LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

FINALLY!!!!!!! Edelbrock released LT1-LT4 intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GIZMO
That is cheap compared to a good sheet metal intake..
my point exactly i have a super vic on my cocktail table as i type..
Old 08-29-2006, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, cheap is a matter of perspective. I paid around $2,300 for my Super Vic when all was said and done.

Here is a pic of an original LT1 intake that someone on Z28.com had modified and powdercoated so you can see that the plenum isn't any bigger than this new Edelbrock piece.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turbo_6
Yeah, cheap is a matter of perspective. I paid around $2,300 for my Super Vic when all was said and done.[/IMG]
Well i'm still unsure of what my final tab will be.. but w/ 2500 into work on my heads.. What does it matter? lol..
Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

$2,300 into your super vic?
what could have possibly made it cost that much?
gold plated?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by asudecat
$2,300 into your super vic?
what could have possibly made it cost that much?
gold plated?
i'm sure the cost to conv't it to F/I and that inlcuded accessories and stuff such as TB, injector's,rails'a nd of course.. porting.. they're pretty rough out the box.. I can take some pic's if you'd like of a as cast one..
Old 08-30-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Actually they dont need much porting out of the box. Just a little plenum work.
I guess I can see $2300 with a $400 Tb and $300 Elbow.
My super vic was around $1000 not including the TB and Elbow.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GIZMO
That is cheap compared to a good sheet metal intake. N/A nines shouldn't be that hard with a ported factory intake. I've seen it done under some pretty tight rules with an LT4 runnining IHRA Top Stock.

Really....... is that so?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:07 AM
8 Second Club

Really....... is that so?
Yeah, considering the C/FIA Stock Eliminator national record is a 10.68 @ 124, and they have to run un-touched heads and intake, and a stock lift cam! They are also running at about a 3400 pound raceweight.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Well it must be pretty hard, or you'd see everyone doing it.
9's with stock intake? I know it's been done but it's not easy.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:28 AM
8 Second Club

Well it must be pretty hard, or you'd see everyone doing it.
9's with stock intake? I know it's been done but it's not easy.
It's not really that hard... Stock eliminator cars (LT1's) make about 430-460 hp. It all in the rest of the setup-chassis, suspension, gearing, converter, ect. Here is a good article:
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...g_racing_tips/

Throw a good set of heads, a ported intake and a big cam, and it could be done. Hell, look at Ed Wright... he's gone 10.teens and with stock castings, and I'm sure in better weather he'll get it into the 9's!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

I called and talked to them again, its on backorder, but I now have my name on one of the intakes. I was told May-June was the officiall release time. I had $100 taken out of my account for a hold deposit.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

As mentioned earlier, by the time you get all the accessories, machine work done, powdercoating, elbow, throttlebody, TPS/IAC/MAP adapters, milling, porting, drilling the heads for the new bolt pattern, and in my case carbon fiber base plate and polydyn heat rejection coatings it really adds up.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
i'm sure the cost to conv't it to F/I and that inlcuded accessories and stuff such as TB, injector's,rails'a nd of course.. porting.. they're pretty rough out the box.. I can take some pic's if you'd like of a as cast one..
Man that's expensive for SV work, LME is building mine next week with custom AN-10 fuel rails, port matching the big heads, setting up the bolts/welding the non-aligning intake bolts, maching the new bolts, welding on the fuel bungs...yada yada ...$650. Now I'm paying a little more for them to max port the entire internals but still...far from the $2k mark

Either way you made the right choice on intakes from all I've researched. This new Edelbrock intake doesn't look outwardly to appear much better than an LT4.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys need to break out the checkbook and leave the pennybank at home LOL, here's mine and we are gonna be happy running 10.90's@3650lbs all motor on pumpgas through an automatic.

That edelbrock intake aint gonna be what ya think.

David
Old 08-31-2006, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You guys need to break out the checkbook and leave the pennybank at home LOL, here's mine and we are gonna be happy running 10.90's@3650lbs all motor on pumpgas through an automatic.

That edelbrock intake aint gonna be what ya think.

David

I've seen and contemplated this intake you posted, but have yet to see proof of a benchmark comparison to a maxed out SuperVic. checkbook vs piggybank is not what makes a fast car necessarily. I also looked at a custom sheetmetal intake with billet runners for around $3k, but there is no proof it was "all that" compared to a SV...

Good luck on the 10.9 on n/a, shooting for the same here with just the max-ported LT4 intake for now (until the SV is done).
Old 08-31-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
I've seen and contemplated this intake you posted, but have yet to see proof of a benchmark comparison to a maxed out SuperVic. checkbook vs piggybank is not what makes a fast car necessarily. I also looked at a custom sheetmetal intake with billet runners for around $3k, but there is no proof it was "all that" compared to a SV...

Good luck on the 10.9 on n/a, shooting for the same here with just the max-ported LT4 intake for now (until the SV is done).
Could you PM me your setup?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

I'm thinkin here, wouldn't most of us with the AI and LE H/C cars be having out intakes ported by either one of them? I mean we don't know much about the specs of these new ones, what would make this a better option rather than just having them ported by our trusties?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR

There are only one of these intakes, they are not for sale.(as far as I know) as far as being "all that" Wilson stated this intake will outflow one of his non restrictor plate Nascar Nextel Cup super Victors...to me that is saying alot....not beating my own drum, just repeating what was stated to from the man (IMO) is THE intake manifold guru.

500 rwhp will go high 10's in a 3650# car with a mid 1.40 sixty foot, actually it has been done with 460 rwhp with a guy on this board. I have all the suspension to get er done ith the 60 ft dept. We will see, she gettin closer.

The advantage of a sheetmetal is you can get THE runner length you need for YOUR engine combination.

Our intake looks just like a sheetmetal on the inside, but has a stock"look"..which is what we wanted.

I would like to see a sheetmetal with billet runners, got a pic? All the ones I have seen have sheetmetal fabbed runners.

And for the record I never said that if you spend more money you go faster, but that IS the way it is. Speed takes cubic dollars not cubic inches.

David
Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
There are only one of these intakes, they are not for sale.(as far as I know) as far as being "all that" Wilson stated this intake will outflow one of his non restrictor plate Nascar Nextel Cup super Victors...to me that is saying alot....not beating my own drum, just repeating what was stated to from the man (IMO) is THE intake manifold guru.

500 rwhp will go high 10's in a 3650# car with a mid 1.40 sixty foot, actually it has been done with 460 rwhp with a guy on this board. I have all the suspension to get er done ith the 60 ft dept. We will see, she gettin closer.

The advantage of a sheetmetal is you can get THE runner length you need for YOUR engine combination.

Our intake looks just like a sheetmetal on the inside, but has a stock"look"..which is what we wanted.

I would like to see a sheetmetal with billet runners, got a pic? All the ones I have seen have sheetmetal fabbed runners.

And for the record I never said that if you spend more money you go faster, but that IS the way it is. Speed takes cubic dollars not cubic inches.

David
Thanks for the clarification David, I thought it was a one-off from what I read, either way it looks like a true performer, can't wait to hear how she does in the end and good luck with it, please keep us informed.

Progressive knowledge & learning what makes these cars scream down the track never rests...not in my book at least
Old 08-31-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Def. a nice piece.. Mind telling about your heads? as far as runner sizes etc.. I'm just trying to gauge where i should "hope" to be when mine's done..

Quick Reply: FINALLY!!!!!!! Edelbrock released LT1-LT4 intake