LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Vibrations after new trans mount installation!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vibrations after new trans mount installation!

I just put a Energy Suspension poly trans mount on my car and now I have some vibrations.I think it may be the motor mounts,or could it just be the more soild mount not absoring the engine vibrations. What do you guys think?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The poly trans mount will increase vibrations and turn the console into a speaker.

Dean
Old 09-26-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

plus 1 for the same reply
Old 09-26-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Are they small vibrations, are really rough vibrations?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

They just make the console rattle because the mount is no longer absorbing drivetrain vibrations like it use to when it was soft rubber.

I would only use one if I had a problem with the stock mount failing.

Poly engine and trans mounts together are too much for some people.

Dean
Old 09-26-2006, 09:51 PM
JUICED96Z

Anything other then the original mount= vibration
Old 09-26-2006, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

I have one in mine the energy suspensions one, and i noticed no diffrence in vibrations. I do have an M6 tho so that probibly makes a whole bunch f diffrence, Also did you put that plate on with the mount (not suposed to) and did you grind away the two bumps before installing? That could be your problem because if you didnt that is going to change you pinion angle. The only way i have seen to get away with installing the plate is having an adj torque arm so you can reset the pinion angle. I have one and just havent got around to putting the plate back in, and readjusting.

This thread is a good resourse:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ly+trans+mount
Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes I have read that if you have nastly vibrations in 3rd gear (1:1) then your pinion angle is probably off. This is because your whole driveline is turning at the same speed.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I have the energy suspension poly mount as well, and used that plate, and did not grind the little ***** off, and experance no unpleasent vibrations that I've noticed. Should I un install it and grind those things away?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

I would check pinoin angle before takeing it all back apart, just to know were you stand. you can get and angle meter or what ever its called at lowes or home dept.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The energy suspension mount bushing, when installed properly with the back-plate, is taller than stock by exactly the thickness of the back-plate. This causes misalignment and vibration from the u-joints. Since you cant run the ES mount without the plate, you need to shim the crossmember down. I just got four washers as close to the thickness of the plate as possible and installed them between the cross-member and the floor. No more vibrations!!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

if he's got a stock torque arm pinion angle should change.

did you undo the drive shaft? if so try taking it back out and spin it a half turn and put it back on.

but like everyone else say, its probably just the mount.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
if he's got a stock torque arm pinion angle should change.

did you undo the drive shaft? if so try taking it back out and spin it a half turn and put it back on.

but like everyone else say, its probably just the mount.

What would spinning it do??? Does this rebalance it?? LMK Thanks..
Old 11-20-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NITROUSLS1
What would spinning it do??? Does this rebalance it?? LMK Thanks..
No, and fwiw Ive never had driveshaft orientation cause or fix a vibration. Driveshafts are zero balanced, and they are not balanced on a car or attached to rear end/transmission for that matter. So when they initially install a driveshaft from the factory they dont care about its clocking because it doesnt matter.
Go to energy suspensions website and dig around for info on that mount. They will say that they do not make one for 93-02 F-bodys. And that there plain GM mount (the one you probably got) "Will work with minor crossmember modification."
Its too tall by 1/8". This throws both front and rear u-joint angles into and condition where they slightly bind and cause vibration.

Lowering the crossmember 1/8" will completely correct this condition and make the vibration stop. With the exception of the additional engine vibrations you'll feel due to the harder bushing material
Old 11-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fire67
No, and fwiw Ive never had driveshaft orientation cause or fix a vibration. Driveshafts are zero balanced, and they are not balanced on a car or attached to rear end/transmission for that matter. So when they initially install a driveshaft from the factory they dont care about its clocking because it doesnt matter.
Go to energy suspensions website and dig around for info on that mount. They will say that they do not make one for 93-02 F-bodys. And that there plain GM mount (the one you probably got) "Will work with minor crossmember modification."
Its too tall by 1/8". This throws both front and rear u-joint angles into and condition where they slightly bind and cause vibration.

Lowering the crossmember 1/8" will completely correct this condition and make the vibration stop. With the exception of the additional engine vibrations you'll feel due to the harder bushing material
very helpful! thank you
Old 11-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Ok, sounds good...
Old 11-20-2006, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fire67
The energy suspension mount bushing, when installed properly with the back-plate, is taller than stock by exactly the thickness of the back-plate. This causes misalignment and vibration from the u-joints.
^^^ What he said. I had the same problem and changed it out to the LS1 style tranny mount and couldn't be happier. The LS1 style mount also has the interlocking design in case it breaks again, it won't sound like the tranny is coming out (at least mine did when the factory mount busted).
Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

I was told by the guy who built my tranny, to not use the metal plate that is supplied with the mount cause it will offset the pinion angle and will cause horrible vibration. So when I put the mount in, I didn't put the plate in and I dont have any vibration at all

Quick Reply: Vibrations after new trans mount installation!