LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Locking header bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97Formy
I went with 1" bresslin bolts and felpros gaskets. No leaks as of yet. It's only been two weeks since I got the LT's on but everything seems to be running goods so far. Bresslin bolts are a good buy in my opinion. Although they are a PITA to install but well worth it IMO.
where can u get those i like them its like a posi lock for headers
Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperzone
sorry, dumb question... 1" bolts will thread entirely into the heads with no issues right? I think I tried one once but, it wouldn't thread in all the way and I just ditched them and stuck with the originals.
Yes they will.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gun5
where can u get those i like them its like a posi lock for headers
I got mine locally but I think you can get them through Summit
Old 01-24-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

I got mine locally but I think you can get them through Summit
nope dont carry them im looking cant find crap.. id rather have these then Stage 8's
Old 01-24-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I swear I just saw them on summit yesterday and now am only finding this... maybe I thought I saw something I didn't but, I thought I saw more stuff than this :

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...0&autoview=sku
Old 01-24-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Found them here though : http://www.exoticmuscle.com/webpage....CATSEL=EXHAUST

there's alot of stuff on that page so, just use your browsers search page function and search "breslin". They are selling for $70.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

nope dont carry them im looking cant find crap.. id rather have these then Stage 8's
Well Summit does carry breslin bolts so I really don't know what to tell you. But If all else fails you could take a drive to Austin and buy them from Austin performance. Thats were I got them
Old 01-24-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hyperzone
Found them here though : http://www.exoticmuscle.com/webpage....CATSEL=EXHAUST

there's alot of stuff on that page so, just use your browsers search page function and search "breslin". They are selling for $70.
that's a bitch $70 then under them stage 8's for $49 pretty gay...
Old 01-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

that's a bitch $70 then under them stage 8's for $49 pretty gay...
Use the bolts you want to. All locking bolts work. I've never used the stage 8"s so I'm not going to say anything bad about them, but I have used Breslin's and I have absolutly no complaints so far
Old 01-24-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Use the bolts you want to. All locking bolts work. I've never used the stage 8"s so I'm not going to say anything bad about them, but I have used Breslin's and I have absolutly no complaints so far
well im sure the allen wrench is easier then a gay C-Clip.. im gonna pick some stage 8's up locally i guess how can i tell if my header gaskets gone bad??? also one of my flanges is leaking (paper crap gasket) can I just cut my own outta alum or do they sell metal ones at autozone or something (I assume hookers flange is 3"?)

thanks, Ryan
Old 01-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

well im sure the allen wrench is easier then a gay C-Clip.. im gonna pick some stage 8's up locally i guess how can i tell if my header gaskets gone bad??? also one of my flanges is leaking (paper crap gasket) can I just cut my own outta alum or do they sell metal ones at autozone or something (I assume hookers flange is 3"?)

thanks, Ryan
lol
Old 01-25-2007, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Go with Breslin. Well worth it from my experience. Buy a cheap Craftsman 12point 3/8" wrench and grind most of the head off for clearance..... I never tightened a header bolt after I put my LT's in. Ive said this 3 times before anyone caught on.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless you have a midget on hand, a 4 year old that likes to work on cars, or the motor out, all locking bolts are just a PITA. It can be worth it to get them on, but if they dont work, you will be cussing the whole time removing them.

I had issues with the stage 8 fittings that go over the bolts stripping over time. ( the bolt is in a hex pattern, and the retention fitting would round off around the hex.(most likely due to vibration) Essentially I had locked on pieces of crap that were hard to get off.
Do all stage 8 bolts fail like this, most likley not, but they have lost my vote. Especially after how much they were. Sure they can send me a few new bolts if i call them, but that does not fix the fact of having to change a gasket after you put trust in their product.

And for those that have taken them off. What was the best way of removing the C clips, out of curiosity?

I am sticking with the lok tight paste from now on. It seems to work pretty well with a 1 inch bolt set.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by carzman5678
Go with Breslin. Well worth it from my experience. Buy a cheap Craftsman 12point 3/8" wrench and grind most of the head off for clearance..... I never tightened a header bolt after I put my LT's in. Ive said this 3 times before anyone caught on.
I had to do the same thing to get those buggers on. I have no exhaust leak as of yet so I'm very happy with them.

Quick Reply: Locking header bolts