LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

"stages" of head porting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "stages" of head porting?

what exactly classifies different stages of head porting?

everyone talking about "I've got a stage 2 port job on my heads" or similar statements have been made.

a while back I read some magazine (not really important which one, I think it was a 4x4 magazine) and they were saying that most "stage 1" port jobs were mild intake and exhaust work (around the back-side of the seat, port-matching) "stage 2" was more in depth work on the intake and exhaust (reworking the floor, area around the guide, etc.) and that "stage 3" jobs included combustion chamber modifications (changes made to improve "swirl" or polishing the chamber, unshrouding of valves, etc...)

is this on par with the "stage" system? or is it more like this:

a "ported" head should have all surfaces worked over (b/c no head is perfect), therefore: the amount of material removed/severity of port modification denotes the "stage" of port job that has been performed.

I know this knowledge isn't worth a hill of beans. regardless, I've always wondered if there was some standardized measurement to this "stage" jargon???
Old 12-03-2006, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Stages are just levels of labor put into the head for the mostpart. I would bet some shops "stage 1" they play with the whole port but do not do major reshaping. Easier to tell customers you recommend stage 1-2-3 vs. $800-$1200-$1500 for example. Continue talking, get them all excited and then once they are decided hit them with the price.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Kinda always wondered this too. Although I actually just like to look at runner size, valves, and flow chart.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

what exactly classifies different stages of head porting?
its whatever they want to call it.

I've always wondered if there was some standardized measurement to this "stage" jargon???
nope

Quick Reply: "stages" of head porting?