LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger

I really want to get a supercharger thinking about getting the powerdyne 4.5psi one because I cant get 3500 for a vortec.... well anways are they any good and can't you change the pullies so you can run 9psi?
Old 10-18-2006, 02:31 AM
Staging Lane

buy my Vortech for $2000 and have a lot nicer supercharger that can peg a boost gauge out and make your body leave an indention in your seat

And my Vortech sounds better
Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

if I had the 2 grand now I would how long do you want to keep it or are you willing to trade for a turbo???
Old 10-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

I already took it off my car. My plan was to sell it on eBay, but if I found someone before having to do that I would love to do it, listing stuff on there is a pain

Lemme give you the details, it's a V-1 S-trim, very loud blower, I might have a short clip of it idling somewhere...it sounds wicked. It pulled real hard too with the stock pulleys which are rated at 6psi. It comes with all the brackets, belt, crank and blower pulley, intake tube, K&N air filter, discharge tube, bypass valve, oil pressure line and return line, etc. I think that's everything, it's a complete kit though, that's for sure. I have converted it to a blow through MAF, which just means the MAF goes on the pressure side instead of the suck side. It makes it a lot easier this way, you don't have to lengthen your MAF wires and you can also use a BOV if you want instead of the stock bypass valve

The elbow has been drilled and tapped for a nitrous nozzle though, so I would need to put a plug in it for you if you aren't going to spray with a NOS fogger nozzle.

Edit: I can't trade for a turbo right now, I am going to sell my WS6 and go with a much milder LS1 car
Old 10-18-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stay away from the Powerdyne, among many complaints Ive heard (and made!) about them... They have shitty bearings, low quality castings, and are driven by an expensive kevlar belt that resides inside the case. Thus requiring expensive labor to change out using special tools on a press.
In most cases the belt breaks due to the bearings going bad and either seizing up, or allowing the impeller to walk outward into the comp housing.

Your best bet being on a budget is to buy a used Vortech or my personal favorite a Procharger. For F-body's the Vortech kits are cheaper new, so they'd probably be cheaper used as well. I just dont much care for their air-water intercooler for the street. Especially because of its location making it vulnerable to heat-soak.
I paid 3000 for a 500mile old Procharger D1-sc kit with 12-rib belt upgrade and twin intercoolers. Still rocking that head unit today. If it ever goes out on me, I'll upgrade.

Quick Reply: supercharger