LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OBDI to OBDII ???? 94 LT1 to a 96 LT1 SWAP ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDI to OBDII ???? 94 LT1 to a 96 LT1 SWAP ??

I'm replacing my weak 94 LT1 and M6 with a 96 LT1 and M6. The 96 are OBDII however, the 94 is OBDI. What's involved in this swap? Is it only a matter of taking the 94 setup and replacing it with the 96? My new package comes with the computer and everything, anything else needs to be done beside taking the 94 out and put the 96 in?
Also, what work do you save if you take the engine off of the top instead
of the bottom?
Every help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dropping the motor out the bottom is your best bet, especially if your doing the tranny with it. I know there is a lot more work involved in taking the motor out the top therefore being much easier going out the bottom.
If you are using everything from the 96 then all you will need to do is replace it with the 94 (with the computer as well). if you plan on keeping it OBDI then you need to change the block knock sensor.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

I'm not going to put the engine and the tranny all at once on the car, I will put the tranny on after the engine from the bottom. As of now I got the 94 transmission out of the car, I still have the engine on, my garage roof is kinda low so I'm a little concerned if I'll be able to raise the car enough to take the whole thing of the bottom and that's why I started thinking to take the engine of the top. I will be taking the hood off just to make a little more room in case I'll end up taking it from the top, but my question again is if taking it from the top would save me work that I have to do if I take it off of the bottom. What work do I avoid by taking it from the top instead of the bottom? I know they are designed to get out the bottom, but again my garage roof is low, how high will I need to raise the front of the car?
Old 01-21-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://ken.lowrance.com/Projects/Hea...ineRemoval.htm
http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

Guides to dropping the motor from the bottom. I think there is a little bit more going from OBDI to OBDII also ... I know some of the schematics are different, that might be an important question to ask from someone who knows a little more.

Quick Reply: OBDI to OBDII ???? 94 LT1 to a 96 LT1 SWAP ??