LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Adjusting rockers-valves??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjusting rockers-valves??

Ive been having a little valvetrain noise and decided its time to fix it. It is not really any valve tapping to say just noisey. I think i have a couple lose rockers. how would i go about fixing this. can i just tighten down the rocker a little more or do i have to adjust the valves. If so what are the best ways to adjust the valves why idles and what tools would i need . I have read on shoebox but would like more help if possible never done this before so im a little ???. THX for any advice
Old 07-28-2006, 02:04 AM
11 Second Club

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html

excellent website with about 3 different methods. When I had hyd lifters I used the remote bump starter method, set my zero lash and 1/4 preload with the crappy CompR lifters. On the solid lifters I use the TDC (power stroker) method setting half, bump her around again to TDC exhaust stroke (I think) then set the other half, it's dead on with the solids.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so when doing this what tool do i need can i just use a socket wrench and turn the motor over using the crank pulley nut. If so what way does it turn clockwise or counter. If not how do i lol i have never done this before so im lost I have enough mechanical exp to do it but just dont know how lol.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a 5/8" socket to adjust the rockers. The motor turns clockwise, but it would be very hard to turn when the spark plags are on. You can remove the coil connector and have it cranked by the starter instead.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:11 AM
Staging Lane

i did mine while the car was running and got it damn close, with 3/4 of a full turn once the noise stopped
Old 07-28-2006, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95FbFormula
Ok so when doing this what tool do i need can i just use a socket wrench and turn the motor over using the crank pulley nut. If so what way does it turn clockwise or counter. If not how do i lol i have never done this before so im lost I have enough mechanical exp to do it but just dont know how lol.
I would recommend using the bump starter from AutoZone for about 8 bucks, hooks to the ignition wire (small wire) on your starter and too the hot side of your battery. This allows you to precisely control where TDC is. As for which tools think it's a 1/4" allen & 5/8" wrench for most aftermarket rockers, his step-by-step on shoebox.com walks you through each step. I'd get someone to help you do it, your going to struggle having not done it before and trying to do it off these posts.

Quick Reply: Adjusting rockers-valves??