LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 stroker only put down........320 rwhp & 369 rwt why??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all who built the motor? a REPUTABLE shop or cletus at the corner gas station? has the car been tuned? If so who did it and are they reputable? if not get a good tune they are expensive but absolutely essential.....
Old 11-02-2006, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

all that i know is, i would be pissed! either put a blower on it or up the compression. remember to much compression wont allow you to run on pump gas, and this guy saying he wants to put 11.5:1 compression pistons in, is on the verge of not allowing you to do so. id say if you want more, suck up your lose with the money and go to an engine builder that knows what the hell he/she is talking about. also if you want a good combination, www.eportworks.com. get his le3 package and new pistons and hold on!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

very well said slick1851, the compression and the way the engine is setup is for forced induction. either sc it raise the compression and get a cam matched to some well done heads.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
all that i know is, i would be pissed! either put a blower on it or up the compression. remember to much compression wont allow you to run on pump gas, and this guy saying he wants to put 11.5:1 compression pistons in, is on the verge of not allowing you to do so. id say if you want more, suck up your lose with the money and go to an engine builder that knows what the hell he/she is talking about. also if you want a good combination, www.eportworks.com. get his le3 package and new pistons and hold on!

he doesnt even have a time from the car!!! how could you be pissed over dyno numbers... I know I mentioned that I only dynoed 322 and 368, but did I mention that I run 7.3's on motor? DYNOS DONT MEAN ANYTHING... I am not saying the car will be fast... but dont base it off a freaking dyno and never take the time to race it. If it is behind and auto with a big stall and unlocked converter 320 aint that bad... in a 6 speed that would be closer to 370 at the wheels... wiht 9.5:1, and little cam and stock heads that aint to shabby.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to sound like an a$$, but you sound like you have more dollars than sense. I don't understand how when the discussion of what motor you wanted to build came up, there wasn't also an understanding of what goals, (and expectations from the builder), you had in mind. Did you not specify a target horsepower/torque goal when you talked to your builder? It kinda sounds like you didn't when you make statements like this:

Originally Posted by TondSS
they guy that built it made it that low to make it safe, so now he has to take the motor apart and put new pistons any suggestions....maybe we need new pistons and a nasty cam ...as for the valves i think there 2.02 and 1.60s or so i can call and ask....
If your engine builder is worth his salt, he'll already know what pistons and compression is "safe" to run based on the parameters you've specified. If you walk through his front door and just say, "Build me a 383" and leave it at that, that leaves wayyy too much open for interpretation on the builder's part. If you did tell him what your goals/expectations were and he failed to build an engine that met them, then I'm sorry, it's time to find a new builder. This hobby is way too expensive to let some hack of a shadetree mechanic have free reign with your bank account while he practices building an engine.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

heads as said have 2.05 and 1.6 valves...the car didnt do bad for what it is....im not looking for bashing. Again a supercharger will not be thrown on. so lets get off that subject.Look at my sig i have a turbo car my self i know about lower compresion = supercharger or turbo.... im no dumby when it comes to CAMS however. i dont know the lt1 that well....all i know is that lt1's dont respond well to mods no offence.... i had a nasty cam in my ls1 car before it was turbo and i can tell you i shnapped soooo many people off with it(not hondas and riceers im talking reputable cars in town and out of town).I should have said it better, i can tell you were not going bigger then a gm847...

I still have not gotten any solid suggestions about a cam. other then have a custom ground maid. By the way the car is a turd so yes we will worry about dyno numbers untill the car fells fast on the street.

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Not to sound like an a$$, but you sound like you have more dollars than sense. I don't understand how when the discussion of what motor you wanted to build came up, there wasn't also an understanding of what goals, (and expectations from the builder), you had in mind. Did you not specify a target horsepower/torque goal when you talked to your builder? It kinda sounds like you didn't when you make statements like this:

If your engine builder is worth his salt, he'll already know what pistons and compression is "safe" to run based on the parameters you've specified. If you walk through his front door and just say, "Build me a 383" and leave it at that, that leaves wayyy too much open for interpretation on the builder's part. If you did tell him what your goals/expectations were and he failed to build an engine that met them, then I'm sorry, it's time to find a new builder. This hobby is way too expensive to let some hack of a shadetree mechanic have free reign with your bank account while he practices building an engine.

yes there were goals....again the car did really good for what it is!!! show me another 383 lt1 with that compression that put 30 more hp then his car did!!?? The guy that built his car holds record's for small blocks so he thought he new what he was doing with the lt1..as said before lt1s do not respond as well as ls1 cars so im not used to that....there is no problem with the car other then its a turd.....that is do to compression ...as stated, were changing the pistons and new camm and it will put around 400 to the tires and be done with that...add a 125 shot call it a day.... maybe he will come close to my car...As for me having more dollars then since, is that why i have a 10 sec car let me know when your ready. just a friendly call out.

Last edited by TondSS; 11-02-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TondSS
As for me having more dollars then since, is that why i have a 10 sec car let me know when your ready. just a friendly call out.

well I aint the guy that said you have no sense... but your bashing the LT1 pretty hard there killa... where you located at I might take ya up on that friendly callout mine seems to respond pretty good to certain mods...

by the way... your LS1 car looks good
Old 11-02-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

A stock LT1 has 10:5 compression why would he think 9:5 is safe? Alot of guys run the hotcam on a stock bottom end wouldnt he think that would be small for a 383?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT1nitrouZ
by the way... your LS1 car looks good
i +1 that realllllly sexy *** pic
Old 11-02-2006, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, this thread is going south pretty quick.....

Your not going to get many cam recommendations because of the variables involved.

Ok here's the deal in a nutshell.....Compression, cam and heads...If your looking for 11.5 Compression with that 383. I would look for something in ABA"s 383 cam size. Mid 220ish/230's cam. This on a 107-110 lsa, Icl around 106 would keep your DCR up around 8.5-8.8 depending on ABDC of the intake lobe. This, with a verter of 4000 plus flash stall should work GOOD with any combo of LT1 head (small runner, small cross section) on your 383. Now for more rpm range (needing more gear a good stall) try something in the low 230's Intake duration/240ish exhaust. If your had bigger cross section on your head, say like mine you would want a little more cam in there to up the RPM where max hp is made. If 12 to 1 engine your going to need a good size 240ish intake duraion to bleed pressure off (again keeping the DCR down below 9 to 1 by using a latter closing ABDC). This also all depends on gearing/stall and weight of vehicle. Hope this helps your quest for......

Oh, yeah "ABA 383"
Ellis tried the new intake out last week. Made way to much power on a cold day and spun to a 1.7 sixty (instead of low 1.5's). Then he had to back out of it twice before the 1/8 mile due to lack of traction...Still ran a 11.7 though.....I think it's on track to run a 11.1 (full weight) this spring....

Last edited by jimbob; 11-02-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Launching!

IMO there were 2 mistakes in putting it together, your cam selection in ratio to the added cubes is less than a factory spec cam. And the compression ratio at 9.5 to 1 is pretty much unheard of. I would question any builder that would build and charge you for an engine and advice like that. Why would any one build a stroker motor with less compression that the factory and call that safe. Also making statements like the LT1 doesn't respond to modification like a LS1 is pretty much taking out your a$$. There are plenty of people on these forms that are building very respectable horsepower with these LT1s but the difference is they (we) did our research and home work to make that possible obviously you didn't and your builder did even less.
IMO the cam selection should be in the 230-240 duration with minumum .540 lift and 110-112 lobe centers. A good forged flat top with 2 valve reliefs and you should be able to get an idea of your compression ratio changes by the type of piston you select. 11.5 to 1 for the compression, you may have to shave the heads to get the compression were you want it also.
Good Luck
Old 11-02-2006, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Im sorry disregard the comment about Lt1's, i was the one that talked him into staying with the LT1 in the first place...i just got offended by people saying i have no sence and bla bla bla...i said that i wasnt used to lt1s.....and i know if you put a heads and cam on a ls1 you get 400 easyly...... a stock lt1 at 250 to the tires or so i find it hard to make 400 rwh with a head and cam package....

ps....i live in cen-california

the guy that built the car thought he completely new what he was doing. If i new he was doing a 9:5:1 build i would have said stop we dont want that. my buddy that was having the car built got mad at me, for calling the guy that was building it. i was hassling him about the car and telling him that he will need to put a bigger cam then a hot cam to hit the correct numbers.so i stopped calling him due to my friend getting mad at me and this is how it turned out...i can tell you all the work and parts will be done for free again because he didnt get what he paid for. some builders have to learn the hard way. so no one fret were going to get this bad bitch running right...however he raced a stock ls1 tonight and got beat pretty bad

Last edited by Mr_president; 11-02-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well all in all, even though you built the motor kinda weird if you think about its a pefect motor for......BOOST!

So since your already at this point, start looking at a blower setup because your car will be very fast.

I wouldnt bother trying to make a new" built motor NA now, just throw on a procharger and have fun!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
Well all in all, even though you built the motor kinda weird if you think about its a pefect motor for......BOOST!

So since your already at this point, start looking at a blower setup because your car will be very fast.

I wouldnt bother trying to make a new" built motor NA now, just throw on a procharger and have fun!
no offence

1. it's not my car it's my buddy's
2. I am not the builder, just the middle man try to help my buddy out
3. he cant afford a supercharger so it will have to be rebuilt for high comp and a custom cam or cc503 seems to work well in the 383's.

thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Launching!

ok... well I would suggest getting that compression up... and with the flow numbers of those heads he can take the cheap way out and do a cc306, or he can call and get a custom grind from Joe O, AI, or call comp they have a ton of grinds they dont advertise. Make damn sure he has 1.6 roller rockers, and get a good tune... once again I do stress once you do this take it to a track... LT1's are NOT dyno queens... and most of this guys 1/4 will be the first 200 ft that you wont feel unless you are at a track that will hook. I know what your saying about it being slow, but if you drive a 10 second car 11s will feel slow... I know my car feels slow as dog **** on motor now that I am used to it on the kit... but 11s to 97% of the country is blazing
Old 11-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Launching!

not familar with the cc503 anything around a 230/236 on the intake and 236/244 on the exhaust would work pretty good... a 383 is going to like more lift than a 350 that is why I said make sure on the 1.6's. but with those heads I would def. keep the lift below .600
Old 11-03-2006, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

ya defanetly the lift will be below, even 570; however he does have adjustable 1.6rr in there. i called the builder and asked him today.
The pistons he has now are JE -16 dish pistons.....he needs a flat top...5 in the hole and a 32 thousands gaskit what do you guys say?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

320?? welcome to my world bro
Old 11-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Launching!

honestly after thinking about it... I dont see how he got 9.5:1 compression... I have dish pistons (cant remember what cc, and definatly not just valve reliefs) and I was going to still be running 10.5:1 with stock heads... after milling the **** out of em' and a lil smaller head gasket I eased up to the 11.0:1 mark. When I ordered my rotating assembly that was the lowest compression I could find... So you may want to check with that engine builder and do some math, because 9.5:1 really isnt adding up. but I could easily be wrong on that. But either way if it aint gone cost nothing definatly go with the flattops.

The comp cc306 would be a 230/244 .544/.577 w/ 1.6 rocker arms... pretty good cam if he is going to spray it... You may want to look into a cam with a lil more intake duration if he is just wanting to run on motor.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

yea that cc306 does look good!

Quick Reply: 383 stroker only put down........320 rwhp & 369 rwt why??