LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 TA Build, what will I need????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude..your cars a 96..obd2..you can get it to pass with not a single emissions thing on your car. call bryan at PCMFORLESS.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Snyper
dude..your cars a 96..obd2..you can get it to pass with not a single emissions thing on your car. call bryan at PCMFORLESS.
Assuming they dont do any visual inspections, which most states do if they do a sniffer test. One look under your car, or one look under your hood will result in an immediate fail without emissions equipment.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

very wrong. a 355 is much cheaper than a 383 and a 383 is much cheaper than a 396. Theres alot more block machining and clearancing to do with a 383/396. You have to make the crank fit.
Really? How can you say what someone would charge to build it? Ive HAD mine built, and the engine builders quote is in hand, in writing.

Price it out and the rotating assembly's COST the same for a 355 or 383 as long as your planning to use the same kind/brand components. A 396 crank could cost a few hundred more but thats it.
The difference in parts cost was not enough to were my engine builder would not charge any difference to get and assemble the parts.
Yeah the 383 AND 396 need block clearancing, but they both do so the difference in LABOR cost would be minimal. Again not enough of a difference in cost for my engine builder to charge any different.

Very correct. My engine builder must be more fair in pricing than yours
Old 11-17-2006, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

I WISH!!!!!

Here in denver the do a full visual inspections, then you get the sniffer in the tail. They then put you on a set of rollers and run all the way up to 55mph. Its not like Cali but it's no walk in the park! I guess the big thing is I need to keep all the smog/cats and Air pump stuff. Not sure if anyone makes turbo headers with air hook up's. KEEP LOOKING AND HOPE TO HEAR GOOD THINGS FROM PTK!

Thanks
Ross
Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

PTK should be able to handle it. Even if on a special order basis.

You'll have to convert to one cat somehow due to the single downpipe. With both post cat O2's being placed in the same pipe after the cat. PTK can more than likely provide a highflow cat already installed in the downpipe. Just have to ask. Your best bet would be to get Jose on the phone.

You will probably find it to be alot cheaper to go S.C., emissions longtubes, a pair of highflow cats in a aftermarket y-pipe, etc. Your gonna have to relocate alot of emissions stuff to keep it functional. I tried keeping my emissions when I first installed a supercharger. Then as things progressed, it became much cheaper/easier to remove it all. Thankfully Florida doesnt have any emissions checks.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rat Raceway
I WISH!!!!!

Here in denver the do a full visual inspections, then you get the sniffer in the tail. They then put you on a set of rollers and run all the way up to 55mph. Its not like Cali but it's no walk in the park! I guess the big thing is I need to keep all the smog/cats and Air pump stuff. Not sure if anyone makes turbo headers with air hook up's. KEEP LOOKING AND HOPE TO HEAR GOOD THINGS FROM PTK!

Thanks
Ross
yep, took me a couple trys but i passed lol
Old 11-17-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fire67
Really? How can you say what someone would charge to build it? Ive HAD mine built, and the engine builders quote is in hand, in writing.

Price it out and the rotating assembly's COST the same for a 355 or 383 as long as your planning to use the same kind/brand components. A 396 crank could cost a few hundred more but thats it.
The difference in parts cost was not enough to were my engine builder would not charge any difference to get and assemble the parts.
Yeah the 383 AND 396 need block clearancing, but they both do so the difference in LABOR cost would be minimal. Again not enough of a difference in cost for my engine builder to charge any different.

Very correct. My engine builder must be more fair in pricing than yours
Clearancing the block isnt cheap, unless you go to some back door place. It would cost at least 500$ more to go from a 355 to a 396 anyone will tell you that. I didnt mean to hurt your fellings, im just going by what ive spent in the past and other people.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

I WISH!!!!!

Thanks
Ross

Well PTK allows you to keep all of your emmissions stuff sept for the air tubes into the headers. You can leave everything on and still have the computer program them out.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

visual under the hood will screw him there tho
Old 11-17-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94z28L
visual under the hood will screw him there tho
just thought of that too. Your best bet would be to register it stock..then do everything once its been inspected.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

just thought of that too. Your best bet would be to register it stock..then do everything once its been inspected.

Well looks like the front mount turbo set-up is not going to work! No way I will pass the visual under the hood. We have to test every 2 years!

The 96 Lt1 comes with two Cats! With this setup I can only run one! Enviro Test (Testing Company) says "YOU MUST HAVE 2 IF IT CAME WITH 2!"

Just got off the phone with the guys at PTK! GREAT GUYS! THEY KNOW THERE STUFF! From what he said It's not worth doing the turbo on a 396. Only see a 15 to 20 HP improvement. The front mount system will perform better on a smaller engine! Stock Cubes will give better HP then a larger engine with there turbo setup. They do use all the Emm. hookup's but, this is not a street/Emm. legal kit!

So it looks like the STS kit might be the way to go!

Talked to Mike at neweraperformanceparts.com ANOTHER GREAT GUY! He runs a big inch LS1 with a STS turbo and is seeing over 700 RWHP. He has given me hope running a big inch turbo motor. Looking at the STS kit with a upgrade t76 turbo will be just what I need.

Just a shot out to the people at the 2 companys above! Wish everyone I have talked to was as helpfull and easy to deal with.

QUEST FOR BIG HP NUMBERS COUNTUNE!

Thanks
Ross
Old 11-19-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well looks like the front mount turbo set-up is not going to work! No way I will pass the visual under the hood. We have to test every 2 years!

The 96 Lt1 comes with two Cats! With this setup I can only run one! Enviro Test (Testing Company) says "YOU MUST HAVE 2 IF IT CAME WITH 2!"

Just got off the phone with the guys at PTK! GREAT GUYS! THEY KNOW THERE STUFF! From what he said It's not worth doing the turbo on a 396. Only see a 15 to 20 HP improvement. The front mount system will perform better on a smaller engine! Stock Cubes will give better HP then a larger engine with there turbo setup. They do use all the Emm. hookup's but, this is not a street/Emm. legal kit!

Talked to Mike at neweraperformanceparts.com ANOTHER GREAT GUY! He runs a big inch LS1 with a STS turbo and is seeing over 700 RWHP. He has given me hope running a big inch turbo motor. Looking at the STS kit with a upgrade t76 turbo will be just what I need.

Just a shot out to the people at the 2 companys above! Wish everyone I have talked to was as helpfull and easy to deal with.

Thanks
Ross
before you go all sts crazy might wanna see what nhra just ruled on turbos, rumor flyin around is that they have to be in the engine compartment, bandimere will bust your *** on anything against nhra code
Old 11-19-2006, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Mike!

I will look into for sure. I just looked at the 2006 NHRA RULES REVISIONS.
Only thing I could find was...

Page 108 (12/05)

Turbocharger: Replace last sentence with "DD/AT: Single turbocharger limited to 76mm; twin turbocharger prohibited on four-cylinder applications."

If anyone know about this rule being added where do I find it! I sure dont want to gave a STS system and not have a place to race it!

Starting to look more like a S.C. is going to be the only way I can go!

Thanks
Ross
Old 11-19-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you look in the drag racing section there's a thread in there that has nhra in the title and it has a link in that thread to new new revisions for 2007
Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks
Ross

Dude, just get a procharger! It'll be cheaper than STS in the long run and make more power. You want big numbers outta your big motor, a D1sc is good for approx 700rwhp, a F1R goes way higher.
Sorry but that guys numbers outta a big inch LS1 just dont impress me. Turbo's are supposed to give huge HP numbers... STS produces numbers like a Powerdyne

Last edited by Fire67; 11-21-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fire67
Dude, just get a procharger! It'll be cheaper than STS in the long run and make more power. You want big numbers outta your big motor, a D1sc is good for approx 700rwhp, a F3R goes way higher.
Sorry but that guys numbers outta a big inch LS1 just dont impress me. Turbo's are supposed to give huge HP numbers... STS produces numbers like a Powerdyne

Yep! looking more and more like a ProCharger set-up! I found a tuner that has done a few car with the same set-up I am going to use. Just all around easyer to do a SC. Start looking in that area now!

Thanks
Ross
Old 11-20-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep! looking more and more like a ProCharger set-up! I found a tuner that has done a few car with the same set-up I am going to use. Just all around easyer to do a SC. Start looking in that area now!

Thanks
Ross
If you need any ProCharger info or a good price let me know. I'll be glad to help. Ive got a few contacts for excellent pricing on kits.

Quick Reply: 96 TA Build, what will I need????