LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is the proper intake manifold leak cure or method??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the proper intake manifold leak cure or method??

early Gen1 motors have rubber gasket that sits in the valley of the block between both heads, can't we use those instead of just gasket maker on our LT1s?

the rear on mine is leaking oil again.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the fix is simply to redo it. No one uses the Vally gaskets because they simply don't work well. RTV is really teh best thing to use.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure when your setting it that it goes strait down. if you slide it back and forth you will push out the form a gasket.
let it sit over night if you can till you start it. give it that extra time to set up.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Check with a GM dealer, they have a relatively new sealant, I thinks its gray. We used it on mine when it leaked last year...No more leaks...

--Alan
Old 07-27-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it leaks oil right cuz thats what I see on my firewall? And i just put new valve cover gaskets on it.

Comes at the worst time too im trying to test my latest install and my rebuilt T56.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only you can tell if and where your leaking oil from. Thats something that I would confirm before blaming and/or replacing the intake gasket.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Use Ultra Copper or that $12.00 stuff from Permatex in the can called "THE RIGHT STUFF"

No matter what sealant you use, always make sure the manifold goes on straight down, and you let it sit for 24 hrs. I always put blue loctite on my intake bolts so they dont back out as easily too.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
only you can tell if and where your leaking oil from. Thats something that I would confirm before blaming and/or replacing the intake gasket.
HBH guy, I've sat under the car with a flashlight while engine running to try and watch it drip from the back of the intake and it wont!!! I've watched my welded shut EGR and AIR original pieces and they won't leak from their seems either, I replaced the valve cover gaskets recently and this last leak was the biggest as it was the one that shot oil onto the firewall rather than me seeing drops at the bottom of the tranny.

I've chased the drip lines to the back of the tranny top but once I get to the block u just can't see them or find a damp enuff spot to say yep it's the intake manifold. A buddy of mine told me it could only be it or the valve cover gaskets.

Outside of having to buy a mirror to place back there, let me know if you got any other tips, I do wish I could say "i gotcha u little bastard in mid drip" but I agree I can't confirm it. I've passed my hand back there dozens of times with nothing showing up but gunk black residue and some dampness. The oil does collect at the back bottom of each head, that I know for sure is my new oil.

Quick Reply: What is the proper intake manifold leak cure or method??