LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

FINALLY!!!!!!! Edelbrock released LT1-LT4 intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
Out of stock? They've never had any in stock, as they aren't even in production yet! Anyone wanna bet they won't be available before March, like I said??
Bet you're dead right on the release, but I still don't see the advantages to this intake, other than the clearance under it allowing for a little cooling which may lower the ambient temp a tad...otherwise it has less plenum volume IMO...still think a custom SuperVic would be a better route, even a VicJr for those less wanting a little less radical...even the GM dual plane for 23d heads would outperform this I believe...ok that's a stretch but I've always wondered what those midrange dual plane LT whatevertheyarecalled GM intakes would do on an LT1, never seen any numbers, wouldn't want one, just curious.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

The obvious problem is a lack of choices. The LT4 intake went away, and now prices are rediculously inflated. Edelbrock was supposed to have a product out by now to run clean up, but I'm afraid they dropped the ball while undoubtedly trying like crazy to bust 5hp gains so that they don't lose the quazi-hardcore crowd. The only thing on the market for an LT1 was an LT4 from GM, and now that's gone. I bet if we complain any more about how crappy a' intake Edelbrock comes up with there will only be a hand-full (if any) to go around. If you **** off the aftermarket, you're gonna end up paying Joe Blow fifty bucks an hour to go after your stock intake for 15+ hours with a plasma cutter, just so you can stuff ice in a more efficient position, and it still wouldn't flow any better for it. I don't mean to sound like a jack ss, but I don't want to see this intake get sht canned before it gets off the ground. You guys gotta remember that the factory LT4 intake was $460 new from Summit this time last year (page 32), so the price and performance seem about right considering the current choices. I'm stressin, and I haven't even bought myself an LT1 car yet - sheesh.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Phantom&RedGoat2004
The obvious problem is a lack of choices. The LT4 intake went away, and now prices are rediculously inflated. Edelbrock was supposed to have a product out by now to run clean up, but I'm afraid they dropped the ball while undoubtedly trying like crazy to bust 5hp gains so that they don't lose the quazi-hardcore crowd. The only thing on the market for an LT1 was an LT4 from GM, and now that's gone. I bet if we complain any more about how crappy a' intake Edelbrock comes up with there will only be a hand-full (if any) to go around. If you **** off the aftermarket, you're gonna end up paying Joe Blow fifty bucks an hour to go after your stock intake for 15+ hours with a plasma cutter, just so you can stuff ice in a more efficient position, and it still wouldn't flow any better for it. I don't mean to sound like a jack ss, but I don't want to see this intake get sht canned before it gets off the ground. You guys gotta remember that the factory LT4 intake was $460 new from Summit this time last year (page 32), so the price and performance seem about right considering the current choices. I'm stressin, and I haven't even bought myself an LT1 car yet - sheesh.
You do realize an LT4 intake offers no intial performance gains over that of the LT1 Intake right??????????????????????????????????????

BTW edelbrock tried to realease an intake many years ago. Failed to produce anymore hp than the stock unit, and it got **** canned.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that it is great, not specifically for performance gains because we all know that you are not going to get any real performance gains from a manifold swap with the LT1. For the guys that are using LT4 heads, such as myself, having a set of new AFR LT4 210's, it's great. I don't have to pay $1000.00 for a GM LT4 or $2500.00 for a custom sheet metal. I think that this is the main reason why a lot of guys are excited and I really don't see why so many guys are on the badwagon to bash the crap out of it??

I just want to kick myself for not buying a stock GM LT4 when I had the chance for just over $200.00, so now, I have a second chance!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
I think that it is great, not specifically for performance gains because we all know that you are not going to get any real performance gains from a manifold swap with the LT1. For the guys that are using LT4 heads, such as myself, having a set of new AFR LT4 210's, it's great. I don't have to pay $1000.00 for a GM LT4 or $2500.00 for a custom sheet metal. I think that this is the main reason why a lot of guys are excited and I really don't see why so many guys are on the badwagon to bash the crap out of it??

I just want to kick myself for not buying a stock GM LT4 when I had the chance for just over $200.00, so now, I have a second chance!

Exactly. It's an LT4 intake for the same price it used to be and made by another company. I'd personally buy it for that, and the 4-5 hp gains would put me a tad happier with the purchase - it's a bonus. That is 4 more hp than the guy with the stocker.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

well not to revive this thread but just something I came across that I thought was interesting

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...31720_-1_11935

but I wonder if you can actually order it. I looked in summits website and punched in the same part numbers but nada
Old 01-03-2007, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buffman
You do realize an LT4 intake offers no intial performance gains over that of the LT1 Intake right??????????????????????????????????????

BTW edelbrock tried to realease an intake many years ago. Failed to produce anymore hp than the stock unit, and it got **** canned.
Ya, but the heads do and you need the LT4 intake to run the Heads. I would like to run the Lt4 heads but I can't because I don't have the intake, so if edelbrock makes one I can do the LT4 heads.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at least its less then summits 538 :rollseyes:
Old 01-03-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

this thread still open
Old 01-03-2007, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by onephatZ28
Ya, but the heads do and you need the LT4 intake to run the Heads. I would like to run the Lt4 heads but I can't because I don't have the intake, so if edelbrock makes one I can do the LT4 heads.
That is exactly the sort of IGNORANCE Edelbrock is banking on .
Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
That is exactly the sort of IGNORANCE Edelbrock is banking on .

Ignorant how? You need the LT4 intake in order to run anything larger than the AFR 190 heads. I guess by your reasoning all of those who run the larger heads are ignorant and not as smart as the astute Caprice manager you call yourself.

I think we should do a poll and ask what offers more potential for overall performance: the 190 cc heads and smaller, or 195 cc heads and bigger?

Wal mart is missing their manager...is it you?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh boy
Old 01-03-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onephatZ28
Ignorant how? You need the LT4 intake in order to run anything larger than the AFR 190 heads. I guess by your reasoning all of those who run the larger heads are ignorant and not as smart as the astute Caprice manager you call yourself.

I think we should do a poll and ask what offers more potential for overall performance: the 190 cc heads and smaller, or 195 cc heads and bigger?

Wal mart is missing their manager...is it you?
You will be picked apart. Youre way off. Do some research on the LT1 boards so you dont waste your money in the end.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Now IIRC all you need to do is port match the LT1 intake to the LT4 heads in question, then it should fit right?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

On my last two LT1 strokers I had to run an LT4 manifold to run the AFR race heads. The LT4 intake runner has a raised runner angle of 7 degrees over the LT1 intake which does help as far as I know. For example, the LT1's have 23 degree heads, while the LS1 heads are 18 degrees, and I believe the LS7 heads are 12 degrees but not sure. I know the intake is seperate from the heads, but since they are related it raises a valid point.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
You will be picked apart. Youre way off. Do some research on the LT1 boards so you dont waste your money in the end.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone actually own one yet?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Exactly what Chaotic Firebird said, does anyone have one physically on their hands????????? this thread is worthless without anybody owning one............
Old 01-04-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Built LT1
On my last two LT1 strokers I had to run an LT4 manifold to run the AFR race heads. The LT4 intake runner has a raised runner angle of 7 degrees over the LT1 intake which does help as far as I know. For example, the LT1's have 23 degree heads, while the LS1 heads are 18 degrees, and I believe the LS7 heads are 12 degrees but not sure. I know the intake is seperate from the heads, but since they are related it raises a valid point.

LSX heads are less degrees than that If I remember right. I dont think the LT4 has a raised runner angle..
Old 01-04-2007, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buffman
I dont think the LT4 has a raised runner angle..

The LT4 intake does in fact have raised intake ports that are 0.10'' or 2.5mm higher than the LT1 intake ports, this allows you to run the higher angle heads; which is precisely why LT1 heads and intakes do not interchange with LT4 heads and intakes. Another difference between the two (aside from color) is that the LT4 intake has more material in the runner to allow for more accurate match porting (described in the link). Ultimately, this allows for the use of larger heads for perfomance and more efficient air flow as well due to the raised runner angle on the LT4 head and intake combo. I think this is the point that onephatz28 was making.

Here is a link with exact specs:http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

Last edited by Built LT1; 01-04-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: FINALLY!!!!!!! Edelbrock released LT1-LT4 intake