LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How to stop the Crank Position Sensor Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not my engine.. someday ill have a tub K-member needa fix the leaks first.. we where just gonna tack weld it... if it comes to welding it.. if anyone does have a 95 timing cover im open for trades as long as it works with my vented opti?? isnt the vented 95-97
Old 01-25-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll have to pull it out and measure the diameter of the hole. If you cant get a freeze plug to work, the hardware stores usually have those 'universal' plugs that consist of a hunk of rubber, a washer, and a nut you turn to expand the rubber in the bore. That outta seal it.

The bore in the cover for mine hase a nasty looking scratch going from top to bottom. I didnt think it would seal, but it does. And I didnt even get a new o-ring. So the bore in yours must be f*cked if you cant get it to seal with a new o-ring.

RTV in the bore with the CPS sensor isnt gonna do jack unless you clean every bit of oil from both surfaces. Then use the grey rtv, its tuff stuff.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

lucky **** mine bleeds like a SOFB

universal plug's?? wouldnt the rubber get hot and melt and such or it might expand.. does the cover have to be pulled for that method we'd like to keep it on car
Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive used those expandable rubber plugs on numerous things. They are intende for capping pipe stubs, but they hold up. Its not just simple rubber, its EPDM or whatever. In my first car, a POS 82 porche 924 turbo, I used one to replace a freeze plug... Had the car overheat bad enough to crack the head, that plug still didnt leak a drop.
SOME auto parts stores carry them, and if you find one there, they are an oil resistant rubber. (They are meant as an emergency type of freeze plug replacement)

Looks like a cylindrical piece of rubber, with a slightly larger o.d. washer on top and a smaller one on bottom. The washers are linked together by a bolt that when tightened draws the two towards each other, expanding the rubber and making it squeeze against the bore.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fire67
Ive used those expandable rubber plugs on numerous things. They are intende for capping pipe stubs, but they hold up. Its not just simple rubber, its EPDM or whatever. In my first car, a POS 82 porche 924 turbo, I used one to replace a freeze plug... Had the car overheat bad enough to crack the head, that plug still didnt leak a drop.
SOME auto parts stores carry them, and if you find one there, they are an oil resistant rubber. (They are meant as an emergency type of freeze plug replacement)

Looks like a cylindrical piece of rubber, with a slightly larger o.d. washer on top and a smaller one on bottom. The washers are linked together by a bolt that when tightened draws the two towards each other, expanding the rubber and making it squeeze against the bore.
well if i can get one little enough to fit in that sensor hole and can do this with it on the car its all good
Old 01-27-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

anyone have a timing cover off a car they can measure the hole I dont want to drain the oil then measure/ put it back in then have to wait for the damn thing just do it all at once

Quick Reply: How to stop the Crank Position Sensor Leak?