when they troll on the interwebs......

KW

Quick Reply: What motor in my 96 Impala SS