LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Runs like cr@p - why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs like cr@p - why?

Back in August I was driving home in 95 degree heat and blew a heater hose right at the water pump near the throttle body. I got it around the corner (safety - car is worth much more than the stupid LT1) and shut off before the temp went above 240. I patched up the hose, filled it up with coolant and water, and drove it home. About halfway home it started to sputter and spew black smoke.

Now when it starts it runs, but gets progressively worse (rough, stumbles) as the engine warms up. It is blowing dark smoke which is better than white considering the car almost overheated in a bad way. Since coolant spewed everywhere, could this be an Opti issue or maybe the idle control valve?

I took it for a drive, and managed to get it to open up and run like a bat out of hell until I lifted the throttle and then it went back to the crappy state it was in before.

Please help. I really would like to keep this motor until I can get the chassis "done" and switch to an LS/T56 combo. Thanks. -eric
Old 10-19-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

Well, does sound opti-ish, but I'm having the same problems, and my wire's getting burnt, so take a look at those, even ones that aren't contacting headers, they seem to even burn from a distance.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:13 AM
Launching!

check all of your conectors, plug wires, and plugs before spending the money for the opti. If you want Advance auto can check the ICM and the coil of free. If it comes down to needing a new opti i bought a new Accel unit not long ago and so far it's been working nicely.

was it hard swaping the LT1 into your camaro? We're loking at droping one into our 68 RS vert.

Anthony
Old 10-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Piece of cake. Same mounts as a Gen I SBC. Weld in some bungs for the O2 sensors in the headers, use a Painless harness that makes the VATS disable easier, and then the fuel system is all that's left. I went with an external Kinsler pump with pre and post pump filters. You will need to plumb a return to the tank though, but the best way would be to buy a new tank and retrofit an internal pump or just buy one prebuilt from Ricks or DSE.

Here is a photo of what it looks like. -e
Attached Thumbnails Runs like cr@p - why?-lt1.jpg  
Old 10-19-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Is that your wires running on top of your headers, or am I seeing something wrong?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Teching In

They look like they are on the headers in that pic but they really aren't. Some creative zip-tie work keeps them well away from them. Probably could be done a little bit cleaner but it works. Trailer queen she ain't.

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

yea, dont put down the LT1 so much, its not a bad motor
Old 10-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Teching In

That's actually pretty damn funny.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by knight17Z
check all of your conectors, plug wires, and plugs before spending the money for the opti. If you want Advance auto can check the ICM and the coil of free. If it comes down to needing a new opti i bought a new Accel unit not long ago and so far it's been working nicely.

was it hard swaping the LT1 into your camaro? We're loking at droping one into our 68 RS vert.

Anthony
Like Eric said, it isn't that bad. I have one in my 68. I will try and answer any questions you might have also. The fuel system is the hardest part to plan (depends on how much you want to spend). I also used a Painless harness and it is truly plug and play.

Quick Reply: Runs like cr@p - why?