LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LM I vs LM 2 on LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LM I vs LM 2 on LT1

I guess this is the right place for the question since I didn't see an "Exhaust" forum anywhere. So, anyway.....

I am looking for a cat-back for my 97 TA. I'd like to keep look of the dual tips on each side and want to stay away from a single pipe on each side. So, I am looking for one that has the dual-dual tips. I like the Corsa and Borlas, but they are really pricey. I don't like the sound of the Hooker system that well and I question the long-term quality - I know a guy that blew the internals out of one (pushing insane HP, but nonetheless). The SLP dual/dual is almost too quiet and hard to find, and the LM is too loud....especially once you are running long-tube headers, which I intend to eventually.

However, has anyone here tried a LM 2 on an LT1? The LM 2 is supposed to be less aggressive and "poppy" compared to the LM 1. I haven't heard one and haven't been able to find a sound clip of one on an LT1. If its somewhere between the SLPs dual/dual and the LM, it may be what I am looking for. Not to mention the price is pretty nice compared to most cat-backs.

Anyone here with any experience with the LM 2 have anything they'd like to say about it? Or if anyone knows where I can find a sound clip of one I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

only heard it on one ls1...it sounds a little less poppy and almost like a bullet at idle. when it revs it sounds like a good ole loudmouth 1.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard it on an LT1, was still loud and no tone at all, didnt like it at all. If I were you i would take a LM1 and put a sweet thunder in place of the "resonator" and then maybe add another sweet thunder somewhere along the pipes, kind of like the stainless works system
Old 10-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Launching!

My brother has a LM2 on his 97 TA. He had the LM1 first, but he didn't like the popping so he cut off the LM1 resonator and replaced it with the LM2 resonator. It sounds pretty good, sounds even better at WOT, it also doesn't pop anymore. After 2 yrs I think that he's getting pretty tired of it though. Driving 70 down the hwy with it has this tone that just gets kind of annoying. I have had hooker exhaust on my car now for a while and even though I'm not pushing "insane hp" I still think it sounds pretty good. Kind of quiet, but I just open my cutout when I want it to be loud.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I am glad you told me about the annoying resonation at interstate speeds, Huntr1117. That is one thing I was trying to avoid. One day I intend to get long tubes. I rode in a guy's LS1 car with long tubes, ORY, and a LM 1. The resonation was so loud at interstate speeds, we couldn't even have a conversation sitting right next to each other! However, it sounded wicked-cool at WOT from outside the car....almost like open headers. However, he too sold the LM because the noise level from the resonation at cruising speeds was unbearable after a while. I don't want to drop $300-400 on a new cat-back system and hate it.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Really like my Magnaflow. It sounds deep and very loud at WOT. And I payed like 330 for the STAINLESS STEEL system, and it doesent rust but i dont drive it in the rain,snow,etc...
Old 10-23-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the LM1 and it was very "poppy" when i revved it up. but once i got the PCM tuned, there is no more "pop".
Old 10-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

LM1 w/ Mids sounds dandy...i still have my cat too
Old 10-23-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

i was thinking on going to LM2, but im gonna go hooker... are they deep when cruising compared to flowmasters?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls1Bait
Really like my Magnaflow. It sounds deep and very loud at WOT. And I payed like 330 for the STAINLESS STEEL system, and it doesent rust but i dont drive it in the rain,snow,etc...
I like the sound the the Magnaflow too, but I don't think it comes with an option of a dual/dual style tips. Of course, I am sure I can get some nice dual tips for it, but would just be that much more money to dump into a new cat-back system.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Teching In

I'm getting close to buying a cat-back. anyone else have any other opinions or have additional feedback? I'll even open it up to all systems, regardless of cost.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

330 for a magnaflow?
Where from? I see Summit has it for 380.......

As soon as I get my tax rebate in, I think its gonna be a magnaflow and shocks
Old 04-18-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

LM on ls1's sound very different than on lt1's. ls1's are more raspy whereas the lt1 is deep toned. Your going to get rasp or "popping" without cats on either car. I have LT's-cats-LM and their is no popping at all.

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
i was thinking on going to LM2, but im gonna go hooker... are they deep when cruising compared to flowmasters?
Flowmaster has a lot more drone in the car than hooker. Loud overall actually. A long time ago I had a flowmaster muffler on stock piping all the way back, and it was louder than my old setup of LT's-no cats-hooker.

Quick Reply: LM I vs LM 2 on LT1