LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Info about the "Dynaspark Gen III"

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Info about the "Dynaspark Gen III"

I spoke with a Dynaspark service rep about this unit over the phone and from the way he described it, it sounds like they designed it to compete on par with the MSD Pro Billet distributor except it eliminates the failure prone cap and rotor section. (By working in conjunction with a Delteq or LTCC setup.) I had him e-mail me some info about it and here's what I got:

The Gen 3 distributor carries over all the benefits from the standard dynaspark including, sealed integral wiring harness, sealed press fit bearing with a 360 degree retention ring, improved optical sensor cooling for ideal operation in the higher rpms, and so on...

The Gen 3 is fitted with a recessed 6061 extrude hone billet aluminum cap and housing to allow heat to dissipate from the distributor with ease. The inside of the cap is finished with an EMI (electromagnetic impulse) reduced coating to prevent intereference with your optical pickup at high rpms. The reluctor wheel mount and backing plates are black oxide coated to prevent corrossion.

The billet cap is equipped with our triple sealing technique to eliminate leakage. The cap is secured with proprietary stainless steel security fasteners to garuntee our work. All hardware inside the gen 3 is stainless steel. Each unit is assembled by hand in our shop by trained technicians. After the final assembly the unit is then tested on our machines to garuntee its operation.

The Gen 3 has proven to be a bullet proof design in our beta testing and we are confident in its performance. Our optical sensor is used in Formula 1 racing and tested to be accurate to 10,000 rpms. Our bearing is manufactured by NTN and rated to 13,000 rpms. With the Gen 3, your distributor will no longer be a limitation---

Our graphic designer has taken all of the photos for the website. Subsequently, we have nothing at this moment. We will get a digital camera and hopefully have pictures for you by the end of the day. Keep in mind that the Gen 3 also carriers a 12 month warranty from the date of purchase. If you have any further questions regarding the Gen 3 please don't hesitate to ask, we would be happy to explain things further. Thank you for your interest, we look forward to providing you with the very best.

Sincerely,
Dynaspark Crew
I kind've expected this, but I never got any pics from Dynaspark of the unit. But luckily when I had the service rep on the phone, I asked him what the deal was about the fact that their main website has said that the Gen III will be available in June '06 and yet 3 months later there's still no update or pics of the unit. He gave me the name of the guy who's working on their updated site so I e-mailed HIM to see if I could squeeze any pics out of him. Here's his reply:

rob,

my client's photos are not yet available to the public and i cannot
state a specific launch date for their website. both of these fall
under non-disclosure so i cannot discuss this project directly with my
client's customers.

please direct all inquiries about dynaspark and their product line to
info@dynaspark.net or 260-433-5474.

thank you for your inquiry.

-erik
So even though it appears to be a case of bad planning on Dynaspark's part, the unit IS for sale currently even though their website doesn't reflect it. The cost is $525. Just thought I'd post this as an FYI for anybody who was looking for ignition options for their LT1.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so its 525, but this is for pre existing LS1 coil or the delteq setups already correct... this is just the optical sensor for more precise ignition control... looks good... cant wait to see what it looks like...
Old 09-24-2006, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Now you've got me interested....
Old 09-24-2006, 03:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by harvickgm
so its 525, but this is for pre existing LS1 coil or the delteq setups already correct... this is just the optical sensor for more precise ignition control... looks good... cant wait to see what it looks like...
http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,590,442
Old 09-24-2006, 06:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Those pics seem to be blank boxes for me. Might be my browser. But seems to me like 525 for this thing is a little high. I probably wouldn't buy one at that price. I would probably ditch my Delteq and try an MSD before I would shell out 525 for an optical sensor.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=dynaspark
Old 09-24-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for posting those links. If owning this thing means that I'll never have to disassemble the whole front of my engine to change a bad cap & rotor again, and/or do the human contortionist act that's required to install a new set of spark plug wires in the stock location, then those two factors alone make it worth the $525 pricetag to me. The fact that it's based off of a product who's previous designs have a proven track record of being bulletproof just seems like icing on the cake.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Thanks for posting those links. If owning this thing means that I'll never have to disassemble the whole front of my engine to change a bad cap & rotor again, and/or do the human contortionist act that's required to install a new set of spark plug wires in the stock location, then those two factors alone make it worth the $525 pricetag to me. The fact that it's based off of a product who's previous designs have a proven track record of being bulletproof just seems like icing on the cake.
The price is a little steep I think you pretty much hit it on the head and that's why it'll sell.

Quick Reply: Info about the "Dynaspark Gen III"