LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i found a deal on a spec billetsteel flywheel for $230 shipped. thanks for your help.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Are you talking about the stock LT1 flywheel having a weight you can take off? Do you (or anyone) have a picture of the stock M6 flywheel showing this? I had my 383 rotating assembly balanced but the flywheel was in a different shop so the guys didn't use/take into account my stock flywheel. From the first time I wound it out to any degree I felt a weird vibration and I feared the guy had not really balanced it, but after reading this thread, it sounds like it might be the flywheel itself. It didn't vibrate on the last motor (355) and it was balanced too, but by a different shop.

Originally Posted by streetwarrior96
yeah the weight "off" (sorry). being held on by 2 little screws. Best to remove it b4 you install the flywheel. If your motor is internally balanced that weight on the fly wheel will thow the balancing off
Old 07-22-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your stock flywheel has the weight "built into" the flywheel. The only way to get rid of it is to machine it off. This thread was referancing an aftermarket flywheel where the manufaturer has the weight location set up so that the user has the option to unscrew the weight from the flywheel. Your one peice rear main seal crankshafts are advertised as "internal balancing", while in fact they are internally balanced on the front half of the crank and externally balanced on the back half of the crankshaft. Sounds like your machine shop didn't balance things properly.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

egads... thanks. Jesus... I've been sick about this. I spent so much money and waited over 2 years to get this motor(long story but suffice to say HPE was the shop).
Old 07-22-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

If you buy a zero balanced flywheel for use with an internally balanced engine DO NOT remove the weight on the flywheel. I was told to do that by people on another forum and ended up ruining my first fidanza aluminum flywheel.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I'm trying to find a neutral balanced flywheel as we type. I think the SPEC part# SC85S (Steel) is the one that will do. I'm just trying to verify with the vendor if it comes as a neutral balance or has the removeable counterweight to allow it to become a neutral balance.

Originally Posted by 91Z28
If you buy a zero balanced flywheel for use with an internally balanced engine DO NOT remove the weight on the flywheel. I was told to do that by people on another forum and ended up ruining my first fidanza aluminum flywheel.

Quick Reply: Flywheel