LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

True Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My setup is 3" from header collectors to tips and the bullets are LOUD! I mean,.. its alot of fun to be able to set off car alarms with your exhaust.... until you have to leave for work every morning at 6am and worry that your neighbors may start plotting the demise of your ride. haha...

Last edited by hyperzone; 10-25-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by luckyou03
Thanks, I daily drive it. Not to bad, sounds wicked

ground clearance:

How much drone & interior noise do you get from your setup?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

interior drone is about 7-8 out of 10. my old flowmaster catback was probably a 5 out of 10

if i had turndowns and dumped the exhaust under the rear axle, i believe it would be a 10 out of 10.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the universal true dual kit made by flowmaster. I just put the car up on blocks and built it, it was extremely easy to do. I ran 12" bullets with the supplied h-pipe and 3" all the way back dumped before the rear axle. It was only about 220 or so for the kit and very easy to build. I have eibach pro-kit and the exhaust has never scraped the ground. The long tubes hang lower than the pipes. I actually built another set with the pipes i had left over if you are interested in buying it. I have pacesetter long tubes and thats what the pipes are made for, not sure if other headers are the same. I have the piping to the bullets and back from the bullets but i dont have any bullets, h-pipe or dumps. Let me know. This is what mine looks like:

Once you click it you can scroll through on that page and look at the rest of the pics.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The drone is pretty bad... I spent alot of time dynamatting and eliminating rattles from the interior for my stereo before I ever got the exhaust so, for me, its not to bad. The drone on a long highway cruise is considerable but, thats where my stereo picks up the slack and drowns out the exhaust. I've been posting similar comments about the x-pipe setup on like 3 different threads in here... anyway, I have a buddy with an LS1 TA which is cammed and he has no sound proofing at all.... his car had a tremendous amount of cabin resonance and rattles from the dumps. Oh, ALSO, I angled my dumps out a little towards the tires and that helped some as well vs. pointing them straight down so the sound bounces right back up at the body. I have a video on putfile showing how the exhaust sounds...

1996 camaro SS - stock engine with LT's and X-pipe

Last edited by hyperzone; 10-27-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice.

So can anyone answer if I can run duals with the spohn torque arm and the slp subframe connectors?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

do the flowmaster 1 chamber sound good???
Old 10-27-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

single chamber flowmaster

take off/flyby
http://www.lt1engine.com/soundlib/z28takeoff.asf
http://www.lt1engine.com/soundlib/z28flyby.asf

startup/Idle
http://www.lt1engine.com/soundlib/mov1.mpg
Old 10-27-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice what does that setup look like from underneath.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

REALLY?!? I dont think so, but thats my opinion vs. yours. hehe... I had to brighten this pic alot to see'em here. I have seen another guy out driving once, that had smaller pipes AND they didn't hang correctly (IMO) - the part right in front of the axle was like 2 inches off the road and looked like it was gonna fall off or something... Mine are 3" and I still have at least a good 4" under them.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

your's aren't bad at all... I don't think the ones i hated were hung correctly
Old 10-28-2006, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
Hey man that is the same exact setup I was lookin at running same headers and all except I have a ls1. http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=196&catid=56

I got some questions about it. Does it come welded together and rdy to clamp to the headers? Also is it stainless and if not does it come painted. Where it mounts in the back near the axle is there holes there alrdy?
Sorry, didn't notice this one till now.... it comes with band clamps (not welded) which are nice but not at good as welds. I believe it is stainless since mine is still not rusting after a year. They do not come painted at all. There are no holes for the brackets, you have to make them. Also, the kit is designed to have the turndowns actually pointing straight down which makes it even louder in the car (bad kind of loud that rattles the **** out of everything). angling them out and some dynamat in the back of the car will help you out alot unless you just dont care about it. Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hyperzone
Sorry, didn't notice this one till now.... it comes with band clamps (not welded) which are nice but not at good as welds. I believe it is stainless since mine is still not rusting after a year. They do not come painted at all. There are no holes for the brackets, you have to make them. Also, the kit is designed to have the turndowns actually pointing straight down which makes it even louder in the car (bad kind of loud that rattles the **** out of everything). angling them out and some dynamat in the back of the car will help you out alot unless you just dont care about it. Hope this helps.

Thx for the reply that answered my questions.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Nice.

So can anyone answer if I can run duals with the spohn torque arm and the slp subframe connectors?
I competent shop/person can run the X pipe between the Spohn TA (cross brace style) and the body provided that the TA is the one for LTs that has the "dip" in it...I don't know how the SLP SFCs mount so I can't answer that part of the question...

--Alan
Old 10-28-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Nice.

Where there's a will, there's usually a way. Probably have to run smaller pipes like 2.5" (maybe smaller yet) in there. Best way to find out is just get under the car with a 6-8" piece of PVC at whatever diameter your looking to use and see where it will fit and what not. I mean, I dont know of any kit that comes designed to work with a cross member torque arm AND SFC's... That has "custom-made-exhaust" written all over it in my opinion unless you want it ridiculously low underneath everything.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

I have the TSP true duals with the spiral flows run out the back under the axle and its not that much louder than my hookercatback was at cruising. You can hear it, but it doesn't drone and its not too loud at all. But when you get on it, expecially on spray it sounds ******* badass. Don't get me wrong, I set off car alarms at idle in parking garages, but its not bad in the car at all.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96mikez28
true duals dumped before the axle look RETARDED going down the road
Youre a dumbass. Anyone who types a statement like that negating others opinions is a RETARD.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperzone
Where there's a will, there's usually a way. Probably have to run smaller pipes like 2.5" (maybe smaller yet) in there. Best way to find out is just get under the car with a 6-8" piece of PVC at whatever diameter your looking to use and see where it will fit and what not. I mean, I dont know of any kit that comes designed to work with a cross member torque arm AND SFC's... That has "custom-made-exhaust" written all over it in my opinion unless you want it ridiculously low underneath everything.
Performance Auto Fabrication,a local shop, does it with 3" with no problems, It's all custom and it ain't cheap, but its well worth it to have 3" duals and the Spohn TA...He's doing mine soon...

--Alan
Old 10-30-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn, your in PA, I was up there for the summer.

I have the spohn brace with the dip. There is no way anyone in their right mind would run the pipes underneath it though, that brace seems to scrape everything!!

Thanks for the advice on just picking up some pvc and seeing where it will fit.

I had dumped duals on my 83 z28 and I loved it, I just want to get longtubes now and have the duals, instead of opening and closing the cutout all the time.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

With the slp subframe connectors the diamond parts that tie into the middle mount in between the body and the torque arm brace, so I'm hoping they won't be in the way, they tuck up there well.

The torque arm mount only has the dip on one side though?? I'm really curious about this, I know in one of the pics, that person wasn't running a brace at all between the two points, not even the factory piece.

Quick Reply: True Duals?