LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Some questions before my build

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Some questions before my build

Wel i bought my Z a year ago and ive been building up parts for a cam swap (cc306 unless i find something better) the motor is a 355 with a little over 30k miles. On the build sheet is states that i have roller tip rockers. I have personally never pulled a valve cover to check the out myself. But any way, should i upgrade to full rollers while doing the cam swap? Or will the roller tips handle a larger cam? So far for the swap i have...

CC306 Camshaft
Comp 918 Springs
New Comp Locks
New Comp Seats
New Comp Steel Retainers
EWP
95+ Opti Swap and everything needed
TrickFlow 7.200" chromoly pushrods
Cloyes Double Roller

Other goodies include
3.73's
Auburn Posi
Complete 10bolt rebuild kit.

Now a few other things im concerned about. Over the last few months i have noticed a drop in oil psi from about 50-55psi to about 20 psi when i reach about 4k rmps at WOT, but then it jumps right back up. I just replaced the the oil pressure sensor a few weeks back. after it switched the sensor out it no longer dropped, but now it is again. Anyone ever hear of the sensors being faulty in that short of a time period? I dont think it could be anything with the rod bearings since they are so low milage. The build sheet does show that they polished the crank. So before the built the car may have spun i bearing but im not sure. They did install a new oil pump, pick up, and pump drive. They also state that they put in a "police roller cam" which i find being total bs because i have never heard of that.

So all in all with should i get full roller rocker and with the 306 will i hurt my car with the drop in pressure...that is if its not just the inaccurate gauges we have in out cars. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 09-23-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

the only issue I see with roller tip rockers, is that the slot may bind and the higher lift of the 306. Cop roller cam? AH HAHAHA!!! uh huh... I agree with the bs flag.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a 94 why would you want to go with a 95+ Opti? With the cost of the parts required to swap to a newer Opti, the fact that the 93-94 Opti's work just fine, I see no reason to change it.

If your really looking to go fast cam only, I would look into a custom grind. Not that the car will not run hard with the 306 cam, but you might find a few more hp with a different cam.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well im doing the swap so i can run a cloyes double roller and electric water pump...plus i didnt pay much for the swap parts. i have a hook up with GM. Yeah i was looking into getting something similar to the 306 and not the gm847 but i didnt find much. i open to all suggestions
Old 09-23-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

doesn't the double roller cause issues with the knock sensors? or am I thinking of another type?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm...i dont think so, but im not positive. I havent heard the guys that are running double rollers say anything like that. I really didnt want to go with anything else incase i have to spin it past 6500...which i still dont like the sound of
Old 09-28-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

anymore input guys?

Quick Reply: Some questions before my build