LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Those with a Moroso vaccum pump...come inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brettinator-
Def not what I thought it would be. I cant get an alt on the drivers side due to the procharger

Im ditching A/C and putting the alt in its place. I guess I assumed it would be the same setup im trying to do when I saw that idler pulley up in the alt's old location.

Tony-
Thanks for the heads up on the serpentine problem. I'll dig to see what I can find out.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fire67
Brettinator-
Def not what I thought it would be. I cant get an alt on the drivers side due to the procharger

Im ditching A/C and putting the alt in its place. I guess I assumed it would be the same setup im trying to do when I saw that idler pulley up in the alt's old location.

Tony-
Thanks for the heads up on the serpentine problem. I'll dig to see what I can find out.
If that's all you're trying to do there is a reloc brkt for the passenger side as well, forgot who makes it, but it just installs where the AC is like Tony's setup. Actually ask him bet he could steer you in the right direction.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:44 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tony, I have known David Reher for about 30 years, so I talked to him and Bruce Allen before I went to a vacuum pump. These pumps came around after I quit racing several years ago. He and Bruce Allen are where I go to catch up on new things. They put me onto this regulator that screws into the Moroso pump in place of the fitting for the hose to the valve cover. http://www.rehermorrison.com/items/VacuumPumpKit.htm

With this you don't use a bleeder in the other side of the engine that can allow dirt to be pulled through your engine. No shims, etc. Simple to adjust. Bruce & David told me to use 12" to 13" of vacuum for something like a bracket engine, since the power gains drop off per inch of vacuum above that level, and oiling problems can crop up at very high levels. I guess you have the added wrist pin clearances, etc, needed to use a vacuum pump with no problems?

Looks like your vacuum pump hose is in the top of the valve cover? Looks wrong to me, especially if you think about the amount of oil the rockers put up there. They told me to use the front ends of the covers, or upper side, behind the pushrods. If you don't have very low tension rings (lower than what comes in the box as "low tension") the gains will not be real big. I see a constant 10 rwhp change from taking the belt on & off. That is just the belt, not including the ring pkg. Smokes a tad with the belt off, and with it on lately since the cylinder walls are pushed out of shape and the rings worn out. These blocks move around a lot when you lean on them. Not real stong.

I get almost no oil in my catch can when the rings are in good shape. Got some lately with the blow-by I have been seeing. Had it honed and am putting new rings in it right now to fix that. My hose is connected on the pushrod side of my pass side cover, between pairs of pushrods.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:52 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldnt agree more,we have the intake bung welded on the SIDE of the valve cover..I'd do away with it in comming in from the top too,14in is the limit for street strip setup w/LT rings not to mention the needed pin clearance which we have too.

I already had the moroso relief here and didnt wanna order the new style from David Reher but I do agree its nicer than my moroso relief valve as it doesnt use shims..Our puke tank get a very small amount of oil,maybe a 1/2 teaspoon every so often..
Old 12-08-2006, 06:06 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by JS
I already had the moroso relief here and didnt wanna order the new style from David Reher but I do agree its nicer than my moroso relief valve as it doesnt use shims..Our puke tank get a very small amount of oil,maybe a 1/2 teaspoon every so often..
No shims, and it bleeds vacuum off right there at the pump inlet, instead of pulling air through the engine when it caps off the vacuum. Very nice piece.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is some great info Ed. I already have the other one coming though. Guess I will have to use shims.

It looks a lot like the ReherMorrision one like you have.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ed how about pulling from under the intake?

This is on my list of winter projects
Old 12-09-2006, 06:42 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv

I don't see how it matters where you connect, as long as the fitting is not located in an area flooded with oil. Don't want to suck the oil out of the engine. Mike (and I'm sure the rest of the Pro Stockers) now use an electric vacuum pump, in addition to the vacuum stage in their dry sump oil pumps. It uses a Dewalt battery originally used in drills, etc. Last I noticed, it seems like he was using 28" of vacuum. When he was using a regular belt driven pump like us peons, his pass side cylinder head was drilled and tapped for the fitting so they didn't have to mess with the hose every time the valve covers were off. Which is every time the car goes down the track. Most everybody else uses the valve covers. Either the front or side. Avoid the top or rear.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv

If by that you mean to use the old PCV valve location on the side of the intake I think it would be a great idea.

That port leads down to the bottom and its entry is sheilded by a splash sheild.
Using it would probably be the best location to make sure you dont pick up oil.

Ed-
Electric Vacuum Pumps !!!!
That would make it a whole lot easier to package on my setup... Where/what kind are people using?

Brettinator-
I know about that one, it wont work as Im trying to keep Power Steering.
Cant afford the Madman rack yet.

I saw one somewhere that used the stock bracket, relocated the alt. down to the A/C comps old position, and kept the PS pump in the stock location. I saw the pic you posted and the engine almost looked identical to this pic I found a long time ago. So I ASSumed that it was the same. Thanks anyway We can stop hijacking tony's thread now
Old 12-11-2006, 01:19 PM
9-Second Club

That PCV fiting is a tad small. Most kits use a -12 hose.

The electric pumps need recharged after each pass. Mike keeps one battery on the charger while running another one. Seems like it was a Pro Stock bike builder? S&S maybe, or George Brice? Just do a search. Looks like about everybody that fast in NHRA Pro Stock and Comp Eliminator has one now. They (users) are all listed in that web site.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 12-13-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, I dont want to be recharging after each pass...
How about the pumps used for supplying vacuum to power brake boosters and such. Would they pull enough volume? I always assumed they were 12-volt anyway. I think summit has a few.

About the PCV fitting, it is slightly small for a -12an, but seems to be something easily enlarged if memory serves correctly on this one...
I'll have to look at my old Lt1 intake when I get home today.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about the pumps used for supplying vacuum to power brake boosters and such. Would they pull enough volume? I always assumed they were 12-volt anyway. I think summit has a few.
I've heard of turbo Buick guys using EGR pumps off of other vehicles to pull crankcase vaccum (some at least). It's been awhile since I've looked at it...
Old 12-13-2006, 11:12 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by A-man930
I've heard of turbo Buick guys using EGR pumps off of other vehicles to pull crankcase vaccum (some at least). It's been awhile since I've looked at it...
Some have tried the AIR electric pumps but they only pull around 4-5 in of vaccum. Not very effective.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:53 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Some have tried the AIR electric pumps but they only pull around 4-5 in of vaccum. Not very effective.
Also, they don't like oil pulled into them, and the motors don't last real long. They run a max of 140 seconds at a time originally. Not worth the effort.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:54 AM
9-Second Club

About the PCV fitting, it is slightly small for a -12an, but seems to be something easily enlarged if memory serves correctly on this one...
I'll have to look at my old Lt1 intake when I get home today.
I think a -12an line and fitting would be a tight fit below the throttle body.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:51 PM
9-Second Club

Tony, looks like right now I'll be at HRP Friday night. Some Oklahoma City guys are coming, and I thought I'd run mine one more time with the F.A.S.T. setup on it before winter. If any of you Houston guys are there, look me up. I'll be in a pewter color old body-style ('99) Suburban, with a gray open trailer, black '96 TA with an Okie tag. Hope the track is prepped.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:56 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Tony, looks like right now I'll be at HRP Friday night. Some Oklahoma City guys are coming, and I thought I'd run mine one more time with the F.A.S.T. setup on it before winter. If any of you Houston guys are there, look me up. I'll be in a pewter color old body-style ('99) Suburban, with a gray open trailer, black '96 TA with an Okie tag. Hope the track is prepped.

If I did not have to work Saturday morning I would drive down there to see ya Ed. That track usually is prepped really well. Good luck!

BTW............how do you like the XFI? You running alpha N or Speed density?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:06 PM
9-Second Club

Speed density. Mine still has some vacuum.
A cam or two down the road, since I can spin it up, I may have to go Alpha N. Probably more gear also. With this small cam (compared to some of you ) it likes to be shifted at 7900. I think more converter, cam and gears it will perk up.

Take care, Ed
Old 12-13-2006, 04:36 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Speed density. Mine still has some vacuum.
A cam or two down the road, since I can spin it up, I may have to go Alpha N. Probably more gear also. With this small cam (compared to some of you ) it likes to be shifted at 7900. I think more converter, cam and gears it will perk up.

Take care, Ed
What is your kpa at idle? Mine is about 72.

Quick Reply: Those with a Moroso vaccum pump...come inside