Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing optispark help in parts right now

hey guys

replacing optispark

i have everything off but the drive belt pulley *crankshaft pulley*

how the hell do you get that damn thing off??? i have a 3 claw pulley right now. dunno how to get it off

and i moved the drive belt pulley about 5 degrees on accident with my wrench, will i be ok or will this mess up timing???

need help thanks!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:05 AM
TECH Resident

You cant mess timing up unless you have the chain off and turn the gears or turn the crank with the chain off. When you are removing the pulley you should turn on the puller a few times and then beat on the back side of the pulley with a rubber mallet. after a few you should start to see more crank. make sure you try to keep it at top dead center to be safe. Once the pulley is off you cant unbolt the opti from the motor. you should pull it straight out from the block and your done. Bolt the new one in and makw sure you get the pin on the cam in the slot with the notch on it or the thing wont start...if it does it wont run right or idle.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:19 AM
11 Second Club

A very important deatail. You need to put a bolt into the hole for the balancer hub that is long enough for you to push of with for the puller. Otherwise you will wind up breaking the ears off of the hub. It won't work if you just put the puller screw into the balancer hub, you wind up pushing on one part os the hub while pulling on the ears and it will break
Old 08-26-2006, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Why are you removing the whole thing? The pulley comes off the hub with the three bolts on the front then the opti wiggles off.

And I would never say someone's wrong, but I beat a balancer off with a rubber mallet once and the outer ring started coming off the inner hub and then that balancer is done.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Here is a link on how to remove the damper/pulley. Don't worry about having spun the damper a little. The bolt holes are not equally spaced and it can only go on one way. Since yours is an unvented pulley it is not driven by a cam pin. There is a splined shaft in the center of the cam gear that has to be lined up correctly when reinstalling or your timing will be off. I'll see if I can find a link with pictures.

http://shbox.com/1/pull_pulley.jpg

Here's a link for a '94 opti.

http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg

Last edited by anaik; 08-26-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some pb blaster works wonders on getting the balancer off, you don't need to remove the whole hub. The puller kit won't have a bolt long enough, I had to get a steel rod that I cut down and grinded down so it would fit into the crank snout when I changed my timing chain, but yes you only have to get the balancer/pulley off, not the hub.

Quick Reply: removing optispark help in parts right now