MSD Opti
42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Delteq vs Opti

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See whats happening with mine right now is that I am getting popping when the motor heats up. If I rev the engine after turning it over it will pop at idle. I took the car out and stepped on it in drive and it stalls.

I have a brand new accell cap and rotor on it. So apperently something else is wrong with the opti correct.

There wouldn't be a problem because all of the emissions are off right?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynaspark is currently working on their "Gen III" model that is specifically designed to work with either an LTCC or Delteq system.

If you buy the billet cover that Delteq sells, you can do your own variation of this concept with your existing optispark. Since the Delteq removes the burden of distributing spark from the Optispark, when you're done doing the conversion all the Optispark will be is an over-glorified cam position sensor.

Here's what it looks like mocked up on the engine:

Since the unit is now capless and rotorless, this allows for it to be slimmed down to about half it's original width. As you can see, where the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump is in relation to the now slimmer opti, if the water pump ever fails and decides to leak, it will leak in front of instead of on top of the opti. In addition to this, since all the plastic is removed leaving nothing but machined aluminum parts as the casing, this allows for a more reliable seal with RTV that will be immune to warping from engine heat over time which can allow leaks to form.

The only real ingenuity involved in doing this is cutting a groove in the machined cover to allow the optical sensor plug through. I'm working on a way to move the plug to the outside of the casing to allow for the unit to be sealed 360* around the perimeter. (It's rumored that the long plug hole on standard Optisparks is an easy entry point for moisture.) Hopefully the Dynaspark version has addressed this issue. The inside of the case will be sprayed with flat black paint to cut down on glare and prevent the optical sensor from being blinded. The spindle will also have a liberal amount of white lithium grease applied to the inside and outside to further insulate from any leaks, and two additional holes will be drilled in it for a total of 4 screws to hold the optical disk more securely for high RPM revving.

The fewer parts that are in a machine, the less that can go wrong with it. Maybe the thread originator should contact Dynaspark and see if their Gen III unit is available?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Launching!

whats the ltcc system
Old 08-22-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edlt1
whats the ltcc system
http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html
Old 08-22-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
It's $100. Summit Racing is selling it for $499.88 and Finish Line Performance sells is for $599. I don't know where you are getting your prices.

Summit Racing MSD Opti-Spark
FLP DynaSpark

Apples and oranges? Well... one product is a distributor and one is a header system. But the POINT is that you pay for quality. I am not trying to argue anything... just trying to make a point. Like I said, I like the MSD products and I think that they are top notch. I posted in this thread because the DynaSpark was not an option in this poll as it should be since it has been proven over the years. I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that my distributor isn't going to fail on me. The last thing that I would want to do is replace an opti-spark after everything is installed on my engine. $100 isn't work my time, effort, and even more money when I have to replace the defective opti-spark with a new one. Personally... I would not want to put a part on my car that hasn't been proven. Once the MSD opti-spark is proven, then it's all good. For example, if the MSD opti-spark came out years ago and was proven to work well just like the DynaSpark, naturally I would have purchased the MSD Opti-Spark and saved myself $100. Who wouldn't?

I'm done.
Somewhere down the line I think you missed the part when I said I have/had a Dynaspark and I will get another one soon. Were on the same page but whatever

I'm done

Dynaspark reported on CF that the GEN III is now availible.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DYNASPARK on CorvetteForum.com
The Gen III is finished and ready for public sale. We hired a professional graphic designer to redo our website with a shopping cart, it will have more information once the new website is uploaded. We will have pictures of each product as well as a few new surprises.
:yesnod:
Foshizzle
Old 08-22-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Somewhere down the line I think you missed the part when I said I have/had a Dynaspark and I will get another one soon. Were on the same page but whatever

I'm done

Dynaspark reported on CF that the GEN III is now availible.
Nope... didn't miss it. Just making a point.

FYI... I had the chance to change to a regular distributor when I did my recent engine build. I would have been an easy conversion since I was no longer using an LT1 intake manifold and I was using a FAST system... I would just have to order the FAST system for a regular distributor instead of for an Opti-Spark. Probably would have been cheaper too. But I have confidence in the DynaSpark and I wanted to make big power while retaining some LT1 style parts.

Done again.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DYNASPARK on CorvetteForum.com
The Gen III is finished and ready for public sale. We hired a professional graphic designer to redo our website with a shopping cart, it will have more information once the new website is uploaded. We will have pictures of each product as well as a few new surprises.
:yesnod:
Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Foshizzle
Good deal. Thanks for posting that.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
Nope... didn't miss it. Just making a point.

FYI... I had the chance to change to a regular distributor when I did my recent engine build. I would have been an easy conversion since I was no longer using an LT1 intake manifold and I was using a FAST system... I would just have to order the FAST system for a regular distributor instead of for an Opti-Spark. Probably would have been cheaper too. But I have confidence in the DynaSpark and I wanted to make big power while retaining some LT1 style parts.

Done again.
Pic1
Pic2
Show off

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Good deal. Thanks for posting that.
No problem. Now GEN IV should be the Dynaspark complete Opti delete kit. Stay tuned
Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Msd Ftw
Old 11-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Teching In

This is probably going to be the simplest reply of the bunch. Look, if you buy quality products, you're going to have quality results. After that, it's all personal prefrence. Period. You get what you pay for. If it was me, I'd buy the MSD or the Dynaspark just out of simplicity. I've seen cars go real fast with both, and the LTCC as well as the DELTEC. It's all up to who you want to give your business to.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Im in the market for a new opti,and was considering the delteq,the dynaspark sounds pretty good also.Lets hear from some delteq users on your experience with it...
Old 11-25-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought an MSD Pro-billet to run with my Delteq. (Overkill isn't in my vocabulary.) I gave up on trying to modify the stock optispark casing to run it capless and rotorless because in order for me to make it work I was gonna have to cut the optispark base and I didn't want to incur any additional problems. The MSD unit is built rock solid; very pleased with the quality. Something incredibly cool that's sort've a cosmic coincidence is that the CNC billet cover that Delteq sells to install in place of the distributor cap fits the MSD case like a glove. Since the MSD unit is sealed up with an o-ring, with it being sandwiched in between two precision milled CNC aluminum surfaces, this thing will be sealed up tight as a drum.

I'll get some pics up a little later showing what I did to make it rotorless.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

I absolutely love my MSD so far...but it only has a few hundred miles on it.....time will ultimately tell....Dynospark will be next. Had a LTCC that I bought to install- looked at it- then sold it to buy the MSD...too complicated, and looked to be a bitch to find mounting areas.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

I'm running the Deltec to 6500 rpm with my small cam motor and no issues.

How does the size of the cam effect the performance of the Deltec?

I'm aware that I could run just as fast without it but I bought it for its engineering.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like my delteq so far. No known issues. Its pricey but very easy to install. It just seems like the optispark having all that voltage and heat with the potential hazard of moisture getting in is a doomed design. That is why I chose the delteq.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:50 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Delteq here for 3 yrs now and not a single problem. I still wouldn't mind slapping a Gen III dynaspark for added insurance.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

I'm going to go with the delteq,I know you need a working opti,my question is can i just remove the rotor and put back the cap?Is it worth $95 to get the delteq billet cover?Thanks in advance

Rob
Old 11-28-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's some pics of a capless & rotorless MSD:

Here you can see where I shaved the original rotor down to just its base. The MSD Opti has a heavy duty circlip that holds the optical disk to the spindle but it needed the rotor base to keep it stabilized. (From wobbling or "fluttering" during high rpm's.) I replaced the original screws with heavy duty brass screws:

The MSD billet housing has a machined lip that an o-ring rests on to keep it sealed to the cap:

Here you can see that the Delteq billet cover has a reverse machined lip on the inside. The o-ring on the MSD housing seats perfectly inside this machined lip for a tight seal:

All together:

I was right on the verge of buying the Dynaspark Gen III unit, but I found a smoking deal on this MSD, ($400). When comparing that to the Dynaspark's $625 + shipping pricetag and trying to justify the additional $225, there really wasn't anything that the Dynaspark offered that was significantly better than the MSD that warranted the added expense. Even if you factored in the cost of the Delteq billet cover I still came out ahead $125.

I originally had my Delteq setup mounted to the bottom side of the cowl:

...but I'm in the process of fabbing up a custom bracket that will mount it to the rear of the intake manifold. A really cool side benefit to having it in this location is that if you're also running headers, tuneups now take about 30 minutes vs. the 4 hour contortionist act involved in doing it with the stock setup, and getting underneath the car to do it is no longer a necessity. Overall I'm very pleased with the Delteq setup and haven't had an ounce of trouble out of it.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just sent my MSD Optispark back under warranty today. I was getting faulty distributor code 36 (I posted a thread about this a couple of weeks ago). I phoned them and let them know it was giving the code, and that it had been checked out by a mechanic (waste of money).

I took the unit off today and found that the rotor had been rubbing against the housing apparently causing the thing to give the error code. It appears on the MSD unit that the rotor either sits too low in the housing, or somehow the shaft in the housing rides deeper and goes off balance as the unit gets more used.

The MSD had only 4000 miles on it. It's the first year for the MSD Optispark, and clearly there are bugs that have to be worked out. There has also been high demand for the unit so production problems may be a factor. I would note that it is not the MSD cap that is the problem so you would be okay buying one of them. Just the base distributor appears to have a problem in my case. There is someone else who posted this problem also so I'm not alone.

I will post to let people know how MSD handles my warranty repair.

Last edited by Speedy; 11-28-2006 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Delteq vs Opti