LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

delteq swap has anyone done it

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006 | 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default delteq swap has anyone done it

is it more reliable than the pos optispark. Are there any hp gains. Or is it crap like the optispark.
Old 07-29-2006 | 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Run a quick search. Theres a couple of guys here that have it. It doesnt delete the opti though. From what Ive seen, I think I'll stick with my dynaspark. Dont forget, LTCC is a option as well.
Old 07-29-2006 | 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Went with the delteq set up and didnt notice the radical differences people before me had stated. did gain .2 in the 1/4 with the same 60' so maybe its helping on the top end. Main thing about reliability is it gets rid of the cap and rotor. Multiple coils are a good idea but dont know how they will hold up yet...only have 2-3 months on them.
Old 07-29-2006 | 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently working on some tweaks to the stock Optispark that should (I hope), make the Delteq system even more reliable. Looks a little bit like this:

Here it is mocked up on the engine:

Notice where the water pump weep hole is in relation to the top of the Optispark. If this pump ever decides to leak, the water will have to flow at a pretty steep angle to make it to the top of the Opti. It might still even be a concern if it's able to break through the nice fat bead of RTV that I'm sealing the CNC machined cover to the base with, or the white lithium grease being applied to the rear bearing and underneath the inner spindle. Oh yeah, it'll be rotorless as well.

IMHO, a rotorless, waterproof Opti that has no voltage running through it is as close to a bulletproof Opti as you could ever get. Wouldn't have been able to do it without the Delteq. Food for thought.
Old 07-29-2006 | 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
I'm currently working on some tweaks to the stock Optispark that should (I hope), make the Delteq system even more reliable. Looks a little bit like this:

Here it is mocked up on the engine:

Notice where the water pump weep hole is in relation to the top of the Optispark. If this pump ever decides to leak, the water will have to flow at a pretty steep angle to make it to the top of the Opti. It might still even be a concern if it's able to break through the nice fat bead of RTV that I'm sealing the CNC machined cover to the base with, or the white lithium grease being applied to the rear bearing and underneath the inner spindle. Oh yeah, it'll be rotorless as well.

IMHO, a rotorless, waterproof Opti that has no voltage running through it is as close to a bulletproof Opti as you could ever get. Wouldn't have been able to do it without the Delteq. Food for thought.
That's really nice!
Old 07-29-2006 | 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by drpz28
is it more reliable than the pos optispark. Are there any hp gains. Or is it crap like the optispark.
I bought mine for reliability reasons. No power to be had I am sure. Over 1 year on mine so far with no issues.
Old 07-29-2006 | 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am morally and logically opposed to buying an aftermarket system, that is nothing more then a normal opti with minor changes. After all the smoke and mirrors, it's just basically just an opti. If I am going to do something different, I am going to be running more then one coil, and will not have any form of high energy running through the distributor.

It's pretty simple and logical to me. No matter if it's summit, MSD, Acell, Dynaspark etc, it's still an opti. Sure it might be better in some way, but other then longevity your still faced with all the normal issues associated with it. Your still running one coil, your still having a mechanical distribution of spark, and your still having high energy routed through a sophisticated electronic par. Delteq and LTCC solves this.

After you switch out and no longer have high energy running wild through the opti, unless you drown it there is a VERY strong possibility that it will never fail again. You also have multiple coils instead of one which IS a better system no matter if people tell you it's needed or not. More recharge time, more voltage output, dwell no longer an issue, etc etc. You no longer have any form of gap between the coils tower to the spark plug. You no longer have to worry about 1 single coil wire feeding all 8 cylinders. You have the choice of adding things like an MSD DIS ign system along with better coils to the delteq for an incredible amount of spark output.

No, it's not going to gain you a ton of HP. What it will do is give you more flexibility in controling the system. It also will more or less negate any further opti failure, and judging by the fact that I have seen Acell and dynasparks fail, thats a good thing.

Quick Reply: delteq swap has anyone done it