LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

396 LT4, Needs TB.HELP! Mono or twin 58mm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

monoblade may be nice but I think that it was made for people with money to buy and brag about it. I would stick with 58mm b/c the hp gain isnt going to make up the price difference.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Show good to see you here!

Back in the day one of the rumors was running a Mono and big boost there was the possibility of bending the blade in the center when you lifted. I never experianced it mind you BUT I can tell you at idle I had 6PSI on the blower side of the throttle body. Never did get around to measuring the spike when they snapped shut.

May just be rumors but with boost all you will really get in return is a NASTY over sensitive throttle operation IMHO

BTW I HAVE a AS&M Mono and it is not on my car
Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Everyone!

WOW! Well I have a few votes for the mono and a few that say its just not worth the extra money.

Big thanks to all that have gave there input. Guess I will just have to do a bit more digging!

On a side note:

I have read that many people have had problems with the Holly TB. Is the BBK a better unit? I read that the Edelbrock is made by the same people that make the GM TB and they are calabrated too. Does anyone have a good 58mm TB sugestion (Not Holly?)

Thanks
Ross
Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Anything you put in front of the head that causes ANY restriction lowers the flow over the whole intake tract, it is not as simple as you say it is. I am building a solid roller 383, Pro Action (RHS) 235's a super vic and a sheetmetal elbow from intakeelbows.com with a Mono blade, anything you can do to lessen the restriction will make power.

Engine Masters Mag did a test with a carb on a 383, from a 650 to a 1200 cfm Dominator on a engine dyno, it made more power with each move upward in cfm, with little or no drawback, know why? Made the heads and intake tract more effecient.

The whole idea is to keep the plenum full, IMO a Monobalde will help on a engine that can utilize it.

David
In actuality it is as simple as I stated it. You hit the nail right on the head when you said:

[QUOTE=FASTFATBOY]Anything you put in front of the head that causes ANY restriction lowers the flow over the whole intake tract[\quote]

If your motor isn't utilizing the increase in tb size over the stock than how is it a restriction in the first place? It's not...

Simple stated, it is a necessity? Nah....Is it worth the price tag for most of the run of the mill LT1's being built? Nah....you can definitely find other areas to spend your money and get a better return on investment. They are pretty tho and really cool to talk about when people ask
Old 01-22-2007, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Well I ended up going AS&M Mono. I know its over kill, but just to nice to pass up.

BRETTINATOR
What do I need to do to do to make this TB work? Getting ready to drop the intake off at my mill guy.

Thanks
Ross
Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=The Big Show]In actuality it is as simple as I stated it. You hit the nail right on the head when you said:

Anything you put in front of the head that causes ANY restriction lowers the flow over the whole intake tract[\quote]

If your motor isn't utilizing the increase in tb size over the stock than how is it a restriction in the first place? It's not...

Simple stated, it is a necessity? Nah....Is it worth the price tag for most of the run of the mill LT1's being built? Nah....you can definitely find other areas to spend your money and get a better return on investment. They are pretty tho and really cool to talk about when people ask

Maybe with a speed density tune, where the TB is open and no CAI on it. But if its a streetcar with a CAI, filter etc. Anything to help pull in air is a plus. If you have a stock head casting, stock intake 383 I would agree with you.

An AFR 220 or above, LT4 or super vic intake, I disagree.

David
Old 01-23-2007, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rat Raceway
Well I ended up going AS&M Mono. I know its over kill, but just to nice to pass up.

BRETTINATOR
What do I need to do to do to make this TB work? Getting ready to drop the intake off at my mill guy.

Thanks
Ross
Good decision, it's a plug & play unit, just get your setup track tuned (recommended) or dyno tune would be the next best. You are using an LT4 intake right? If so it'll just bolt up, if you are using a SuperVic or VicJr. something you can use the elbow from intakeelbows.com, about $245. Of course you'll have to swap in your IAC motor on the bottom and TPS.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
Good decision, it's a plug & play unit, just get your setup track tuned (recommended) or dyno tune would be the next best. You are using an LT4 intake right? If so it'll just bolt up,

Thanks Brettinator!
Yes sir, running an LT4 intake.
So, There is no need to mill out the TB intake ports? I thought I would have to cut out the center. Dont I need to match the mono tb port to the intake? Or just bolt it on? Does the small hole under the intake ports carry coolent? Did you have to plug that hole?

Thanks
Ross
Old 01-23-2007, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

I ran a mono on my 355 and it picked the car up from a twin 58mm. I do spin my car more than most though but I don't feel you can every over tb a car. My stock motor piced up going from stock to a 52mm. My heads/cam 355 picked up going from a 52 to a twin 58mm and then picked up again going from the twin 58mm to a monoblade.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks Brettinator!
So, There is no need to mill out the TB intake ports? I thought I would have to cut out the center. Dont I need to match the mono tb port to the intake? Or just bolt it on? Does the small hole under the intake ports carry coolent? Did you have to plug that hole?

Thanks
Ross

Yes you have to cut out the inlet to match the Monobalde, That hole will be plugged when you bolt on the monoblade, I think that hole was for IAC on the factory TB, I may be wrong though.

David
Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 95 Formula
I ran a mono on my 355 and it picked the car up from a twin 58mm. I do spin my car more than most though but I don't feel you can every over tb a car. My stock motor piced up going from stock to a 52mm. My heads/cam 355 picked up going from a 52 to a twin 58mm and then picked up again going from the twin 58mm to a monoblade.

I rest my case.

David
Old 01-23-2007, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Yes you have to cut out the inlet to match the Monobalde, That hole will be plugged when you bolt on the monoblade, I think that hole was for IAC on the factory TB, I may be wrong though.

David
Thanks
David

That hole does not get pluged with the mono! If you place the TB on the intake and open the blade the 3ed hole is right in line with the mono intake. I will try to post a picture here in a bit if I can get the dang picture uploaded! Does the small hole carry coolent to the TB?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks Brettinator!

Thanks
Ross
Yes you do have to mill out the TB port on the intake, remove the center, use the gasket that comes with the ASM mono and scribe or perm marker it, the small hole for the IAC at the bottom of the intake does NOT have to be filled, it will still operate the IAC on the TB. So once you cut out the old IAC opening thingymadoodad it will just be a new IAC hole at the bottom of the big mono hole on the intake.

RatRaceway - It does not carry coolant, it's used for the Idle Air Control (IAC), just uses air.

Last edited by BRETTINATOR; 01-23-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

AS&M didnt send a gasket with the TB! I guess I will call them up! Thanks for the great info! Just what I needed to know! You Da MAN!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

AS&M didnt send a gasket with the TB! I guess I will call them up! Thanks for the great info! Just what I needed to know! You Da MAN!
Anytime Bro! Can't wait to see a vid of this beast running, good luck with it mang
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Hey guys!

Just wanted to thank everyone for there input! I know some of you think it overkill... but I ended up going with the AS&M Mono Blade TB! I just got my 60's too! Here are a few shots of my LT4 intake.

Thanks
Ross
Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Looks awesome man, when will it be running?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

I WISH I KNEW!!!!!!!!!!

My Procharger is now more then 3 weeks late and it does not look good! They said they don't know when it will ship! I guess they are missing parts. Need the head unit so I can do a test fit and make the mods on the block. So far only one thing has gone perfect, the Strange Rear. They poped that baby out in 2 weeks! I will post some more pictures when I get going again!

Thanks
Ross

Last edited by Rat Raceway; 02-09-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-09-2007, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
lmao...damn man you having an emotional breakdown there

Quick Reply: 396 LT4, Needs TB.HELP! Mono or twin 58mm?