LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Will this pass emissions?

Old 07-30-2006, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this pass emissions?

I have a 95 Z, still w/ all the 02's and a high flow cat. however, when putting on my headers, for some reason ppl seem to think they send me ones for a different year or something. they fit perfect only issue is that the AIR fittings didnt match up. So as of right now, the port where it plugs into the headers are closed up, but the rubber hose that the little thing hooks to from the headers is still there, basically sucking in the engine compartment air through and un filtered hole.

will this pass emissions in Illinois??
Old 07-30-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Uhg u need to be a little more descritpive.... If the EGR pipes that r coming from off the headers arent connected like stock it wont pass visual or the sniffer. Also if u dont have a Carb E.O. # they arent legal. Thats the way they are in Cali.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

i know Cali is alot more strict about emissions than most places.

the whole for the header is pluged and the black hoses are just sucking in engine air.

unless there is something in that weird metal peice that looks like some sorta bowl lol, then id think it would pass.

i think here they just do the sniffer, and i have the cat, so i dont see what the difference is between sucking it exhaust into the tube...or hot engine air except the thing will read alot cleaner. the EGR is still hooked up. just the AIR connections that come out of the headers.....
Old 07-30-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

If you lean the motor out alot will that help with emmisions test?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Launching!

they have stuff you ad 2 ur gas (saw it at autozone) that says it will lower emmisions and pass emmisions tests but i dont know how well it works.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chris18927
they have stuff you ad 2 ur gas (saw it at autozone) that says it will lower emmisions and pass emmisions tests but i dont know how well it works.
Sounds like a gimmick.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 AM
Teching In

It depends on what you zip code is. Only certain parts of Illinois are required to pass emissions. Here is a website, it is the cyberdrive page from the Secretary of State so it is correct, that will tell you if you have to be tested.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de....html#zipcodes
Old 07-31-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
If you lean the motor out alot will that help with emmisions test?

thats what the RX-7 rotary guys do, that engine burns oil like a 2 stroke.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Check this out:

Originally Posted by Jon A
Sure. First I need to correct my typo above. I meant to say LC-1 but typed LM-1.

Basically these allow you to replace your stock narrow band O2s with the widebands. They will output an analog "narrow band simulation" to the PCM. But the output is programmable. This is the factory default of the first analog output:

450 MV = 14.7 AFR, a very narrow step-like function close to what narrow bands output, your PCM shouldn't know the difference between this and the stock O2. It should run the same. But you can put any numbers you want in there. Simply subtract .7 from both AFR boundaries like so:

Now 450 MV = 14.0 AFR. Your computer won't know the difference, but you'll be running richer in closed loop because your computer will force it to run averaging 450 MV, and it will correct to that constantly.

They have their Manual online. They also have a message board with some good info--HERE is a thread that talks about doing it the other way for better mileage.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Launching!

In had a hollowed cat in a 95 ta, otherwise mostly stock, but it passed with no problem. They do a visual inspection, but depends how close they look. If you have a working cat and car is running rich, then you should be fine.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

pretty sure they dont do a visual, and even if they do, i doubt they would notice lol. seems to run fine the only difference i can think of is the air getting sucked down the tubes is not air thats coming from the motor.... so if there is a sensor somewhere in the tubes thats connected to something, its still reading air...just considerably cleaner air that it should be reading lol...
Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Where are you located in Ill? I've heard of some places towards chicago doing visuals for cats & oil leaks.

Now the hoses your speaking of sounds like the hoses to your A.I.R they don't suck they pump, without them hooked up all it's doing is when the air pump is soposed to come on it pumps out air, Now you may have a check engine light because of that but other then that it's not hurting anything, as well as if the car is hot it won't effect your emissions.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Launching!

They should do a visual to see if there is a cat... some have air pumps, egr, etc... I think if they pass the sniffer, that stuff shouldn;t matter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will this pass emissions?