LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Roller Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roller Rockers

Ok so I bought some Roller Rockers for my Pontiac 400 a couple weeks back, well I was looking through Ebay to see if I could have gotten them cheaper, well I stumbled across this auction, it was for a Full Roller Steel Rocker arm, 1.6 ratio for the self aligning centerbolt cylinder heads aka Lt1 or Vortech.

Well it really peaked my interest because they were only 120 bucks.

I messaged the guy and he said they were made by CAT performance.

I didnt want to buy RR because they are so expensive, but with these they seem good quality and really cheap. Anybody run them? or heard of them?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Having handled and breifly run the CAT rockers and run ProForms as well I will say the ProForm is a vastly superior product.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

what didnt you like about the CAT rockers?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Just an overall cheesy construction, they have a loook and feel that they used extra material in an attempt at strength rather than engineering. The SA tabs which you probably do not care about have been shown to rotate and fail resulting in a friend losing a motor when an aluminum flake from a no longer aligned rocker got to a bearing. That is a squared off washer on the CAT where ProForm uses a big teardrop which is MUCH more positive and can't rotate.

Then to top it all off the 1.65 ratio measured 1.6 when checked and when I contacted the seller they did not care which tells me they know just what junk they are selling.

ProForms are not much more and I ran those for like 47K, most of that cammed amd they are still in great shape.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So ProForms are good, eh? Good, because that's what I have.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

I bought a set of proform one time for a sbc i built and i ran the motor prob 1000 miles or so and i went to race someone one night and i broke 2 of them one of them broke the whole bottem off where it goes through the stud and one broke the tip off, i got my money back and orderd a set of comp cams and never again had a problem
Old 12-27-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Just an overall cheesy construction, they have a loook and feel that they used extra material in an attempt at strength rather than engineering. The SA tabs which you probably do not care about have been shown to rotate and fail resulting in a friend losing a motor when an aluminum flake from a no longer aligned rocker got to a bearing. That is a squared off washer on the CAT where ProForm uses a big teardrop which is MUCH more positive and can't rotate.

Then to top it all off the 1.65 ratio measured 1.6 when checked and when I contacted the seller they did not care which tells me they know just what junk they are selling.

ProForms are not much more and I ran those for like 47K, most of that cammed amd they are still in great shape.
Are you talking about the Stainless Steel rockers that CAT makes, or the extruded aluminum ones?
Man but that sucks about your friends engine, a buddy trashed his engine similarily but using the Crane Gold RRs they cracked right at the fulcrum and bye bye engine
Old 12-27-2006, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

I had the aluminums. Like I said though I found it very telling that they did not care when a set of "1.65" measured out to be 1.6, parts that far out of spec and the lack of care says a lot.

The cam I ran the ProForms on was a ZZ3 cam 210/224 .474/.510 using CM springs that were like 110lbs on the seat, so it was pretty mild.

On the current setup I went with ProMagnums, non-sa 7/16" studs GMPP guideplates, which honestly I think is the right way to go especially since you are starting on aluminum heads. That combo will be right for almost any future upgrades.
I started with an iron head motor with pressed studs so I had to stay SA till I either swapped heads.
I understand trying to save a buck been there myself a number of times, am learning it is cheapest to do things ONCE though.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats weird that they would mislabel them.
Anyways, I was talking about the Stainless Steel 1.6 rockers by CAT, I got the 1.65 RR for my Pontiac from them, and they look solid, havent run them yet. But the build quality looks on par with the Comp Cams magnum steel RR