LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

throttle body question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the merv,

gotcha Just wanted to make sure you didnt take the thing off like i've seen a couple people do because they miss understood the throttle body bypass.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

No, hell no..lol I have seen a motor blow up cause them lines were plugged off. That is a big no no..
Old 08-03-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the_merv
No, hell no..lol I have seen a motor blow up cause them lines were plugged off. That is a big no no..
yeah believe it or not the two motors I saw with the line completely disabled were fresh 383s!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Well they will be freshly re-built 383's...
Old 08-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

you should not take off the pcv (positive crankcase valve) for any reason. that is there so when the gases from the oil in the valvetrain build up they get sucked out by the vacuum from your motor hence its hooked up to the throttle body. If the pcv is taken off the gases will build up and they will cause the valvetrain and head to become increasingly dirtier and build up of burnt oil faster. The only reason to take off the pcv is for a turbo car because car does not run on vacuum all the time anymore. If you do not like the oil that gets in the intake then run a catch can with a filter on it between the pcv and the throttle body. Problem solved
Old 08-05-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is turning into one of those (Do I descreen my maf or not discussions), lol
Old 08-05-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BADB1RD
If the pcv is taken off the gases will build up and they will cause the valvetrain and head to become increasingly dirtier and build up of burnt oil faster.
Isn't this particular problem a non-issue when using a quality oil such as Mobil 1?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Isn't this particular problem a non-issue when using a quality oil such as Mobil 1?
Not at all. There is still going to be water vapor and gasses present no matter what oil you use. Without the PCV system working correctly it will not recover these and will lead to problems.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
Not at all. There is still going to be water vapor and gasses present no matter what oil you use. Without the PCV system working correctly it will not recover these and will lead to problems.
See I'm not really getting all this. In the original post, and like I have done and several have done, there's a breather in the valve cover. While the engine is no longer "pulling" the gasses out through the hose, can't these gasses and water vapor escape through the breather? An engine at operating temp is going to quickly evaporate the condensation for sure. I have no idea about the gasses but contend that they can escape through this breather. And with synthetic oils, they're not gonna sludge to make the head and valvetrain "dirty." Besides, it seems that gasses and vapors would be better off escaping out of the engine rather than be put back through the TB for the engine to ingest again.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run a crank evac kit and has been working fine. If the little throttle body PCV is considered Positive crankcase ventiliation, then my crank evac kit must be turbo PCV.

I blocked both the PCV and throttle body inlet once I went over to Crank evac.

The only problem I've had so far and that is recent is that I made my exhaust quieter and therefore more back pressure this in turn seems to be allowing exhuast pressure to come back up and through the breather which it IS NOT supposed to do becuz of the one way valves, now my system is like 3 years old. So I have to conclude my one way valves are worn. And seeing as to how they come right off and are replaceable...it's highly likely.

Will I continue to use this is the question, I dont have time to be fukn about with valves down under by the y pipe so I am considering adding breathers up top. And end of story.

This is not vacuum this is blow-by and needs to be purged or allowed to escape in order to not build up. I have my breathers off completely right now becuz I dont want the pressure to build up.

Yes it is better to not reburn these gases, your obviously not playing your role towards the environment, but hey neither is fukn Dick cheney.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

The PVC system is an emissions control. The gasses that it emmits into the intake raise intake charge temps and mess with the oxygen level in the intake. I would leave the valves in and run the lines outside somewhere. This way the hot temps leave the engine bay. People have been putting breathers on the valve covers for years. There is nothing wrong with it and it keeps your TB clean as a whistle.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Yes it is better to not reburn these gases, your obviously not playing your role towards the environment, but hey neither is fukn Dick cheney.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

Agreed.
You should have no problems IF you plug all your vacuum lines properly.
I will be eliminating the pcv system tonight.

Quick Reply: throttle body question