LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need roller rocker suggestions please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need roller rocker suggestions please.

I dont have the money for a cam install right now, but I would like to increase my lift and maybe free up a few horses with a set of higher ratio roller rockers. Do they make a 1.7 ratio for a 94 LT1? If so, how much will that change the lift & duration? Any one have a suggestions or part numbers for 1.6 or 1.7 RR's? Thanks guys..
Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Do some more research. The RR only changes valve lift, not duration. LT1's really only work with 1.5 (stock) and 1.6 RR, anything higher requires a lot of work. Get a hotcam kit if you're on that much of a budget. It comes with everything you need. Or you can do it the better way and get some Crane Gold or Comp Pro Mag NSA rockers, guideplates, 7/16" studs and 918 beehive springs.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, are my stock studs 3/8's?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, that's correct.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

honestly i would save the money and buy the summit 3/8th stud, SA, and narrow body. they do the same thing and the quality is top notch. just my two cents.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Teching In

I'm havening the same problem... I have a 94LT1, but with a CC304 cam and CC983-16 Springs (came installed), stock tune and stock 1.5:1 Rockers. I've been looking on eBay and the common problem I'm looking at is.

Do I have 3/8 or 7/16 Studs ? (Thank you SeaWolf06, for that answer)
What will fit under my stock valve covers? (center bolt style).
Is there any recommendations? SBC, CRANE, COMP-CAM, or GM-Performance. (I'm looking to stay under 200 for the upgrade.)

I'm looking for Self-aligning and full roller tip. weather they are the Wide Aluminum style or the thin steal style is one better?

Any help would be great...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Doesn't matter wide or narrow, you can just modify your valve covers to clear. They have pics around somewhere. I'd say get Comp Cam Pro Mags.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Teching In

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP-...5245QQtcZphoto

Like these?

I'm trying to not have to modify my car (bang dents in my valve covers to clear). I know there are some that fit under the stock covers just not which ones?

I have spray on my car (100 Wet, single fogger in elbow) But I'm trying not to spray till I have the 1.6's, I'm hoping with them that I'll break the 300 RWHP mark off spray, I'm pretty close.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, those are the ones I'm talking about. You don't bang on the covers, you cut the supports on the inside. Can't tell from the outside at all.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Cool, thanks for the info guys, what about these aluminum ones?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-V...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-16-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bipolar
Cool, thanks for the info guys, what about these aluminum ones?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT1-V...QQcmdZViewItem
The only thing that I have seen go wrong with these rocker's is, after about 25,000-30,000 miles they fatigue and stress crack. The Comp Pro magnums are a much better rocker arm to go with and they also have 5% less weight on the tip of the rocker arm than MOST aluminum rocker arms. To get a set of the 1.7 ratio rocker arms you have to convert over to a adjustable valvetrain. The stock LT1's use a non-adjustable valve train. Comp sells the 1.7 rocker in the stainless steel rocker arms and are not self aligning. You would need new push rods that need to be guide plate hardened, guide plates, and new rocker arm studs.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are cheap, but I think the Promagnums are worth the extra $130. I haven't had any issues with mine.

All I did to make them fit was grind down the center support deals, I didn't even cut them out or anything, just made them flat.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Do not get Pro Form anything. The valvetrain is a very critical assembly and if you don't have the money to do it right, you could be spending a lot more down the line fixing broken parts. I'm all for finding good deals and using something that will work over something that's the best, but if you think about the stresses on the valvetrain parts, you really don't want to go cheap on springs, RR or pushrods.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Teching In

So the CompCams ones are the way to go then... they require minimal work to make fit compared to the stock ones and should give a healthy HP Gain over the 1.5's along with lasting longer than the aluminum ones. Anybody know were I can find a pic of what has to be ground down (the center bolt recivers I'm assuming for the valve covers) to make them fit? Nobody makes just an OEM replacement set (IE NO grinding). I'm trying to ad them without taking off the heads and I'm worried about grinding things down and getting metal shavings were they should not be. It's not that big of a deal to me... Just I try to get as much info as I can. I'm great at fallowing instructions and Am fairly competent at ripping things apart and putting them back together. I'm even ok at basic fabing and figuring **** out, but this is one of those don't want to half *** it things.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

I have a set of Crane gold 1.6 S/A 3/8 stud rockers for sale. They fit under the stock valve covers without any modifications at all.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a set of the GMPPs, and they fit under the stock rocker covers....
Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Comp cams makes a set of self aligning 1.6 ratio Pro Magnums so that you dont have to do any grinding. The part number is 1318-16.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info... I deposited my Paycheck yesterday so I'm just waiting to have funds available now... The CompCam Pro Magnums are the way I'm leaning but the Crane Gold ones look bad *** and I have some friends with them... Unfortunately they all paid shops to put them in, so nobody knows what kind of effort went into putting them in. If they don't take and modding and just bolt in they might be a better option. I'm way to up in the air on this. What about noise anybody have opinions? The Aluminum ones seem bigger and bulker thus more solid. but are they louder than the Comp ones?

Speed_Demon24 I sent you a PM...

What is the difference between?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comp-...QQcmdZViewItem
and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP-...5245QQtcZphoto

Other than the price? They look different but are both Comp Cams S/A Magnum 1.6's for SBC.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Well you don't have to worry about metal shavings, because you would grind the supports down on the valve covers, which would be off the car.

I wish I had pics, just those supports on the inside that go across, you just have to grind them flat. Someone said they just cut them completely out, I guess thats a option too, but I just grinded them down, I figure GM put the supports in there for a reason.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Well you don't have to worry about metal shavings, because you would grind the supports down on the valve covers, which would be off the car.
Ah so it's on the valve covers not where they bolt to the heads. I was confused. That's not bad at all.

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I wish I had pics, just those supports on the inside that go across, you just have to grind them flat. Someone said they just cut them completely out, I guess thats a option too, but I just grinded them down, I figure GM put the supports in there for a reason.
LOL.... good logic. Pics would be nice... I just installed my CSR Eclectic water pump and I had found a guy who actually made an entire page devoted to swapping it out... pics were a huge help, especially when it came to cutting the little notches in the stock pump to make it fit. I have not removed my valve covers yet because it's my daily driver and it's not the cleanest or most accessible thing to do.

Quick Reply: I need roller rocker suggestions please.