LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got lots of smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got lots of smoke

I just finished putting my headers on and i got lots of smoke pouring out of the engine bay. Now i assume thats all the oil they put on the pipes befor shipping buringing off but i also have some exhaust rap on around the sparkplugs cause they r kinda close and i dont want to risk melting them. So does exhaust rap burn/smoke cause it looks like smoke is comming off of them as well and how long until the pipes stop smoking?
Old 08-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

lol.... the name of your thread.... its sounds like your trying to sell the wacky tabacky on here.
Ill take a 30 bag.

First off, how long have they been on?
The escess oil/smoke should dicepate in 10-20 minutes at the most.

Who put your header gasket on? Did you use the proper sealent?

You want to use Mr. Gasket (or another brand Im forgetting.)
Did you torque them down correctly?
You can over torque them the first time you tighten down the bolts.
You might have a oil leak thats hitting a hot spot, causing the smoke.
and by the way
What color is the smoke? Seriously... water and oil are different colors and smells.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Launching!

yea i got pacesetter mid tubs W/ y pipe. I also did not use sealent because i didnt think you needed sealent unless it will leak fluid (which it wont cause its exhaust). cant tell what color the smoke was cause it was like 10 o'clock when i fired er up and it was dark.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know much about header wrap because I've always had mine Jet-Hot coated. When I got done with my header install I did experience some smoke, and a foul smell for a little while. It all fades eventually. As far as your spark plug wires go, try and take your time with routing those. They have to be correctly and carefully routed in order to be away from the headers. Take your time, do it right!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had smoke coming out the collector, looked like just the oil burning out the pipes and some coming out by the #7 cylinder. Ripped the paper gasket putting it in causing it to leak. Replaced the gasket and was all better. If its your wires burning you can def smell the sleeving melting.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

your pacesetters are not coated are they. The smoke you have is the crappy *** black coating they use for a temp. coating burning off. It stops after a few days so don't worry, it is not hurting anything. Mine did the same thing on my formula and so did my brothers z28 when we did his also. Nothing to worry about as it will stop and its not hurting anything. If you used the crappy paper gaskets they send you then you better add perma tex like they suggest, my brother did not and he blew out the number 7 and numer 6 cylinder gasket holes so he switched to mr gasket. do not use their gaskets cause they will go bad, i had to replace my collector gasket right away even after using perma tex.

Quick Reply: Got lots of smoke