LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

performance button

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default performance button

ok obviously the t/a's have a performance shift button, that can be activated to use different shift tables in the pcm ... now can this somehow be installed into a camaro? i am kind of curious ... i would love to have different shift tables so i dont have to retune everytime i go out to the track! i want to run a light tune on the street to conserve some gas ... shift earlier to get me into od faster. i have a lead foot so this would be the best bet for me lol.

also i have heard that the z28 uses the performance table and not the normal table ... anybody know for sure? thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

my 95 formula has the perform and TCS buttons the perform really doesnt do much just a minor difference little firmer shift and little higher rpm shift point thats about it. I think f-bodys after 95 all came with the perform already tuned into the pcm but im not sure. I use mine all the time but i have a trans go kit so dont really notice the perform difference.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

It's really not worth it to add it, just get it tuned right or put in a shift kit and it'll be a world of difference.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok well ...
a.) i have the trans go stage 2 shift kit, and a nice a 3200 stall for that matter.
b.) i know the difference and what they do.

i was asking if you can trip the pcm into normal/performance mode by wiring a button similar to the t/a's. obviously i can tune it myself, just want to be able to hit a button and switch between the 2 shift tables. if you didnt know there are 4 shift tables found in the 94-95 pcm ... normal, performance, manual, and cruise mode ... the t/a's have the option to go into performance mode which was just tells the pcm to use the the performance shift tables and raises to a higher rpm shift to increase performance basically. i want to be able to run 1 tune, and not have to go back and forth. the mt et 325/50/15 tires throw off the speedo, and becuase of this my shifts are off compared to my dd street radials. this would be easier then swapping tunes ... since i dont have my laptop anymore :O
Old 07-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

sounds to me like you already know more than most of us about the matter but if there is a way to do it with a pontiac then why not the camaro, just a matter of probabally getting a wireing diagram and figureing out what exactly that button does when you push it, or maybe a PCM from a firebird would already have the set up for it just hook up the button and change the normal driveing table to ur DD set up, and the performance to your race set.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cammd95Z
sounds to me like you already know more than most of us about the matter but if there is a way to do it with a pontiac then why not the camaro, just a matter of probabally getting a wireing diagram and figureing out what exactly that button does when you push it, or maybe a PCM from a firebird would already have the set up for it just hook up the button and change the normal driveing table to ur DD set up, and the performance to your race set.
you hit it on the head ... i know what im looking for! but hoping someone else has done this or knows more about the firebird setup. it would just be easier then going all out on research ... i am lazy
Old 07-29-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

its expensive and im not sure if it will work with your car or not... but i know that pcmforless offere a switchable tune.. at the flip of a switch you can go from normal driving to you nitrous tune or whatever... but i think it only works with 93 and pre... bt i will check... but i would just go ahead and tune for it... being that under light throttle it still shouldnt shift as hard... its a WOT change..
Old 07-29-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

ok, never mind.. it only works up to the 93's..... i say just go ahead and tune for it...
Old 07-29-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Can only do flip tunes on chip cars Theres a thread on z28.com on how to do it.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

yea... i can do it to mine... but i wasnt sure if you could do it to others as well... but i found that out... it would be kinda sweet if they could make something like that for the 94+ cars.. it might sell pretty well... gas milage then flip.... performance....
Old 07-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Launching!

my 96 has the tc button and i was told by the tuner on my car that they never had any effect on the96 performance because the computor system changed in 96 and it reads off the throttle and makes the change for shift points there
Old 07-29-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redhot lt-1
my 96 has the tc button and i was told by the tuner on my car that they never had any effect on the96 performance because the computor system changed in 96 and it reads off the throttle and makes the change for shift points there
well thats in the 94 and up as well... but the tune will increase line pressures even more for a faster harder shift... and so to say it actually improves the life of the tranny by not slipping the clutches as much.. they slam and dont slip... so some people say.... but i still think its the same...
Old 07-29-2006, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

in my 94 it increased the shift firmness and shift rpm. it was pretty cool, with 4.10 gears and stock trans/converter it would chirp second every time with it on.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh wells ill just get a new laptop :p i have heard of people doing it ... so the pcm can be tripped into that mode. i will have to research the diagrams of it all and post back what i find!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

The z28's are always in "performance mode" They don't need a button. All that button does is bump your tranny line pressure and such. Doesn't affect mileage or anything...
Old 07-29-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jdhommert
The z28's are always in "performance mode" They don't need a button. All that button does is bump your tranny line pressure and such. Doesn't affect mileage or anything...

wrong it goes to a different shift table, and does not bump tranny pressure. i know what it does, and there is a way to trip it back and forth. how that is done i am looking into it now.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

this is how it is done! dont know how i missed it on shoebox's site. it can be used in the camaro, and i will be doing this as soon as i get a free chance to get to radio shack.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:52 AM
TECH Addict

I still dont understand the point though I do think it's kinda cool. Looking at the Performance Up/Down shift point table from what I see all youre doing is changing the shift point as per mph vs %tps. No line pressure changes.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

honestly it would be cooler to change more then shift tables, but! there is no real point besides changing between a more conservative shift table to a more aggressive one. figure if i short shift through the table more, even at higher tps it will get me into od faster, and save gas overall. i realize i could just adjust half and half, but i have a lead foot ... and this would just be a better situation for me. no real point besides a look at what i can do :p it could also come in handy if this ever becomes a bracket car ... instead of letting off or braking, i could test & tune with different shift points, short shift a little bit to get myself a higher e/t and not break out. would be 1 less thing to think about during the race, and concentrate more on the tree, to eventually get the win.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Yeah, I have done this on the wife's 94. It holds each shift a little longer. She likes it because it revs a little higher before the shift and sounds "meaner".

Quick Reply: performance button