LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 running bad from 3000RPM and up? Backfiring.Stumbling No power

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if ur doing opti,plugs,wires, and lower intake gaskets like me u need to take a **** to of stuff off to do the job but for ur little evrnt u don't have to take anything off at all!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:58 AM
Teching In

Hey man my car is doing something similar to what urs is doing but im just hoping that when the rotar flu off and hit the cap it some how fauled the plugs out. Because i put i just put a brand new cap and rotor on.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know how it turns out. Everyone has got to put their heads together to help us out.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

I am still having a hard time trying to figure out whats going on.....
Old 11-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jdubb168984
I have a new Opti Distributor, New plugs and Wires, MAF,Rebuilt 355, New Coil , And Fuel Pump Walbro 255 WTF! It's kicking my ***. My idle is also up about 250 rpms and my car is in and out of Open and Closed loop mode.
Looks like you are getting frustrated so I will hazard a couple of guesses..

My first thought was OPTI. I know you just changed it but it happens.. is there anyway you got it wet when you filled up the coolant for the initial startup. Keep this in mind and I will also give you another place to look..

Your injectors... when you built up the engine did you just take out the old 24# and install the 32# without doing any kind of tuning? The reason I ask is sure, in closed loop the 02 sensors will modify the pulse width to get the mixture back close to 14.2... but the car runs in open loop during many kinds of operation and the computer reads the tables in the ECM that are programmed based on the factory injector size...

So if you have not reprogrammed the ECM for 32# injectors, or do not have the ability to do so... then just for fun swap back in the original injectors and see if the car runs better...

It is a whole heck of a lot easier than pulling the OPTI back out and if you do replace the injectors and it doesn't improve your engine.. just leave them in anyway until you sort through the problem..

sort of like backtracking I do not know what you did,,, but you do.

regards and good luck
Old 11-09-2006, 09:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So should I just buy a new set of wires and try changing the wire from the coil to the opti. Should I change the coil too? I dont want to mess with the rest of the plugs and wires if I dont have to. I want to see if this will work for now since I plan on headers next summer sometime. How much time am I looking at to change the one wire and maybe a coil? The wire sounds easy since I dont have to take anything off the car, but what about the coil? Also, can I just get some cheap wires for now and a coil at any autoparts store? I want to try to do this sometime this weekend so any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

I have had the computer professionally tunned and reflashed for my injectors. I was told if my computer is stuck in open loop mode them the pcm could be bad.... most likley.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Does the idle screw on the throttlebody have any affect on your computer. Cause if it does then i have found the problem. My idle with the tune was a little to high for me 1050 rpms and I set it back a little bit on the throttle body. I guess this made things worse or better?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

BAD OPTI DEFINATLY,,,oh boy's right gotta go name brand on this one if nothing else!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

I have a brand new optispark from summit on there. Just put it on and it's still doing the ame thing. My car is stuck in open loop mode. How do we fix this with no check engine lights on..?

Quick Reply: LT1 running bad from 3000RPM and up? Backfiring.Stumbling No power