LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why aren't there any aftermarket LT1 Blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Zigroid, I'm afraid you are mistaken about how hard it is to make over 500 rwhp through an A4, with a factory cylinder head and intake LTX. There are more than a couple of them I know about. Just because the guys don't post here, doesn't mean they aren't "out there". They are. No $3000.00 heads, either. Last pull on mine was 522, another customer with a "mail order tune" made 521. Both have non-lock up 4400 converters and 4l60Es. Mine has LT4 heads & intake, his has LT1s. None costs as much as you indicated. A couple others right at 510 rwhp.
How many of those were hydraulic roller motors?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:24 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
How many of those were hydraulic roller motors?
None. Adjusting valves is no big deal. I have had several solid roller street cars. Not a big money deal either. I check my valve lash every five or six races. Nothing ever moves.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

What's the highest HR N/A pump gas setup youve seen? I think Ive heard of 1 or 2 in the 470 range but it seems like people who get to that point drop the HR setup and start getting deep.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:55 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
What's the highest HR N/A pump gas setup youve seen? I think Ive heard of 1 or 2 in the 470 range but it seems like people who get to that point drop the HR setup and start getting deep.

I was 486 rwhp with a hydraulic, drove it to Nobile, near OKC to run it (right at 120 miles each way). Ran me off after one pass because I had no roll cage in it yet. Hoped they would not notice for a few passes. Couple of weeks later a rocker stud broke (should have use ARP, instead of GM) and a lifter came out, turned 90 deg, and ate the cam. Went solid rollers after that. If you do it correctly, valve lash stays put very well. No more RPM than the factory PCM will allow, you should never hurt one of these things. Loose a bearing with a stock PCM, you really screwed up someplace building it.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:14 AM
9 Second Club

it used to be LS1s were too expensive to make good power. now its the other way around. if you want an LT1 to make 500 rwhp you're going to have to spend $3000 on heads and another $1500 converting a single plane over.
Well you started off saying that a 383 LT1 has trouble getting to 425RWHP and now you're talking about 500RWHP... Big difference.... A 383 LT1 has ZERO trouble getting to 425RWHP if the combo is right.... pick the right cam, the right heads, all matched to each other.... my 355 had shitty heads that cost 1500 bucks, a fair size hyd roller, a port matched LT1 intake, SRP pistons, eagle 6" rods, stock crank... all else was typical bolt on stuff. Had it tuned in like 10-15 minutes but it was FAR from optimized. 422RWHP on it's first dyno pull.... I guarantee some more tuning and optimizing of fuel and timing curves would have made closer to 440ish.... easily if I used race gas and put like 5 more degrees of timing in it....

Now 500RWHP you are correct it's going to cost you more.... But don't think for a second that those LS1 guys are running 1500 dollar heads and making 500RWHP..... guaranteed those heads are running them 3g's easy.... if not cores then the work into them will make it to 3g's.... Intake swaps yeah you're going to have 1500 in an intake.... but I think a single plane victor will outflow a FAST 90/90 anyday setup right... I don't think anyone's arguing that the LS1 is a superior motor stock for stock... But a properly setup LT1 will even the playing field when money becomes involved...

I don't keep any secrets about how much money will be involved in my setup.... most likely close to 15K in the motor.... It's an easy number to get to when the rotating assy is just shy of 5K, heads are 3K, valvetrain easily approaches 2000 to include cam/lifters/pushrods/shaft rockers. The intake will go about a grand completely done (direct port NOT included)... then you have misc stuff like 4 bolt splayed mains, good rings/bearings/gaskets..... Fabricated valve covers, balancer, dist, crank trigger...... we're almost at 13K now and we haven't even discussed labor, machine work, or how to CONTROL the engine (XFI,DFI,BS3)..... but these are not just LT1 specific issues.... Ask WormBoy how much he has in his LS1 and I guarantee you my number will PALE in comparison.... when you play, you WILL pay.... and the harder you want to play IE Sub 8.0, sub 9.0, Sub 10.0, etc will dictate how hard your wallet gets hit.... regardless of motor, make, model, FWD,RWD, 4 doors or two....
Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can make anything fast.
and if you know the right people, and have the right info, you can make it fast, cheaper then the other guy.

that applies everywhere in this thread. from the "LT1 vs LT1" argument above, to the "LT1 vs LS1" debate also going in this thread...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

You forgot the biggest major factor MONEY.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
If you had the money why even mess with any production any thing? LT1 or LS1.

Good point.

Quick Reply: Why aren't there any aftermarket LT1 Blocks?