LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking about a custom grind

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about a custom grind

Right now i have a CC306 thats waiting to be instaled but alot of guys have been saying to go with something newer like a custom or XFI grind. Well i just called thunder racing about a custom grind and the guy was a total jack ***. I go no help what so ever from him. so basically i want something close to the the 306 but maybe a little more streetable. any ideas?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call and speak w/ Jim at Speed Inc.. he's great w/ the LTx stuff.. see what he can come up w/...
Old 09-26-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

I bet the 306 on a slighty tigher LSA, with a bit less intake duration would make for one nice cam. Some say the XFI grinds are where it's all at, but I don't see how. when comparing LT1 heads to TBI heads, the intake is where the biggest improvement is. The exhuast flow didn't seam to change a bunch. also, vs L98 heads, IIRC, the exhuast and intake were about the same amount each behind the LT1 heads. Don't guys like Bret buer, and AI, spec the custom cams with a crutch still on the exhuast side? but maybe we need to compare them to heads off the carb 350's. A custom cam doesn't have the compromise(the wider LSA?) built in, like alot of shelf grinds do. so they don't just pick #'s outta the sky, but rather where the valve events need to happen for best power. I'm not gonna try to say I'm an expert, but I feel there is alot of potental in the custom cam, to really wring the motor out, and keep it streetable, without over durationing it, and then Spreading the LSA to tame it.

Anybody else feel this way? Or am I outta my league?
Old 09-27-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can also have comp make you a custom grind to your exact specs. Just check out there site or call there number on the site its on a link around here.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
I bet the 306 on a slighty tigher LSA, with a bit less intake duration would make for one nice cam. Some say the XFI grinds are where it's all at, but I don't see how. when comparing LT1 heads to TBI heads, the intake is where the biggest improvement is. The exhuast flow didn't seam to change a bunch. also, vs L98 heads, IIRC, the exhuast and intake were about the same amount each behind the LT1 heads. Don't guys like Bret buer, and AI, spec the custom cams with a crutch still on the exhuast side? but maybe we need to compare them to heads off the carb 350's. A custom cam doesn't have the compromise(the wider LSA?) built in, like alot of shelf grinds do. so they don't just pick #'s outta the sky, but rather where the valve events need to happen for best power. I'm not gonna try to say I'm an expert, but I feel there is alot of potental in the custom cam, to really wring the motor out, and keep it streetable, without over durationing it, and then Spreading the LSA to tame it.

Anybody else feel this way? Or am I outta my league?
Your getting closer that's for sure ;-) As to what, no comment!

Bret
Old 09-27-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

so would you guys say just stick with what i got?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Getting closer... ahh, makes me feel better.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
so would you guys say just stick with what i got?
nope.

If I was at the point of a heads package, I would be looking into software to place valve events, and what not, and see how much overlap you need. But I'm not. I'm still researching cams and trying to understand them fully. If the car I bought didn't have a cam already, I'd have left it stock cam till the heads came off for my porting... good thing I got a back up set for when I *** 'em up.

Talk with a few LT1 shops, see what they have to say.

Last edited by MrCadillac; 09-27-2006 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a custom grind