LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cylinder wall question??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cylinder wall question??

I have been in the process of tearing down my motor for mods over the winter I had justremoved both heads about 2 weeks ago and finally got time to work on it again when I noticed that my cylinder waslls were dryed out and have lost there glaze. Is this A problem I should worrie about. if so what can i do or have to do to fix it. I am kinda lost here.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the motor apart or assembled? If torn down I would check the cylinder wall taper first. Then if it was with in spec I would just hone and re-ring. Other than that it sounds pretty normal, but I would spay some WD-40 on the cylinder walls to keep from rusting.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is together still what other precationg can I do to stop any rust also if for some reason it does begin to surface rust Can I save it. Sry for the dumb questions. Just I will be working on it off an on all winter so It will have the heads off for awhile.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WD-40 on it I've had a motor sitting for a few years and there's no surface rust on it because it has engine oil on it still. I have a set of double hump backs that I never got around to using that don't have rust either due to having their original oil on them. You'll be fine with WD-40.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

Just to be on the safe side just get it honed...I did the same thing with Wd-40 seemed to work pretty good.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya looks like I might have to anyway sucks to because I can still see the factory hone Xs in my walls. I dont know if thats normal but I was really trying to avoid taking the bottom end apart. I guess I will see when the times comes to put it back together who knows what will happen I will try to have some pics up of my teardown tho right now it is just the block sitting in the car nothing but the opti, crank pully, ac pump for now, and the accssesory braclet that held the alt and PS pump. I am debating if I want to just pull the block out being that I can see and reach the top 2 tranny bolts and both motor mounts.

lol Sry for the long paragraph

Quick Reply: cylinder wall question??