LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Th400 flexplate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Th400 flexplate?

I know I can use a stock flexplate, and I know alot of people make SFI cetified stock replacements. Before you say it, yes I searched, but found nothing to help.
My Vigilante is setup to use a dual pattern flexplate and bolt to all 6 lug holes in the flexplate; which I would really like to do...
I cannot find a Flexplate for my app anyone who has done this or knows which one to get, please chime in.

I need:
153 tooth flexplate (stock tooth count)
1 piece rear main seal crank mounting
dual torque converter bolt patterns
INTERNAL balance (my 383 does not need the weighted flexplate)
SFI certification

Thanks in advance
-Justin
Old 11-10-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM# 14088765 12 3/4" (O.D.) 1986-up 3.00"(bolt pattern) 10.75"(flange pattern) 153 tooth For one-piece crank seal. Used with 5.7-liter HO engine.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

I bought an SFI Scat flexplate for about $40 off Ebay. PN is FP350L-153-SFI. SBC 153 tooth, 86-up.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll check into the Scat flexplate... The GM one listed above is not SFI certified.
Im looking for a flexplate with dual bolt patterns for the Torque Converter(10.75" AND 11.5" bolt circles)
Old 11-10-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only difference between a 1pc seal and 2pc seal flexplate is the center holes I.D. correct?
I thought I found what I was looking for untill I noticed a different dimension for this hole.

Being that Im using a trans brake, and that Precision sent 6 bolts, I would really like to use all 6 bolts.
Besides, the bolts are smaller in diameter than I remember them being for the 4L60 converters.
Ive found the correct tooth count and T.C. mounting points but on external balance flywheels. My motor needs a neutral balance flywheel
Old 11-10-2006, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fire67
but on external balance flywheels. My motor needs a neutral balance flywheel
Cant you just grind the weight off? Take it back to the shop and see what the R/A balances after that.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I can use a stock flexplate, and I know alot of people make SFI cetified stock replacements. Before you say it, yes I searched, but found nothing to help.
My Vigilante is setup to use a dual pattern flexplate and bolt to all 6 lug holes in the flexplate; which I would really like to do...
I cannot find a Flexplate for my app anyone who has done this or knows which one to get, please chime in.

I need:
153 tooth flexplate (stock tooth count)
1 piece rear main seal crank mounting
dual torque converter bolt patterns
INTERNAL balance (my 383 does not need the weighted flexplate)
SFI certification

Thanks in advance
-Justin
When you say dual bolt pattern do you mean it has the converter is setup for the large and small bolt pattern.

If this is the case I dont believe there is a 153 tooth flex plate that is setup for the larger pattern.

If you mean that the converter actually has 6 bolt holes all setup for the smaller bolt pattern, that would be something Ive never seen before. Not sure what you would have to do.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry I can't offer more info on my Scat. I can't really remember. The motor will be coming out of my T/A soon so I can inspect then.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I couldnt find one eather for an internal balance so I just got an external one cut the weight off and zero balanced the flex plate.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Give TCI a call. That's where I got mine. It was like $90 shipped. They have one for your application. It is a 153 tooth, neutral balance, 1 piece rear seal flexplate. Although I cannot remember the part number.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foggedz
When you say dual bolt pattern do you mean it has the converter is setup for the large and small bolt pattern.

If this is the case I dont believe there is a 153 tooth flex plate that is setup for the larger pattern.

If you mean that the converter actually has 6 bolt holes all setup for the smaller bolt pattern, that would be something Ive never seen before. Not sure what you would have to do.
Exactly, small and large bolt circles.
I have found externally balanced flexplates with the configuration I need; i.e. 153tooth, dual bolt pattern, etc..
But I need one internally balanced.
Meziere and CSR will drill their flexplates for the second set of mounting bolts... For an additional charge of course
I just cant justify spending $400 + shipping for a damn flexplate.

Can anyone think of any drawbacks to removing the weight from one of these and having it re-balanced? Would it void the SFI certification?

I can either do that or buy one with the single bolt pattern and have the local machine shop drill the flywheel for the second bolt pattern. Then just check the balance.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vigalante LT1
Give TCI a call. That's where I got mine. It was like $90 shipped. They have one for your application. It is a 153 tooth, neutral balance, 1 piece rear seal flexplate. Although I cannot remember the part number.
With dual bolt patterns for the converter?
I searched their website and all their vendors catalogs to no avail. That would be ideal.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys, Ive found a flexplate with both patterns by JW... Its for a 2pc seal engine, but thats not the point. The 2nd, larger bolt pattern is too large for a 153 tooth flywheel. The holes are there, but so close to the the ring gear that a bolt head would not clear, let alone the mounting pad on the converter.
So Im gathering that Im gonna need to get a 168 tooth flywheel (assuming is will clear) and a starter that will either work for both tooth counts or for a 168 tooth count flexplate.
Anyone have any issues swapping to the larger 168 tooth flywheel other than having to change starters?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

Ok guys, Ive found a flexplate with both patterns by JW... Its for a 2pc seal engine, but thats not the point. The 2nd, larger bolt pattern is too large for a 153 tooth flywheel. The holes are there, but so close to the the ring gear that a bolt head would not clear, let alone the mounting pad on the converter.
So Im gathering that Im gonna need to get a 168 tooth flywheel (assuming is will clear) and a starter that will either work for both tooth counts or for a 168 tooth count flexplate.
Anyone have any issues swapping to the larger 168 tooth flywheel other than having to change starters?
in my 3rd gen, the headers would not clear the starter with a 168 tooth flexplate installed.
imo, you should drop the idea of 6 bolts in the converter and just run 3. unless your making 2500hp, there is no need.
its like running 2 shoestrings on one shoe.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I havnt checked this topic in a while, but this is what I was eventually trying to get to. The 153 tooth flexplate is not large enough for the larger bolt pattern. The easyest thing to do would be to grind down the mounting tabs for the larger pattern so that they well fit inside of the ring gear of the 153tooth flexplate, and just use the holes for the smaller bolt pattern. The larger tabs will fit with a little grinding. I really dont see the purpose in going to a larger flexplate to acomidate the larger pattern. You will not be gaining any needed strenght, by adding the extra bolts. The three bolts are more than enough.

I still dont understand the actuall pattern that is built in to this converter. Do you actually have 6 mounting tabs spaced evenly apart, or 3 tabs with 2 holes in each tab?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually have 6 tabs spaced evenly apart, 3 on the smaller bolt circle, 3 on the other.
Precision even sent the damn thing with 6 bolts.
On my call to Precision, they told me that it would be a good idea to use them if at all possible because of the Trans Brake, approx. 800fwhp, and 28x10.5 slicks.
Im gonna call now to see if I can get a different tech on the phone for a 2nd opinion. While Im at it, I'll be asking about grinding the other three down to clear the ring gear.
Will post up what I find out.

vtec-
What kind of headers did you use on the third gen? My pacesetters dont come anywhere near the starter. And if I get a mini starter thats clockable, I should be able to ensure that it clears.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

vtec-
What kind of headers did you use on the third gen? My pacesetters dont come anywhere near the starter. And if I get a mini starter thats clockable, I should be able to ensure that it clears.
these were heddman's. i was running a ministarter as well. (my converter had dual bolt pattern)
it was a pain to pull all that mess back out and change the flexplate simply because it wouldnt fit! lol
Old 11-18-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vtec
these were heddman's. i was running a ministarter as well. (my converter had dual bolt pattern)
it was a pain to pull all that mess back out and change the flexplate simply because it wouldnt fit! lol
I hear you there! lol... Ive installed and pulled trannys back out so many times its rediculous. I could probably do it blindfolded by now

The guy who owns the shop Im working on my car at has ALOT of old school chevy parts, complete engines, transmissions, etc. So many he has a forklift to get up to the top racks and dig parts out. Im headin there now to 'borrow' a 168 tooth starter to check clearance. Hopefully it works and I can just have the piece of mind knowing I didnt have to hack anything on this converter/flexplate setup.

BTW, I didnt get a chance to call Precision yesterday because of work, will call monday to see what they say.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem Solved!!!

Got "The Wheel" flexplate from JW... 168 tooth, dual pattern, 1pc seal, neutral balance!
153/168 tooth Powermaster clockable starter...
It all fits/clears!!!!!
Maybe I'll get this thing going in time for Snowbirds after all
Old 11-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

nice!!

Quick Reply: Th400 flexplate?