LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti Dying???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti Dying???

So just wondering what is a real good sign that the Opti is dying besides the fact it just wont work??? I'm getting really close to lighting my Firehawk on fire and claiming insurance on the damn thing if i can't figure this out!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

you'll stall at intersections or under strong loads. there is no such thing as a "somewhat dead" opti. either a point does or doesn't have connectivity. you'll know if it's dead. otherwise, there's no problem with the optispark.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Teching In

what do you mean stall? like straight up die or it just doesn't have any power? and will it cut in and out? would back firing be a good indicator?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

actually there is a failing opti. Before mine went out, it would sputter at anything above 3500rpms and progressively got worse till it would do it at anything about 2500. Than it will just sputter and not let the motor run.

What exactly are your symptoms? Does it run at all or not?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Teching In

yeah it runs, but if you go to rev it up under about 2000 it spits and sputters like no other and then revs up... driving it idles real rough sitting it gear(auto) and then when you start to drive it runs like **** under about 3000 and then from there up it can either run hard or run like ***... i have ckecked all 8 plug wires about 6 times now and have replaced them once and ran them away from the headers.... its kind of hit or miss sometimes, it will run hard sometimes and others it wont... i have been trying to clear things off the list of things it could be... and i keep coming back to the opti shooting *****... i did however find out my fuel rail was leaking and got that fixed...
Old 10-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd double check the wires and didja check fuel pressure, plugs,....could be your opti taking a **** though.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Try the coil and ICM as well
Old 10-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Teching In

i did new plugs and wires w/ the headers about maybe 800 miles ago... mainly because i burned the old wires that weren't that old because i didn't run the wires right... i was going to put in a new coil with the new opti if i do it... i was looking at going with the MSD pro billet... and a new msd coil... and a new set of msd 8.5 wires... though i am open to suggestions if there is a better one for less money... ok here is a better question, what did yours do when your opti died?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JustaStockHawk
i did new plugs and wires w/ the headers about maybe 800 miles ago... mainly because i burned the old wires that weren't that old because i didn't run the wires right... i was going to put in a new coil with the new opti if i do it... i was looking at going with the MSD pro billet... and a new msd coil... and a new set of msd 8.5 wires... though i am open to suggestions if there is a better one for less money... ok here is a better question, what did yours do when your opti died?
I've been having major problems with opti's ever since I put a new motor in 27,000 miles ago. I'm on my third opti and the last one was only three weeks ago. My car backfires and runs real rough at idle and it feels like it's not running on all cylinders or like a loaded carbed car would run. I'm hoping that I just figured why it keeps eating opti's. My theory is that the cam shaft dowl pin is too long and is pretruding into the opti, causing it break up inside. If I take a long screw driver and set it on the opti and put my ear on the other end, I can hear grinding, just like the 3 previous times. The sound gets much lower if I touch the block or waterpump. OEM dowl spec is .650 and a new cam like COMP comes with a dowl of .840. I'm betting when my motor was put together, this important fact was over looked. I'm going to try and get my opti off tonight, and I'll see if I'm right.

If you have an after market cam, this could be your problem. If not, it still soundas like the opti to me and the dowl length wouldn't be an issue. Make sure you check ALL other possibilities FIRST. Coil, plugs and wires arn't crossed or are not pushed all the way on. Did your hear a click at each plug when you installed the new wires? Is your plug gap correct?

I'm running the OTVC Taylor plug wires. It comes as a kit with everything you need from Thunder Racing.

Good Luck.
I feel your pain.

Last edited by mack; 10-26-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Teching In

man that sounds exactly like what mine is doing it just back fires alot and it seems to kinda load up sometimes and then just unload and take off... has it ran like that every time the opti has died and then when you put the new one on it got better? im still on the stock cam, but i hope to up grade in the future so that is good to know! thanks for the help!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

man that sounds exactly like what mine is doing it just back fires alot and it seems to kinda load up sometimes and then just unload and take off... has it ran like that every time the opti has died and then when you put the new one on it got better? im still on the stock cam, but i hope to up grade in the future so that is good to know! thanks for the help!
I've had the same symtoms everytime and it was the coil the first time, since then, 3 opti's. Fourth get's installed tommorow hopefully.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Teching In

so im guessing it gets better for a while and then takes a **** again?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive been trying to figure out my problem too when the car is really cold like when you let it sit for a few hours and then i start it and start driving right away it will go right up to 6,000 no problem but after driving around for a little and it warms up it will start missing 4500 then sometimes 3 and if i drive around lot then it wont let me go past 2500 rpms its pissing me off and its freaken annoying so what do you guys think it is? opti spark? or soemthing else
Old 10-30-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

yeah it runs, but if you go to rev it up under about 2000 it spits and sputters like no other and then revs up... driving it idles real rough sitting it gear(auto) and then when you start to drive it runs like **** under about 3000 and then from there up it can either run hard or run like ***... i have ckecked all 8 plug wires about 6 times now and have replaced them once and ran them away from the headers.... its kind of hit or miss sometimes, it will run hard sometimes and others it wont... i have been trying to clear things off the list of things it could be... and i keep coming back to the opti shooting *****... i did however find out my fuel rail was leaking and got that fixed...

thats the same as my car....

Quick Reply: Opti Dying???