LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

7000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, you have a fresh cap and rotor. There is more to the opti then spark distribution.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ari G
Talked to Alvin and he says that the motor canīt even come close to 7k???

Is anyone turning there motor between 6-7K in here?I know there are a few,donīt remember who?

GTP PWR and streetwarrior96 any commentīs?

Mine does 6400 with no hesitation.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a GM847 and i pul it to 7000 no prob.I had spring issues at first i was floating the valves at 5900 then stepped it up to 977-16 spring no more probs
Old 08-27-2006, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roughneck427
I have a GM847 and i pul it to 7000 no prob.I had spring issues at first i was floating the valves at 5900 then stepped it up to 977-16 spring no more probs
I ran my 847 to 6700 on the stock bottom, and it pulled hard with no pops, or issues. I was on the stock Ign, no msd or anything.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well you loose I have a fresh unit and this starts way before 5500rpm where the stock unit is fine,4k and no power
No buddy, you lose. A cap and rotor doesnt mean didly squat. That is more of a bandaid. Like everyone else said, Its your opti. Instead of changing your cap and rotor just buy a new opti.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its eather the tune or valve springs and pushrods.what springs and pushrods do u have???
Old 08-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Man he didnt ask what you guys thought he needed to spin with his cam, he asked why it doesnt turn over 5k. Does it run smooth up to 5k? You might have a faulty coil. I bought a digital 6 box and it was bad right out of the box. MSD's quality has went through the floor. Also when you get to 5k does it just stop picking up rpms like you were holding the pedal steddy? Or does it start cracking and popping when you get to 5k?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

967 sprins from Lazercams,this was a compleate package,i asked him about the springs and he says he had put 5years of experiances with these springs and they vere the best

UA-Plumber: wana bet?50$ itīs the tune or Spring/Valve adjustmennt related not he opti

Iīm trying to datalog but having trouble geting it to work,when i can then well see whatīs wrong

MSD kit is better than the oem unit
Old 08-27-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

967 sprins from Lazercams,this was a compleate package,i asked him about the springs and he says he had put 5years of experiances with these springs and they vere the best

UA-Plumber: wana bet?50$ itīs the tune or Spring/Valve adjustmennt related not he opti

Iīm trying to datalog but having trouble geting it to work,when i can then well see whatīs wrong

MSD kit is better than the oem unit
Whatever buddy. You are obviously the smartest guy on here. An LT1 expert even. If know all the answers to your problems (which you put out like you do), then why are you even asking for our help????
Old 08-27-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by my94blackz
Man he didnt ask what you guys thought he needed to spin with his cam, he asked why it doesnt turn over 5k. Does it run smooth up to 5k? You might have a faulty coil. I bought a digital 6 box and it was bad right out of the box. MSD's quality has went through the floor. Also when you get to 5k does it just stop picking up rpms like you were holding the pedal steddy? Or does it start cracking and popping when you get to 5k?
It runs 100% to 3.5k in parcial throttle,starting at 3k Wot it pulls to 4k,then slows down and feels funnyat 5k it nearly stops and pops,i can force it to 6 but itīs no use dosent accelerate after 4.5-5k

I have MSD Coil going to but my oem in and see
Old 08-27-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UA-Plumber
Whatever buddy. You are obviously the smartest guy on here. An LT1 expert even. If know all the answers to your problems (which you put out like you do), then why are you even asking for our help????

I have been in this longer than you so.... STFU

Iīm telling everyone that this is not opti related.Everything that goes wrong is blamed on the opti witch is

Iīm asking for help from people who know what they are saying(your not included )

Everyone else,Thanks for the input iīm really thankfull

When i get the computer connected then well see whos wrong and whoīs wright

Using TunerPro 4.13 and DA3.xdf and LT1_92-93.ads
Old 08-27-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 08-27-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by my94blackz
Nothing wrong with people sharing thier opinion and trying to advise. If he nor you can take that then niether one of you should post on the net. He seems to know it all so I wish him good luck and unsubscribing because there is nothing to learn in this thread.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

just saying that the opti is not the cause and still people say it is,it could be but with a fresh opti you should be thinking of other things

With the old one i had long cranking at startup,studder at low rpmbad mpg ect and know thatīs all gone with the fresh unit so thatīs out of the way
Old 08-27-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

If I may ask, why did you change to the MSD cap and rotor? The reason we say you cant rule it out is because like someone said, there is more to the opti and if you were having issues with the opti before hand the msd cap and rotor may not be the complete fix. Wouldnt hurt to rule it out for sure but if youre 100% sure it's good then we have no choice but to move past it because we can only help by going off what you tell us.
The cam was degreed in, you have the right springs, have you had the covers off since the install to make sure all is adjusted and looks good?
Like Alvin said I would look at the ignition. Also I would get the fuel pressure and for sure get some datalogs when you can. Rule out everything before blaming the tune. I blamed my tune once and felt like a *** when I found out I was having mechanical issues like the tuner said I was.
Remember most of us arent ase pro mechanics. Were just avarage dudes like you who come together to form a big think tank. What you may not of thought of someone else will then in the end we have all learned from it and are able to use the info ourselves when it happens to us or others
Old 08-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

just saying that the opti is not the cause and still people say it is,it could be but with a fresh opti you should be thinking of other things

With the old one i had long cranking at startup,studder at low rpmbad mpg ect and know thatīs all gone with the fresh unit so thatīs out of the way
Your opti isn't fresh if you only replaced the cap and rotor. Like others have stated, the whole unit needs to be replaced when these things go bad. It sounds ignition related, but it could also be a problem with your valvetrain. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Stumble,hesitation,bad mpg ect,when i took it apart there was moisture in it, i could see where the current had draged on the cap,the seal on the opti was rock hard

Perfect install of the cam ect..

ICM could be bad

I suspected the tune because Alvin sayd that the 93 cant rev near 7k or past,but i thought the pcm could handle 7250rpm MAX so if he thought that he wouldent have edited the bin to that high rpm, spark,fuel ect

Iīm not blaiming Alvin for my problems,he has been very helpfull so he gets my vote for your next tuner but itīs allwayīs a possibility
Old 08-27-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

when optis go bad, they go real bad, they dont just pop at the same rpm every time. at one point, my car would actually pop at a high rpm every time and it turns out when i put plugs in i had dropped one and a piece of the white part of the plug was cracked off and thats what it was.

as far as motors turning 7k in here there are several, i have a 383 on the way that will turn almost 8
Old 08-27-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Brother I dont mean to dwell but I the opti is bugging the mess out of me. If I lived closer I would send you a good one I have just to rule it out.
Go ahead and rule out the ICM just because since that's pretty easy.
Are you sure Alvin said the 93 cant be reved that high? That's the first Ive heard of it. I even had a post about it and everyone said it could be spun as high as the 94's. Also note that most tachs are off on the dash. If youre spinning to 7k you may only actually be spinning to 6700-6800.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
when optis go bad, they go real bad, they dont just pop at the same rpm every time. at one point, my car would actually pop at a high rpm every time and it turns out when i put plugs in i had dropped one and a piece of the white part of the plug was cracked off and thats what it was.

as far as motors turning 7k in here there are several, i have a 383 on the way that will turn almost 8
Not exactly. Do a search. There have been guys with the same issue and it turned out to be the opti. As a matter of fact when my opti went bad it only had issues in the upper rpm's. Later I would get a HR code but only when reved high. Normal driving it was great.

Quick Reply: 7000rpm