LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what can i do to get more punch off the line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by forsale2
1) find a huge cliff
2) push it off
3) watch how fast it accelerate
4) ?
Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Sell it.
I am sorry but I dont see how this is productive.

The bottom line is sacrifices must be made to increase performance. It appears that you are seriously tying your hands and limiting you options to things that don't have any major and noticeable results.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm1234
daily driver and i like my gas mileage. all those weight reduction methods stated above sound good and i'll most likely end up doing them. thanks!
I have 4.10s in my daily. With an M6 i'm at 2k RPM in 6th. No problem with gas mileage as long as you're not getting on it everywhere in town
Old 10-02-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I am sorry but I dont see how this is productive.

The bottom line is sacrifices must be made to increase performance. It appears that you are seriously tying your hands and limiting you options to things that don't have any major and noticeable results.
This thread is not productive. He wants his cake and wants to eat it too. He wants more but doesnt want to do anything to get it so it makes it hard for anyoneone here to produce a productive answer. Think about my last post. He can buy a car that would give him what he wants and will meet all his requirements above. He wont get that from what he has. My post still stands.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrd1972
It appears that you are seriously tying your hands and limiting you options to things that don't have any major and noticeable results.
that's just it lol. i didn't say i wanted anything major. all i'm asking is for a little extra kick. there are PLENTY of other things in which i can do that i didn't restrict. i was just wondering what would hold the best advantages with the limitations i've listed. all of the weight reduction suggestions were helpful and will be taken into consideration. everyone here is either listing extremes, or posting irrelevant replies. i know there are plenty of B-Bodies out there who are running quick times, strictly because of decreasing their weight, and simple mods like i've already done. if i can do the same, i'll be right up-to-par with the corvettes.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
This thread is not productive. He wants his cake and wants to eat it too. He wants more but doesnt want to do anything to get it so it makes it hard for anyoneone here to produce a productive answer. Think about my last post. He can buy a car that would give him what he wants and will meet all his requirements above. He wont get that from what he has. My post still stands.
sorry Hunter. your post aren't helping anyone and yes there are numerous ways in meeting my requirements. a few people have given advice and it's greatly appreciated, even to those who are questioning my reasoning, in a respectful manner. you, on the other hand, are degrading this thread and are instigating disputes. if you're not going to help, then please move on to another post. thank you.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

play with this. http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Tech...alculators.asp I don't see how with a .50 double OD, you can't pull the kinda milage you want. I ask you this, how offten do you use 6th gear? and when you do, what rpm do you see.

Back to what you want to hear. You need to think about what you don't need. Like washer resavior tank, a smaller spare, and speakers you can live without, lighter seats? Outside mirrors, a lighter rim package, all the little stuff will add up... power accy's, AC, the list can go on. you really need to chose what your whilling to lose.

You can open the doors up and pull any dynomat type stuff out, and fat chicks(had to throw that in), and have YOU considered losing weight?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sdm1234
sorry Hunter. your post aren't helping anyone and yes there are numerous ways in meeting my requirements. a few people have given advice and it's greatly appreciated, even to those who are questioning my reasoning, in a respectful manner. you, on the other hand, are degrading this thread and are instigating disputes. if you're not going to help, then please move on to another post. thank you.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings but you have to take the good with the bad when youre asking for opinions. You reffer to the impalla guys and make it seem like they have it easy when they dont. The things you dont want to do are the things theyre doing to go fast. It's two different cars anyway. Either way, I hope youre able to find a solution and achieve your goals.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
no power windows, no power locks
power windows/locks dont weigh more then manaul if it does its nothing that would be worth converting or deleting them if you never wanted to put your windows down again, or had some drag car with nets for windows
Old 10-03-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Regular

yea, those light impalas are GUTTED.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe if you took out all the "mods" like lightbulbs and vinyls that would lose a few pounds. lol
Old 10-03-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZFan88
I have 4.10s in my daily. With an M6 i'm at 2k RPM in 6th. No problem with gas mileage as long as you're not getting on it everywhere in town
at what speed?

gears are on my list of things to do on my car, and its a daily driver. they're a nice mod that you see differences almost immediately. I've driven a few, the difference is night and day. And the tach wasn't high in 6th either. That .5 O/D kicks ***. just my $0.02

Last edited by Ironxcross; 10-03-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZFan88
I can also vouch for that. Big difference, with the ability to utilize 6 gear more often. about 2k RPM in 6th at about 75 mph.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

really! well damn. Plus 4.10s help your around-town mileage too, don't they?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

In top gear at 75mph, rounded, and with converter locked. 26" tires.

4L60E's .7 OD: 3.90: 2600rpm. 3.55: 2400rpm. 3.23's: 2200rpm. 2.93's: 2000rpm. 2.73's: 1850rpm. 2.45's: 1650rpm. 2.45's are fake.

T56's .5 OD: 4.56's: 2200rpms 4.10's: 2000rpms 3.42's: 1650rpm

on the other side, starting gear:

4L60E's 3.06 first: 2.73's: 8.35 / 2.93's: 8.97 / 3.23's: 9.88 / 3.55's: 10.86 / 3.90's: 11.93

T56's 2.65 first: 3.42's: 9.06 / 4.10's: 10.87 / 4.56's: 12.08 !!

My cadillac had 2.93's, and I can say that starting gear was nothing to be proud of. on the other hand, the cruising rpm was great. you see my point? I'm just tring to open your eyes to the fact that you can still get great milage, while having a better starting gear. My 4500lbs cadillac got 25 mpg at 75mph, which was about 2000 rpms. you could easy get that with your stick in a much lighter car. I'm only attempting to enlighten you. if you don't wanna see, thats ok. maybe somebody else will.

Last edited by MrCadillac; 10-03-2006 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
at what speed?
Haha, forgot to put the speed. I'm right under 80 there. But I don't know why you'd buy one of these cars if gas mileage was a concern. You'll save more by not flooring it once or twice then going to gears. If you did floor it next to me with the same mods, my car would be quicker because of them though
Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Punch off the line is going to come from gears.
Yes, taking the weight out of the car will make it accelerate faster but you will not 'feel' this.
Weight reduction is a good idea no matter what. Go with a K-member, A-Arms. Then start looking at some good LCAs, the poly's should not create any harsh rides and feel like stock.
I am not a fan of SFCs, they add weight but for a street car you might like them.

There is a ton of stuff that can be done but with your limiting factors it is going to be tough.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
I ask you this, how offten do you use 6th gear? and when you do, what rpm do you see.

Back to what you want to hear. You need to think about what you don't need. Like washer resavior tank, a smaller spare, and speakers you can live without, lighter seats? Outside mirrors, a lighter rim package, all the little stuff will add up... power accy's, AC, the list can go on. you really need to chose what your whilling to lose.

You can open the doors up and pull any dynomat type stuff out, and fat chicks(had to throw that in), and have YOU considered losing weight?
i use 6th quite often (generally anything over 50mph). i've gotten up to 29 mpg highway, but i don't want to get off-topic. i didn't think about some of the suggestions you listed, and depending on how busy my schedule is during the winter months, i very well may go ahead and do some of those things. i appreciate the help, thus far!

i know this thread sounds unusual, but if i can acheive doing just a few other little things here and there, the advantages will be somewhat significant!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Punch off the line is going to come from gears.
Yes, taking the weight out of the car will make it accelerate faster but you will not 'feel' this.
Weight reduction is a good idea no matter what. Go with a K-member, A-Arms. Then start looking at some good LCAs, the poly's should not create any harsh rides and feel like stock.
I am not a fan of SFCs, they add weight but for a street car you might like them.

There is a ton of stuff that can be done but with your limiting factors it is going to be tough.
i understand it may be tough, but thank you for your suggestions! i'll take them into consideration!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

I suggest a shot of nitrous. You don't have to run anything serious. Maybe a 50 shot? That would be ample for a pull off the line. Also you might want to get into a bigger gear. Possibly a 3.73 gear. YOu could go witha 4.10 but from what I hear within my club is that a 4.10 is a little to much. But yeah a LS1 aluminum driveshaft, aluminum flywheel, 3.73 gear and a 50 shot and you'd notice a big difference. Your probably looking at around $1,500-1,600 or so.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

don't stop there. Keep thinking. I know on impalas a tubular crossmember losses a lot of weight. I would really consider a fiberglass (small) cowl hood, removing carpet and panels from the trunk, and if the look bugs ya, tint the rear real dark. Any single thing you can spare will add up. if you have more than one horn, leave just one. my cadillac had 4. Or if you feel no need for a horn. anyways, here's a quote i like.

"striping your car for weight, is like burning your house for heat." ~ Stoney, ISSF.