LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

buying a high mileage lt1=bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, try to talk the price down a bit though. My car was close to immaculate when I bought it, 94 z28 M6, completely stock, very clean. Aroud 85k miles though, and I paid $4500 which two years ago, was about $200 less than the KBB. So the asking price I am sure is a little high for what you are looking at.

149k here, engine is still stupid strong, going to be hitting it with nitrous.
I wouldn't worry about the miles if everything has been maintained, I beat the **** out of my car and it keeps going.(Ignore my clutch threads ).
Old 12-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These lt1's don't seem to bad at the higher milage end of the spectrum. With proper care they will go for a long time. The price seems a little high so try and talk him down.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Deputy Damn, its been sold.

Oh well, better luck next time perhaps.

There is a few LT1s in Phoenix for dirt cheap

Well not really dirt cheap, but cheap otherwise. Only problem is that their automatics.

Both are 94 Z28s which can be shown here

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/243046630.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/249835106.html

I am afraid the autos will be dogs, but again when your comparing it to something like my car, I am sure it will still be like 8 times faster.

I do have a set of 3.42s lying around here somewhere.

EDIT: It's a bit off topic, and it regards the cars we commonly love to hate, but there is a guy in town sellin ghis 35th anniversary mustang GT 5spd with about 130k on the clock for 5500.

Problem is I don't know ford engines at all, I don't know how they age, or what abuse they can or cannot take. I know they can build trucks, that's for damn sure, but what about their sports cars? How do they compare to the lt1s/ls1s
Old 12-29-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 91ChevyRS

I am afraid the autos will be dogs, but again when your comparing it to something like my car, I am sure it will still be like 8 times faster.
Automatics are not a bad thing. Ignorance leads people to believe that manuals are always better. Go into the transmission section and see how many people have converted from 6 speeds TO automatics. You'll be suprised.

Originally Posted by 91ChevyRS
Problem is I don't know ford engines at all, I don't know how they age, or what abuse they can or cannot take. I know they can build trucks, that's for damn sure, but what about their sports cars? How do they compare to the lt1s/ls1s
Like everything else, a lot has to do with the maintence history. Every last one of my friends drive Mustangs. From 5.0's, 4 valve Cobras, 99+GT's, to 03 Cobras. Some of these cars are well into the 100k mile range and run great because they were all taken care of properly. Ask the guy who's selling it for some service records, and ask questions!

Good Luck.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get what you want to drive, if you really want a manual, get a manual car, if you want a auto, or go test drive it and see how it feels.

If the Mustang is stock don't expect to even beat a high mileage LT1, but then again, you do state you just want something with passing power, so I guess the Gt will fit the bill. I like the way they look, I just don't like how when they have more mods than you, you can still stomp them, seems like ford made a error somewhere.

Quick Reply: buying a high mileage lt1=bad idea?