MSD Opti
42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Delteq vs Opti

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Delteq on my current setup. I am currently still contemplating whether or not to use it on the Z when I swap my stuff over to this car. That car has a Crane ignition box on it and I was seriously thinking about just going back to an opti setup. Have I had problems with the Delteq? No. There are a few things I don't like about the Delteq such as not having an ignition retard and no rev limiter. I will also say that after I installed the Delteq, I had to get another opti anyway so I shelled out the dough for ignition components. The reason I had bought the Delteq is cuz my coil died. I can't really remember all the details but we thought my cap and rotor had took a dump. Turned out later to be the coil. I'm kinda leaning back towards the traditional setup cuz of the features like retard and rev limiter.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I have the Delteq on my current setup. I am currently still contemplating whether or not to use it on the Z when I swap my stuff over to this car. That car has a Crane ignition box on it and I was seriously thinking about just going back to an opti setup. Have I had problems with the Delteq? No. There are a few things I don't like about the Delteq such as not having an ignition retard and no rev limiter. I will also say that after I installed the Delteq, I had to get another opti anyway so I shelled out the dough for ignition components. The reason I had bought the Delteq is cuz my coil died. I can't really remember all the details but we thought my cap and rotor had took a dump. Turned out later to be the coil. I'm kinda leaning back towards the traditional setup cuz of the features like retard and rev limiter.
DIS-4's got all that.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
DIS-4's got all that.
Tried it. Ditched it. Was a lot of headache for me.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Teching In

I run the DELTEQ kit on my car with the stock opti at 126k on the clock... My car was cutting out when it was warm and would stutter when you gave it gas... I put the delteq kit on and havent had a problem since... Will prolly have some problems before too long just cause I am saying I havent had any problems... And I also have MSD coils

Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Nice! I just wish my Delteq had more options. Otherwise, it's a nice system.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

I plan on going with a Delteq soon,Question is, does the factory rev limiter work or not with this system?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rob97ss
I plan on going with a Delteq soon,Question is, does the factory rev limiter work or not with this system?
It does. Don't want to use factory rev limit with nitrous though. Factory limiter (I think) cuts fuel whereas an aftermarket rev limit will cut spark.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

It does. Don't want to use factory rev limit with nitrous though. Factory limiter (I think) cuts fuel whereas an aftermarket rev limit will cut spark.
Believe you're correct on that, in fact it's the reason I went with the LTCC, future nitrous capability & LTCC has rev limits, etc all built in, I have it all in a box ready to go on when I get the FAST pcm.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
Believe you're correct on that, in fact it's the reason I went with the LTCC, future nitrous capability & LTCC has rev limits, etc all built in, I have it all in a box ready to go on when I get the FAST pcm.
Wonder if you could just implement the LTCC brain into an existing Delteq system? Or too much wiring difference?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Wonder if you could just implement the LTCC brain into an existing Delteq system? Or too much wiring difference?
Good question but I wouldn't see the headache being worthwhile, much rather have individual coilpacks, wish the LTCC would have worked on mine without any issues, but the Delteq would have done the same, I'm shifting above 7k but my OBDII pcm looses sight after 6900- 7k...so the Delteq wouldn't work either, the LTCC doesn't like this pcm right now, considering just doing the crank trigger, cam pos sen & a real dist (firewall clearance not an issue).

Delteq or LTCC both are fine so I hear, the new MSD opti (too new, have heard mixed issues with overheating due to the billet design, etc). Personally right now I'd put a new GM opti against all three, the Delteq, LTCC or new MSD and still do just as good (if not better). I say this based on results from various posts and the searching I did myself prior purchasing the LTCC, which I wanted for nitrous control down the road and liked the individual coils idea.

Some have had issues with Delteq, LTCC & MSDs new setup, others are doing fine but I'd recommend searching here and also camaroz28.com to fulfill you're inquiry.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks,i figured that,just wanted to double check....
Old 12-12-2006, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

My setup is doing just fine. MSD DIS4, DELTEQ, Dyna-Spark GEN III, (4) MSD red coils and more I agree, some people have all kinds of problems and others don't have any problems. Its real hit & miss with these setups for some reason ?

Old 12-12-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96silverram
My setup is doing just fine. MSD DIS4, DELTEQ, Dyna-Spark GEN III, (4) MSD red coils and more I agree, some people have all kinds of problems and others don't have any problems. Its real hit & miss with these setups for some reason ?

Your car is beautiful! It makes me wanna burn mine every time I see some pic of it on here!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you, I feel the same when I see your sig....
Old 12-13-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speedy
I just sent my MSD Optispark back under warranty today. I was getting faulty distributor code 36 (I posted a thread about this a couple of weeks ago). I phoned them and let them know it was giving the code, and that it had been checked out by a mechanic (waste of money).

I took the unit off today and found that the rotor had been rubbing against the housing apparently causing the thing to give the error code. It appears on the MSD unit that the rotor either sits too low in the housing, or somehow the shaft in the housing rides deeper and goes off balance as the unit gets more used.

The MSD had only 4000 miles on it. It's the first year for the MSD Optispark, and clearly there are bugs that have to be worked out. There has also been high demand for the unit so production problems may be a factor. I would note that it is not the MSD cap that is the problem so you would be okay buying one of them. Just the base distributor appears to have a problem in my case. There is someone else who posted this problem also so I'm not alone.

I will post to let people know how MSD handles my warranty repair.
this was actually made known awhile back that a few of the caps were warped and causing this problem... i got the first shipment of the MSD's in and i havent had a problem yet and im around 9K miles or so... i just makes me wonder... but now that the car is going down... im going to pop it off and take a look just to see....

Quick Reply: Delteq vs Opti