LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Patriot Gold spring kit TI retainers and Crane roller rockers don't get along

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Patriot Gold spring kit TI retainers and Crane roller rockers don't get along

Hmmm.

Well, looks like I'll need to at least go with lash caps in order to use the Patriot Performance Gold dual spring kit with my setup.

The supplied locks and retainers (at least with my Manley valves - MAN-11522-8 and MAN-11521-8) give a valve tip height that doesn't get along with my Crane roller rockers. (CRN-10758-16 - full roller, self-aligning, narrowbody)

In fact, even at zero lash, the rocker body touches the retainer.

Don't know yet if the issue is the valve tip length (.250) of the Manley valves compared to stock valves (???), or just that the tips have been cut at least once before. Could also be the way the Patriot retainers and locks sit on the valve.

Looks like I had the same issue before with the LT4 valvesprings, so I'm leaning towards the tip length isn't quite enough.

For those who told me "You gotta go with the 918 springs" - maybe so. I'll get this resolved and post the solution, so those who do want to run a similar setup can. Patriot Gold dual springs, Crane roller rockers, and Manley valves on an LT1 with an XFI cam... I'll get it solved.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:56 AM
TECH Regular

The problem is with the valve tip not being as long as the LT1 valves. I faced this problem in my Impala with the GMPP 1.6 rockers, crane spring kit and FM valves. I resolved it by using a -0.05" locks to lower the retainer. Using the the beehive spring with the same valves wont solve the problem. Or you can go with NSA rockers.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

ssslah is right... The Manleys have a tip length of .250 when new. Using -.050 locks did the trick, but I should point out that unless you'll be machining the spring seat for extra installed height, using these locks with the Patriot springs gives a seat pressure of around 170 ponds, and depending on lift, 320 (at .580) open.

Remains to be seen whether this will be too much pressure.

On the up side, if lifters and rockers handle this pressure ok, I think valve float will no longer be an issue....

Quick Reply: Patriot Gold spring kit TI retainers and Crane roller rockers don't get along